home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 09-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
DanMarino
Board Member

Default So how do you like your IPD VX Cam?

I've got a non-turbo 240 wagon and have been thinking about getting the IPD VX cam. Those of you who have installed one, how do you like it?

Thanks,

DanMarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
DurableSwedish
Hunting for a turbo

I think the RSI n/a stage 2 cam is a more fun cam. It also depends what your goals are. if you are looking for more torque and stump pulling power, throw in a T cam. if you have a manual transmission and aren't afrait of revving the car to 7k, get a K/H cam
Old 09-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
irollturbo
Board Member

I like it. I have a wagon with the VX cam and a sedan without. The wagon with the VX revs much more freely and smoothly whereas the stock cam doesn't inspire confidence to rev. The power difference is not enormous, but is noticeable. The way I describe it is that the VX cam allows the accelerator petal to be more than a volume adjustment on the highway and actually inspire some forward acceleration. I may pick one up for the sedan on the IPD sale this weekend, since I have to do a timing belt anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
I've got a non-turbo 240 wagon and have been thinking about getting the IPD VX cam. Those of you who have installed one, how do you like it?

Thanks,

irollturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
volvoboy90
sanna kärlek är svensk

I rode my VX cam for nearly a year with little adjustment thanks to IPD's adj cam gear. The difference... was, meh... underwhelming. I mean, it IS there, a bit, but it isn't anything to scream and shout about. Although, it is the only cam I have tried, so I can't really vouch for the others. I just with I had gone with their turbo cam, if I had known I was going to do a +t so quickly.
keeping the "oldies but goodies rockin' down the road"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMick View Post
*PICK YER POISON*...either put a raw egg under your gas pedal
and tip-toe around town - *OR* learn to live with the GREAT FUN of
sucking unsuspecting "other brand drivers" into the educational benefits
of NEVER underestimating a "grandpa car" again....hee, hee....

RIP TrickMick You'll be missed
volvoboy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

Get an A or D if you want to wake it up a bit. The VX only felt better at higher RPM where the factory cam died at 5k.
badvlvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
swedish-rocket
Board Member

It was a noticeable difference. I went 18.6@73 mph stock with a 1990 Volvo 240 and after the vx cam install + the ipd upgrade exhaust the car went 17.4@79 mph. Idle is good also.
swedish-rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
architectom
Board Member

b23 w/ m46- dropped the cam (+adj. cam gear) in and drove ~3K in august- much better balanced power band- more responsive over 2500, etc.- I'm pleased, but it is no miracle cure
architectom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

There are much better cams for the money/There are cams that will do the job for much less money.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
smokeyfan1000

Someone on TB said the Volvo Penta D cam did the best on an n/a 240 of all the cams he tried...........
Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
vvpete
Board Member

What trans? Whay year/engine management?

If it's a Manual 2.4/3.1 I like the VX a lot, have had 3 of them, give it some advance and it will be torquey enough to drive all day under 2k rpm with free-rev's to redline,
If it's and auto, the VX is not so great, would get an A over a VX.

On K-Jet and cars w/adjustable ign timing, advance it, get a lopey cam and rev away, like a H,K or D AFTER increasing compression, if it's not already over 10:1. If you don't increase compression it's a waste of time & money with these cams IMHO
vvpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
vivalavolvo
Board Member

Where do you guys find other cams for sale? RSI seems to be out of NA cams.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
kenneth rigney
Board Member

the cam is good at higher RPM. Probably would never know in a automatic. It will not give you a boner or anything.

kenneth rigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
DanMarino
Board Member

Thanks for the great feedback. I have a 1992 automatic so I think I'll pass on the IPD VX. I'll keep my eye out for one of those other cams.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
Idealgaslaw
Board Member

K cam all day. no substitutes.
Idealgaslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Sensh
Team Zissou

I know this is kind of a dead thread, but I just installed a "B" cam in my 1989 5-speed 245, and the difference is quite significant. I hate to say dramatic, but it's much more like what I expected the original car to feel like. In fact, I'm wondering why Volvo didn't use this cam in the US to begin with. Emissions, maybe?

The change isn't mind-blowing, but it's more linear right off idle (my old "M" cam had a bit of a hole just off idle) and everywhere above 3,000 RPM it feels much more willing to rev. It never feels like a rocket ship, but it never falls on its face either. The M-cam just felt like it HATED to rev. Like it was resisting revving. With the B-Cam it feels like a normal OHC engine, nd that is a pretty significant change, I think.

I'm super pleased.

1989 Volvo 245 5-speed
1978 Land Rover 88 Series III Safari
1979 Citroën 2CV
1984 Mercedes-Benz G230 Gelandewagon
1975 Honda CB400F cafe racer

Javea, Alicante, Spain
+34 (639) 57 74 03
Sensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
Lol-vo
Board Member

I like my VX, I have a 1990 automatic car. The throttle response is 10x better, it revs better, and has a lot more "midrange" power. I have my ignation advanced a-bit with the adjustable cam gear and I re-diddy'd the valvetrain a bit plus a tune up with a open exhaust and a K&N filter. Car pulls better at mid range, but off the line I didn't notice a difference, but you sure can notice it when you're on the highway making a pass or doing a 30-60 run or something. Not mind blowing performance, but as others have said, probably what the car should have had in it stock. My idle is fine, its a bit lopey when it first starts up, but it smooths out right away.

Current Volvo's:
1.) 1990 244 DL - The Slow-Vo.
2.) 93 945 Tic - A hearse.

Previous Volvo's:
1.) 96 850 R (MONEY PIT!!!)
2.) 89 245 the ol' wagon finally kicked the bucket
3.) 2004 S60 R (An evil Ex took it)
Lol-vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #17
blu92in99
I hate you all, equally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensh View Post
"B" cam ... I'm wondering why Volvo didn't use this cam in the US to begin with.
They did, up until about 1981(?), then the "M" cam took over for the US non-turbo redblock...and yup, it was for emissions reasons.

Although I personally never had a problem smogging my K-jet 242Ti with a B cam, or K cam for that matter. Hell it even passed with the iPd 'turbo' cam, though not by much!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #18
DanMarino
Board Member

I installed a B cam last weekend and adjusted the valve shims. So far I like the B cam a lot. Definitely quicker up to 80 mph when getting on the interstate.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
badvlvo
Bad for Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyfan1000 View Post
Someone on TB said the Volvo Penta D cam did the best on an n/a 240 of all the cams he tried...........
On my low compression B21F it was pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
I installed a B cam last weekend and adjusted the valve shims. So far I like the B cam a lot. Definitely quicker up to 80 mph when getting on the interstate.
It's better than the M for sure, but there are better out there if you want more out of it.
badvlvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #20
Djw21a
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvlvo View Post
Get an A or D if you want to wake it up a bit. The VX only felt better at higher RPM where the factory cam died at 5k.
Would these cams go well with a system like Regina? I've read the entire thread but haven't heard any mention of Regina + A different than stock camshaft.

The most plausible reason I suppose is because Regina does suck @ times. Either way I find myself curious. Car--93 940 AW71, Regina.
Djw21a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
Idealgaslaw
Board Member

my H cam and regina don't get along well. I think its because there is probably no vacuum.
Idealgaslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:13 AM   #22
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

For an inexpensive upgrade, the B cam is tough to beat. Just make sure to adjust your valve shims. Also, just about every LH 2.4 car that I installed a B cam in had a slightly rough idle, but it's well worth it.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #23
DanMarino
Board Member

Yes, my 1992 with the B cam idles lumpy too.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #24
Djw21a
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
For an inexpensive upgrade, the B cam is tough to beat. Just make sure to adjust your valve shims. Also, just about every LH 2.4 car that I installed a B cam in had a slightly rough idle, but it's well worth it.
How about w/ Regina? Anyone tried anything camshaft wise with Regina? I know the system sucks ass turds to most of the people here but unfortunately some of us are presently stuck w/ the system and would like to see @ least "some" improvement.

Just my opinion of the system, h/w it hasn't failed to get me home though
DJ
Djw21a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #25
Onetrillionrpm
Board Member

Op I put a k cam in my 87 244. Man what a difference. K cam with intake and exhaust mods leaned me out enough to warrant new bigger injectors. I would recommend the k to anyone who wants a quick bolt on non turbo brick. Also spend money on suspension stuff like bracing and better struts. Not a $200 cam.
Onetrillionrpm is offline   Reply With Quote