• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

91 240 Heat soaked dying issue

taylor84240harris

There seems to be a few post on this issue but nothing i can find with my particular set of symptoms. Ive got a 91 240 with 155000 miles and its been giving me fits for the past few months. Most recently while driving to work in the afternoon ill be about 20 miles into my trip when the car starts to spotter and chug and eventually dies. It will not restart for about 20-30 minutes. Its really hot here, (Oklahoma) around 102 degrees for the high. Ive completed a stage 0, plugs, wires, new fluids, maf cleaning, crank angle sensor, new fuses, cap, and rotor. It has also had an intermittent starting issue where it will crank for about 6-8 revolutions before starting that may or may not be related. I have not been able to verify spark after it dies as i am alone. Ive read it could be the power stage getting heat soaked. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Im not sure that it is working to be honest. I dont hear it turn on with the ignition nor do i hear the relays click on. Something i will definitely look into this weekend.

Fuel pump relay. Check that first. You can hold the relay while someone cranks. If you have any spares on hand to test, use them.

Carry a spare relay and when the car dies, swap it out to see if it helps.

Other than that, sounds like fuel vapor lock. Been there done that.

You can use a wire or a remote starter switch to check for spark. If you bring a plug with you, you can set up a little spark test bench on the strut tower and peek at it through the opening on the hood while you crank it.

Im leaning towards dying ignitor, followed by dying intank pump causing vapor issues or low fuel pressure.

Do diag. Got a test lamp? Lamp to coil negative the ground. Crank. Blink? If not, diag ignition.

I had an issue with a problem like that on my sister's 244. Turns out that the problem was the ignition computer that mounts to the fire wall on the passenger side foot well. Once the car cooled down,[It was summer time, the car ran fine.] Took me a little while to figure that one out.

Definitely check the power stage, most parts stores have it listed as the ignition control module. I had a 91 wagon with the same issue, swapped out the power stage in the driver's fender and it fixed the issue. Sadly the only way I know how test it is by swapping the part.

The power stage was the issue. Got a new Bosch unit and have had no issues for two weeks. The thermal paste on the back was completely dried up and im sure was contributing to the overheating, along with being 28 years old. Thanks for all the input and advice!

Back