• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 T5 Trans Swap Questions Thread 2: Build log and important question

89_740Turbo

Updated: 3/1/19

So for those who are not aware, I am currently preparing to swap a 1989 World Class T5 transmission into my 1989 740. My 740 utilizes hydraulic clutch and is not cable clutch.

Firstly, I will sum up some of the problems I have encountered so far.

1. There is virtually no information of T5 swaps into a 740 online. 98.99999% of T5 swaps completed are for 240's

2. Most of the things out there made for the swap are made for a T5 swap into a 240, although some of the parts can be used on a 740

3. I wouldn't consider this a problem, but choosing which way you will adapt the transmission onto the Redblock will determine how you effectively get it done. The Deeworks way, Yoshifab way or Ben's way. I am using Bens way.

The first thread is here and the questions I had from thread 1 are,

1. Is there a specific flywheel I need to use that works with lh2.2? If so, which one? If not, can I use the stock T5 flywheel from 1989?
Answer: Any flywheel is fine, flat or dog dish, as long as it is a Volvo flywheel. For my swap, I am using a flat flywheel.

2. Is it correct that I can reuse the throw out bearing that's currently on my 740, or is it the release bearing I can reuse?
Answer: Throw out bearing and release bearing are different names for the same thing. For the swap, whether it be 240 or 740, you will need to use a different pilot bearing. Mustang pilot bearing has a little more depth to it, so I will be using that.

3. If I recall correctly, the bellhousing from a hydraulic clutch is different then that of a cable clutch bellhousing. My idea was to get the bellhousing mounted to the trans before I pulled the engine. Would I need another hydraulic clutch bellhousing to do this or can I use a cable one? Would they both work?
Answer: Yes, either will work. Different forks with pivot installed in different places.

4. Can I reuse the clutch fork?
Answer: Yes. The throwout bearing is the same between cable and hydro so they should both work. Yes, I know I said clutch fork. I have hydraulic so it will still work. That was a typo but still informative.

5. Do you know where I can get a cross member for a 740 w/ T5 or will I have to make my own
Answer: You will have to make your own.

Thanks to arsenix for the answers. Now onto what parts I currently have, what I am/will be using, what I still need to get AND some questions regarding the transmission itself.

I currently have,

1. 1989 WC T5 transmission from a V8 Mustang

2. Refinished flat flywheel

3. Short throw shifter

4. 2 piece drive shaft

5. T5 Slip Yoke. I will be using this slip yoke

6. Pilot bearing. I will be using this pilot bearing

I am aware that I am missing stuff right now but I have not moved forward with buying anything else yet because I want to make sure that I am buying the correct thing.

What I currently need,

1. Clutch and pressure plate. For this I will be using Yoshifabs stage 3 setup.

2. Speedometer cable. For this I will be using Yoshifabs T5 mechanical speedometer cable

3. Modified Bell Housing. Ben from Kaphlenke racing will help with this.

4. Release/Throwout bearing. I am probably going to use this throwout bearing

…….. NOW for additional questions regarding the transmission.

I am well aware that a T5 swap into a 740 will cause the shifter to basically be completely underneath the fuse box. There is a way to correct this but it requires some heavy alterations/modifications to the car and transmission itself.

A remedy to this that I have learned is to use the tailshaft from a T5 trans that was in a Comaro. This tailshaft will allow the shifter to basically sit right where the stock shifter sits. I know Ford and Chevy T5's are different lengths, so does anyone know what year T5 Camaro tailshaft I need to use with my 89 T5 in order for it to work? I pray someone has this answer! Thank you!

Last edited:
"I am well aware that a T5 swap into a 740 will cause the shifter to basically be completely underneath the fuse box. There is a way to correct this but it requires some heavy alterations/modifications to the car and transmission itself. "

I bought a relocation kit from I think Billet?
Similar to this, you can find others way cheaper.
Had to hammer a bit for it was hitting a bit under hard pedal stompin and that car only had 200 ish HP.

https://www.sikky.com/product/t56-s...BqQGSJoONbHCdugFniQBlwbcUzoJs7URoCg_MQAvD_BwE

"I am well aware that a T5 swap into a 740 will cause the shifter to basically be completely underneath the fuse box. There is a way to correct this but it requires some heavy alterations/modifications to the car and transmission itself. "

I bought a relocation kit from I think Billet?
Similar to this, you can find others way cheaper.
Had to hammer a bit for it was hitting a bit under hard pedal stompin and that car only had 200 ish HP.

https://www.sikky.com/product/t56-s...BqQGSJoONbHCdugFniQBlwbcUzoJs7URoCg_MQAvD_BwE

So if i'm understanding this correctly, a shifter relocation kit will allow me to use the T5 without having to use a Camaro tail shaft OR have to butcher the car?

Do these kits allow you to use a short throw?

My son installed a WC in his 91 745.
He modified the cross member by widening the opening in order to fit a Mustang urathane mount.
The shifter was a made from round stock, heated and hammer formed, then threaded.
He used a flywheel that had been modified; then sensor notches were machined into it.
A local drive shaft shop made up a new driveshaft.

My son installed a WC in his 91 745.
He modified the cross member by widening the opening in order to fit a Mustang urathane mount.
The shifter was a made from round stock, heated and hammer formed, then threaded.
He used a flywheel that had been modified; then sensor notches were machined into it.
A local drive shaft shop made up a new driveshaft.

He probably used a lh2.4 flywheel, but which is still handy because it's backwards compatible with lh2.2. Looks like I will have to fashion my own way to get the shifter to work or have one custom made.

Also, does anyone know if it would be wiser to use a adjustable throw out bearing instead of a non adjustable one?

Last edited:
You can swap the input bearing retainer from the Mustang to GM/Camaro very easily. Then run the Speedway hydraulic TO bearing. Easy and no more mechanical anything.

As for the tailshaft IIRC all the Camaros were the same with a small 4 bolt pattern. Then get a beautiful Pro 5.0 shifter to match! (comes in T5 Camaro, T5 Mustang, or T56 patterns and they are glorious!)

FWIW if you find a Gen4 V6 Camaro T5 I could use it. You can keep the tailshaft. (this would be a S10 center mount hybrid)

You can swap the input bearing retainer from the Mustang to GM/Camaro very easily. Then run the Speedway hydraulic TO bearing. Easy and no more mechanical anything.

As for the tailshaft IIRC all the Camaros were the same with a small 4 bolt pattern. Then get a beautiful Pro 5.0 shifter to match! (comes in T5 Camaro, T5 Mustang, or T56 patterns and they are glorious!)

Would the speedway hydraulic TO bearing be what I should use anyway since my 740 is hydraulic clutch? As it stands, am reading conflicting things online about some using a regular TO bearing and some using an adjustable one.

Finding a full T5 Camaro transmissions is proving to be very difficult, albeit there is a bountiful amount of T5 tailshafts sold separate online.

It is what I am doing, but in a similar but different swap. LS w Gen4 T5 using the stock 940T Hydraulic clutch MC and the Speedway TO bearing. Set the play you want and easy done.

Again for the Mustang T5 you just need the GM Gen3 / S10 input shaft bearing retainer. The GM has a smaller OD and works with the Speedway TO kit.

It is what I am doing, but in a similar but different swap. LS w Gen4 T5 using the stock 940T Hydraulic clutch MC and the Speedway TO bearing. Set the play you want and easy done.

Again for the Mustang T5 you just need the GM Gen3 / S10 input shaft bearing retainer. The GM has a smaller OD and works with the Speedway TO kit.

Sorry if I am repeating myself :oops: Truth be told, this swap is fairly difficult for me being that I have never done anything like this before and no one I know has either so I am trying to source and ask as many questions as I can. I'm finding that people are completing this swap in various ways that its gets a little confusing

Would anyone please answer this for me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Since my 740 clutch is hydraulic but the T5 is cable, am I able to reuse the hydraulic setup from the m46 to convert the T5 to hydraulic? Thank you

Would anyone please answer this for me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Since my 740 clutch is hydraulic but the T5 is cable, am I able to reuse the hydraulic setup from the m46 to convert the T5 to hydraulic? Thank you

Yes, that will work. You will still need to get a TO bearing that works with the Volvo clutch fork and had a large enough ID for the T5 snout. I believe yoshifab still has the t5 conversion bearing. It works very nice, and has a lighter clutch pedal feel than the mustang bearing.

Yes, that will work. You will still need to get a TO bearing that works with the Volvo clutch fork and had a large enough ID for the T5 snout. I believe yoshifab still has the t5 conversion bearing. It works very nice, and has a lighter clutch pedal feel than the mustang bearing.

https://yoshifab.com/store/t5-conversion-t/o-bearing.html

This throwout bearing is a direct drop in using a b230 cable clutch fork and a t5 transmission

Looks like itll only work if I already had a cable clutch 740 :-(

Look up to swap on ozvolvo it has a detailed write up using the Ford au t5 box.

This.

For a 740 /940, the ideal extension housing is a BTR part, p/n 0557-866-906, originally made to fit an AU series Ford, with the shift fork bar that goes into the top cover, to suit.

This is an Aussie made part by BTR Engineering dba Tremec Australia, that bolts up to an ordinary WC Ford type main case, e.g. 13-52-065-908, or -921, or -922, or -919, or -932, or -953, which are plentiful in the US of A. You will however need to source the longest available T5 mainshaft. Or do something really kinky with the yoke and gearbox rear main oil seal, since the AU extension housing is a wee bit longer.

Easiest way for non-Bruces to get them is ordering them from Mal Wood Automotive in Warwick, Queensland, Australia.

https://malwoodauto.com.au/

Back