home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
sideways242
Board Member

Question b230ft+Microsquirt+CAS DSM= NOT IDLING...?

Whats up Brickers,

Ive spent the last couple months putting together a b230ft with a microsquirt, LS coils, and CAS DSM with yoshifab adapter. Ive tested all ouputs and everything is good so far, spark, fuel, crank signal etc... Ive followed the write up on installing and wiring in the CAS (hence the crank signal) but unfortunately im getting mad starter kickback and intermittent starting with it immediately dying out. I am a 100% noob when it comes to tunerstudio so any ideas would truly help! I'll add a picture of the CAS clocked when at TDC below.
Cheers!

CAS DSM
sideways242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
JohnMc
PV Abuser

There's a separate cranking spark angle setting, that might be your issue with the kickback.

And maybe try ye olde fashioned timing light to see what is actually coming out at the spark plug after MS and DSM and etc have had their way with your signals.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
bobxyz
Board Member

I used to remember this stuff, but it's been a few years now... It may be in this thread: The official DSM CAS information and install guide or in a different DSM CAS thread. Try a google search for "dsm cas edge yoshifab site:turbobricks.com" since the search function here doesn't take 3-letter words.

The cam/crank signal edges used by MS2 / MS3 / MicroSquirt vary some. I forget which uses which edge. Try flipping the CAM edge (Second Trigger Active On) between rising/falling and see if that helps. If it does, you might need to flip the crank edge (Ignition Input Capture) too. You can also do some searching and find a Composite Logger view of the DSM crank/cam signals, to make sure you don't have the wiring swapped.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
sideways242
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
There's a separate cranking spark angle setting, that might be your issue with the kickback.

And maybe try ye olde fashioned timing light to see what is actually coming out at the spark plug after MS and DSM and etc have had their way with your signals.
Ill try a timing light now and see what I find! thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
sideways242
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxyz View Post
I used to remember this stuff, but it's been a few years now... It may be in this thread: The official DSM CAS information and install guide or in a different DSM CAS thread. Try a google search for "dsm cas edge yoshifab site:turbobricks.com" since the search function here doesn't take 3-letter words.

The cam/crank signal edges used by MS2 / MS3 / MicroSquirt vary some. I forget which uses which edge. Try flipping the CAM edge (Second Trigger Active On) between rising/falling and see if that helps. If it does, you might need to flip the crank edge (Ignition Input Capture) too. You can also do some searching and find a Composite Logger view of the DSM crank/cam signals, to make sure you don't have the wiring swapped.
Thanks bobxyz, Ive followed the Gross Polluters post to a T, incredibly helpful thread! I was just turning the car over and im seeing that the microsquirt is varying between "cranking" and "not cranking" in its reading the entire time im turning the car over. I can also hear a relay from my board clicking while cranking. I originally thought this to be the fuel pump relay cycling its, but now I fear that my main relay is receiving intermittent power while cranking.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
sideways242
Board Member

My main relay is not the issue, its the fuel pump ground turning on and off, which doesn't explain the intermittent crank reading issue...hmmmmm
Old 08-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
sideways242
Board Member

Changing the cam input to rising edge did the trick. It starts every time and idles smooth for about 7 seconds before dying out!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
Hodginsa
Always

Maybe your warm up settings are incorrect? Post a log! Even just a screen grab if its only 7 seconds.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #9
Dirty Rick
Board Member

I used the DIY 24-1-1 disc as a 12-1 crank for a fast sync

50-mm-optical-trigger-wheel

They also sell a 54mm wheel
Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 AM   #10
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Don't mess with the warm up settings until you have a solid hot tune, they will have to be reset after the hot tune is adjusted.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
DagazEnterprise
We Don't Roll

Does anyone have pictures or the write up for installing this CAS on the back of the cylinder head? The original pictures are long since gone.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
brickin

I just dealt with a dumb issue on my similar setup. Turned out crank signal noise was dropping a tooth here and there. Hard to even spot on tooth logs. Turned out my non-resistor spark plugs were the culprit. Switched plugs and it cleaned right up.

Issue: NGK BP7ES
Solution: NGK BPR7ES
brickin is offline   Reply With Quote