home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Default VP Autoparts 140 sport exhaust

Anybody have any experiences with the sport exhaust for 140's from VP?
Contemplating buying one but don't want to waste my money on something like what IPD sells for a sport system.

Videos/sounds would be appreciated as well.
It's all just lifter noise til it comes out the side.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
Tfrasca
Board Member

I had that exhaust from VP. No sound clips, sorry. It sounded good, but was barely louder than stock.
Tfrasca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
sksmith
Board Member

Have one in the box waiting to me to finish the underside of my 142. Sorry, can't help with the sound.
It's a Simons exhaust, if I recall. I didn't think IPD still sold a 140-series sport exhaust.
If you're looking for a plug & play system, I think this is the only game in town.
There is a guy selling Ansa tailpipes on Ebay, if your looking to spend a bunch of cash. He's listed two different styles. They are NOS though, so expect to pay thru the nose.
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

I use the simons sport exhaust on my 245. They flow better than stock. Have better build quality. So installation goes well. Has a bit of sound but are quiet overall. The 240 systems lasted about 6 years each time so reasonable service life for a winter brined daily driven system. If you don't drive the car in the winter. It will probably last twice as long.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
VolvoNut4Ever

I put a Simons 2" sport exhaust on my '72 142 last year and like it a lot. I tend to favor SKANDIX over VP Autoparts due to their great customer service and spectacular shipping speed (either are reliable though). Hard to make a comparison to the stock system in terms of sound quality since the old one I replaced was rusty and had some holes in it. That said, the sound has a nice rumble on idle and there is zero drone at any speed. I chopped off the odd curly portion of the tailpipe, leaving the straight-out portion that I then added a chrome tip to. Interestingly, the sound level increased somewhat and sounds a bit more aggressive on acceleration when I made that change -- apparently that curly tailpipe section contributes pretty significantly to quietness. Since my intentions are for a sporty character, this works well for me. After a complete engine rebuild this spring, I added the Simons 4-1 header that bolts right up to the 2" exhaust with a Simons 140-specific adapter pipe. The effect of adding the header was huge -- much more aggressive sound on acceleration and really makes driving more fun. Definitely recommend.

Incidentally, due to a redundant order from another vendor, I have an extra adapter pipe that mates the Simons 4-1 header to the 2" sport exhaust. PM me if interested.
VolvoNut4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
amazon bill
Board Member

Interested! I have been looking for that adapter 4, yrs.! I think that is the link from my skandix 4-2-1 header to the simons on my amazon! Car has been on hold for 9 yrs due to life!

Simons on everything ! Ha

Thanks

Mike
amazon bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Shinchan
Board Member

Just a related FYI, VP has told me that they keep a stock of these exhausts in their US warehouse, so if you are in the US you should be able to get these shipped with a domestic shipping charge and not have to wait 4-6 weeks for a cargo container...

Last edited by Shinchan; 08-19-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote