• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1994 940 axle in a 1980 240

don alán

.....will it bolt on without issues? My guess is yes, but I could also use some advice from all you Volvo veterans out there ;-)

sheesh , not everybody speaks emoji, chillout :lol:

Anyways, I'd love to have this newer rear-end in my 240. I wonder how much modification it would need, might as well go for an 8.8 at this point...

Last edited:
You'd need to get a later 1040 240 rear end and swap the R&P & G80 [I presume?] from the 940 into it but the axles themselves and how they mount are totally different.

Cut, weld. Repeat. Anything(ish) will fit if you can fab.

I was wondering that, it would be nice if there were some pre-cut mounts out there. I wouldn't mind the width if it isn't too much, I'm sure I could make it work.

I mainly want the rear end for the electronic speedo and 4.10 rear end :e-shrug:

You'd need to get a later 1040 240 rear end and swap the R&P & G80 [I presume?] from the 940 into it but the axles themselves and how they mount are totally different.

Well shoot dang, if thats the case, I should take the ring and pinion + G80 from the 940 and save them til I get my hands on a newer 240 rear end to swap out later. The 940 is getting scrapped ..

The rally guys actually prefer the 1030s because the gear sets and LDSs are cheap and readily available.

As long as we're still talking bolt up that is...

You can fit a G80 into any rearend that is in a 240. Just have to shorten the driveshafts around 9mm from both sides if I recall correctly, excluding 1040.

Also 1031 and 1040 have the same size ring and pinion if you are looking to change the ratio and already have a 1031. Or just buy one with a desired gears.

You can fit a G80 into any rearend that is in a 240. Just have to shorten the driveshafts around 9mm from both sides if I recall correctly, excluding 1040.

Also 1031 and 1040 have the same size ring and pinion if you are looking to change the ratio and already have a 1031. Or just buy one with a desired gears.

Thats awesome, I'll be looking out for a later 240 rear end at the junk yard soon. Those 1980 3.10's don't seem to fit my recipe.

Last edited:
Back