home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
yugo4life
Board Member

Default LH 2.0 to 2.2 and coil question

I have an 84 244 as my daily and picked up an 87 parts car, mainly for the interior. Since I have it though, I was looking to swap to LH2.2 using the 2.0 harness. I know I had found a thread at one time showing all of the items that needed to be changed, but now I can't seem to find it. A Google search shows that the only real difference in the wiring is to the AMM, but I thought there was a bit more to it. Anyone know if there is anything else?

Also, I noticed that the coil in the 87 parts car is larger in diameter than the one in the 84. It looks the same and has the same hookups, just larger in diameter. Rockauto and Autozone show them both using the same part number, but the larger one fits in the 87 coil holder, but not the 84's. The previous owner had a bunch of 240 and 740 parts so I am assuming it may be from a 740. Were the 740's larger or better? Just trying to weed through the parts and see what I have.

Thank you!
Old 08-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

It might be that the larger coil just has more oil in it. That is a good thing. As long as the resistance is the same they should both work on either car. They are both cars using the chrysler ignition box so you are just changing the fuel injection system parts.

I'd use whatever wiring harness is in the best condition. A 240 fuel injection harness can be removed complete so you can also do replairs to the harness before you install it.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
yugo4life
Board Member

The 2.0 harness that is in the car looks good and hasn't given me any issues once I repaired the oil pressure sender wire. That was the only one that was really crusty that I have seen so far. I will just modify it to run LH2.2.

I will have to check the resistance, but the parts car ran good with it for the 25 miles or so that I drove it home.
yugo4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 AM   #4
NWVlvTnr
'83 Biege 245 DL DD

Default 2.0 to 2.2 conversion

I converted my 83 245 to LH 2.2 seven years ago. I did so using the 2.0 harness and would happy to help you. If a little wiring doesn’t scare you I’d highly recommend adding ezk ignition while you’re at it.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
yugo4life
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWVlvTnr View Post
I converted my 83 245 to LH 2.2 seven years ago. I did so using the 2.0 harness and would happy to help you. If a little wiring doesn’t scare you I’d highly recommend adding ezk ignition while you’re at it.
Thanks for the offer! I am keeping the car N/A for now, but had considered adding ezk and then just swapping out the ECU if I ever turbo.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
NWVlvTnr
'83 Biege 245 DL DD

There are a number of ignition coils used on rwd Volvo’s over the years. Broadly all stock red block coils, excluding breakerless and Regina, interchange.

In a nutshell all you need to do is plug in the ecu and re pin the AMM. I recall a thread from long ago where someone stated he used the 2.0 metal body AMM but have no long term data regarding that.

If you’re goal is to add a turbo I can personally attest that running turbo ecu’s on an naturally aspired 2.2 application has no perceivable effect on drivability or performance.

Last edited by NWVlvTnr; 08-16-2019 at 02:58 PM..
NWVlvTnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
yugo4life
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWVlvTnr View Post
There are a number of ignition coils used on rwd Volvo’s over the years. Broadly all stock red block coils, excluding breakerless and Regina, interchange.

In a nutshell all you need to do is plug in the ecu and re pin the AMM. I recall a thread from long ago where someone stated he used the 2.0 metal body AMM but have no long term data regarding that.

If you’re goal is to add a turbo I can personally attest that running turbo ecu’s on an naturally aspired 2.2 application has no perceivable effect on drivability or performance.
Awesome, that's what I was thinking regarding the rewiring for 2.2, but it is always nice to hear it from someone who has done it!