home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 02-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #1
Catsby

Default 1994 Volvo 940 oil pan

Hello All, I own a 1994 volvo 940. Was trying to pull the oil pan on it today and I was able to get the motor jacked up and hung so I could get the oil pan out but I still didn't have enough clearance. Is it recommended to drop the front crossmember, the one that the rack sits on as well? I dont see how I could get it high enough otherwise.
Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
PCH
Board Member

May be this 240 info can help some: http://cleanflametrap.com/oilpan/

What keeps the motor from going high enough? On 7/9 you may want to remove the distributor cap before it hits the firewall.
PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
Catsby

Mines the regina/bendix so the dizzy is actually in the front. Ive jacked the motor up with a block of wood under it and it wont go high enough up to pull the pan out.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
Mr. V
Board Member

"Take off license plate and bracket so you don't make new holes in your body. Place car on jacks. Locate them on box frame just before the box slopes and becomes small. Take off belly pan. Unbolt sway bar at frame only. Undo steering shaft at U joints and slip upward. Remove negative cable from battery. Remove intake hose (turbo) from intercooler to intake manifold. Loosen power steering reservoir. Clip tie holding hose to motor mount. Under engine, remove nuts and bolt from bottom of pass. side motor mount. Remove entire motor mount series of bolts and nuts, 6 total. Snug up and lift slightly on engine jig. I used a nut to tighten and lift the hook eye connected to the lift hook on the thermostat housing. Unbolt the frame, 4 bolts. It will drop slightly. Undo bolts and remove the reinforcement plate between engine and bellhousing. Remove motor mount from the driver side. No need to remove actual rubber from metal portions. Unbolt oil pan, drop and rotate nose toward the driver side (this is why you remove the motor mount. Remove oil pump, replace with new one and new rubber O rings on feeder pipe. Lube rings with oil or Vaseline to help with reassembly. Carefully reassemble pump to block aligning pump driving shaft with driving shaft from engine. Clean pan and gasket leftovers."

source: http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900F...%20Replacement
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #5
Catsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post

"Take off license plate and bracket so you don't make new holes in your body. Place car on jacks. Locate them on box frame just before the box slopes and becomes small. Take off belly pan. Unbolt sway bar at frame only. Undo steering shaft at U joints and slip upward. Remove negative cable from battery. Remove intake hose (turbo) from intercooler to intake manifold. Loosen power steering reservoir. Clip tie holding hose to motor mount. Under engine, remove nuts and bolt from bottom of pass. side motor mount. Remove entire motor mount series of bolts and nuts, 6 total. Snug up and lift slightly on engine jig. I used a nut to tighten and lift the hook eye connected to the lift hook on the thermostat housing. Unbolt the frame, 4 bolts. It will drop slightly. Undo bolts and remove the reinforcement plate between engine and bellhousing. Remove motor mount from the driver side. No need to remove actual rubber from metal portions. Unbolt oil pan, drop and rotate nose toward the driver side (this is why you remove the motor mount. Remove oil pump, replace with new one and new rubber O rings on feeder pipe. Lube rings with oil or Vaseline to help with reassembly. Carefully reassemble pump to block aligning pump driving shaft with driving shaft from engine. Clean pan and gasket leftovers."

source: http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900F...%20Replacement
I am gonna be honest, this confuses me a little bit. When he says "unbolt the frame, 4 bolts. It will drop slightly." is he describing the front crossmember that the motor sits on?
Old 02-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #6
Mr. V
Board Member

Yes, it has the motor mounts bolted on to it.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:33 AM   #7
Catsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Yes, it has the motor mounts bolted on to it.
Excellent, that’s exactly what I needed to know. Thankyou.