• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vancity Volvos

I was unsure of where you were getting them from. So far Windsor Meats had never poisoned me wrong...I mean thanks for picking up some quality products.

Anything else I can bring? If I make it due to timing issues...

Chips? I hope you can make it!

Thanks!

M.

Any guys with V70 experience know most likely reasons for 'Reduced engine performance' warning message and Check Engine light? I've booked a trip to the mechanic next week but am curious. GTJordan?

Could be anything. Typically reduced performance is throttle body related. Drive funny/idle funny at all?

Is it around 200k? If so the pcv is due for a clean/change. Could foul the throttle plate. Try cleaning it.

^ Fault ended up being a failed MAF. Timing belt and PCV are being replaced while it's in.

On another note, can anyone recommend a local shop that does early '80s diesels? My fuel pump is leaking, and there's no way I'd consider touching that thing. My usual mechanic isn't a diesel guy so he doesn't want to touch it either.

Make sure you cover the bases, a large leak post MAF (intercooler tubez) will throw a code that points to the MAF.

Someone save this?

https://whistler.craigslist.ca/cto/d/volvo-dl/6228379600.html

00404_bSZepzXUtF6_600x450.jpg

'89 240DL, auto, 300K? Needs water pump.

Does anyone know how common options such as power mirrors, A/C and cruise control are on a 1993 245? Just picked one up a week ago on Craigslist for 1,000 ( asking price ). I knew it would not last long the day it was posted and did not try negotiating as there was at least one other interested individual - it does need shocks, water pump shaft was very loose ( the reason it was parked almost 5 years ago ) and a lot of cleaning. Seems the '93 wagons are the most desirable and not overly common.

We put in some fresh fuel, added a battery and cranked the engine over a few times with the ignition coil disconnected and once reconnected it fired right up, ran quite nicely too. Mileage is approx. 300,000 km. or so as speedo gear is broken. Difficult to believe the car was bought from the Volvo Lady for just over 9,000.00 in 2006, had 260.000 odd km. at the time. Burgundy metallic with grey cloth interior, also has third seat and roof rack.

We plan on installing a set of Virgo wheels and most likely IPD sway bars and some braces at some point, as well as pulling the anemic NA engine and replace it with a B230FT from a 1992 7 series.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
93's, if I am correct in my recall all came with power (and one year only heated) mirrors, A/C and ABS. Don't know about the cruise control though, but I think that may have been a dealer installed option. Either way, don't see cruise very often on 240's. 93's also came with a few other features, such as R134 A/C instead of R12, a squirter block and I believe an improved design for the automatic transmission tailshaft (roller bearing vs a bushing).

I inquired about it when I saw it, and it looked fairly close to where I work, but she said that there was somebody already coming to look at it. For a 1000 bucks, you can't go wrong at that price as long as it isn't a totally roached rust bucket like the ones you usually see in that price range. Seeing how its likely been a lower mainland car since new, rust won't likely be an issue.

A good score.

1990-93 240's for the north american market are apparently pre-wired for cruise. I know our '92 was. Grabbed the parts off a '91 245 and plugged everything in. Should work once I get the vacuum switch for the brake pedal installed. 1993 cars also usually got the round tooth t-belt gears. But, unlike the 1992 cars, they went back to the stock DL size sways and chrome/black beltline mouldings. Late 1993 245's received all-black D-pillar weld seam covers, instead of the older black/stainless covers used since 1978.

So, to recap, the 1993 models received the power/heated mirrors from the 1992 244GL model (yes, those cars did have them), lost the turbo trim of the '92 base models, went back to the 19/17 (sedan) or 19/16 (wagon) sway bar setup, gained the L-block B230F with the squirters, R134a refrigerant in the AC system (standard after 1989, since factory installed on north american cars - updated to newer style in 1991), round tooth timing gears, possibly the roller-bearing tailshaft housing, although I think that was an Aw70L/Aw71L feature.

Some 1993 240's received Pulsair, as did a few 940 cars. Those vehicles can be identified by the "83" engine code. All of those cars had the valve introduced on the late B21A near the airbox. They also replaced the plastic Pulsair hose coupler with a metal one.

IIRC, Cdn spec 1990-93 240's were 49-state emissions, as they had been from about 1985-on. So, no EGR valve.

Back