home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #101
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Can't believe it's been about two months since my last update. Seems like just last week I was posting here.

Anywho, update time. Several weeks ago I noticed the existing leak at the distributor had gotten a bit worse, so I grabbed a spare from the junkyard and swapped it on, problem solved.

About a week after that, I noticed the small leak that my radiator had (yes, the third triple core radiator I've had in my car since I've owned it) had gotten a bit worse, and there was also a leak from the water pump to head o-ring and the thermostat housing. I wasn't sure how long ago the water pump and thermostat had been done, so I decided to replace both of those along with a brand new Nissens radiator.

Then a mere two days after replacing those parts, my AW71 tailshaft seal took a dump and started pissing ATF everywhere. Climbed underneath the car and gave the driveshaft a good shake and noticed it had a bit of play, so I assumed the bushing was bad as well. Ordered a new seal, bushing and housing gasket and replaced those in a day. Thankfully most of the old gasket just flaked or peeled off, I only spent maybe 10 minutes total scraping off the old gasket which I was happy about after reading that the old gasket removal was a nightmare.

Anyway, got it all back together and haven't leaked a drop of anything since. Other than that, the only other update I have is that I got an Ultra Racing upper strut brace to try out. Upon first receiving it it didn't fit right away, but I made it work. Here it is fitted (notice the shiny new Nissens ):

One of the four mounting points (drivers side) was too long and didn't fit over the top hat stud, so I cut about 1/4" out of the bracket and rewelded the piece back on and it fit like a glove.

Before:

After:

Just needs a quick respray of white in that area and it'll look good as new, although I may repaint it a different color altogether. First impressions are definitely a tighter front end, feels a little less sloppy in a tight corner. I've read that the real difference is noticed with the lower brace as well, just need to find or make one. I do have a set of the lower front subframe reinforcement brackets from a 960 that I haven't put on yet, but I need to get around to it.
1990 745ti - 295k - 16t @18psi, RSI stage II cam, IPD cam gear +6°, eBaycooler, Shane's fuel chip, Mike's spark chip, MSD coil, T5 blue injectors, accum modded AW71, G80 locker, squirter block, Ultra Racing strut brace, IPD sways, Billy HDs, a/c delete, cut springs.

Things to come: '95 squirter (rebuild in progress), Holset HY35, obx header, 4" dp..
kevbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #102
Sir Psycho
holstrich 2.0

A new distributor fixed the leak, or do you mean new seals did?

1995 940 Turbo:
531 head, Holset HE351 @ 20 psi, Emusa External Wastegate w/screamer, Mild Steel Header, 4" Downpipe, Ostrich Emulator, IPD Turbo Cam, TTR Cam Gear, Big Piping and Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, V8 T5 soon, Synapse Synchronic BOV, AEM Wideband, 18" Pegasus, B&G Springs, Billy HD's, Chassis Bracing, Sumimoto HTR ZIII 225/40/18
Sir Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #103
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho View Post
A new distributor fixed the leak, or do you mean new seals did?
I tried new seals on my old distributor but it didn't stop the leak. Found one at the yard in great condition, swapped my new seals over to it and it stopped the leak. Not sure what exactly the issue with mine was.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #104
Sir Psycho
holstrich 2.0

Axial shaft play likely
Sir Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:54 AM   #105
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Went to Orlando's Eurojam meet today. Great turnout and perfect weather for an event. Decided to go hoodless for it.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #106
Thefuzz
Board Member

I like it. I'm not much for chrome/silver-pipes+blue housing, but the color of the valvecover makes them blend in really good!

Thefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #107
shaved240
Board Member

just went through the entire thread. Really nice and clean build!

A few questions....

Did you ever figure out what the whining noise was all about on the 15g? and what did you use to paint your bumpers? Mine are really old and dated.
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #108
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefuzz View Post
I like it. I'm not much for chrome/silver-pipes+blue housing, but the color of the valvecover makes them blend in really good!
Thanks I appreciate it! After I stripped the paint off of the valve cover and the pipes, I just rubbed/scuffed it really good with a red scotch brite pad, to give it more of a brushed aluminum look. I'm not a big fan of chrome either, the pic above is about the shiniest it will get because I had just went over them all again for that car show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaved240 View Post
just went through the entire thread. Really nice and clean build!
Thanks! I really appreciate the compliments. I try to not show off my car or whore it out just for the sole purpose of getting compliments, but it's always humbling to hear them

Quote:
A few questions....

Did you ever figure out what the whining noise was all about on the 15g? and what did you use to paint your bumpers? Mine are really old and dated.
I never did figure out what exactly was causing the whining on the 15g. Maybe the shaft was one one-thousandth out of tolerance and it was vibrating enough to make it whine. That would explain why it did it with both sets of bearings. It never seemed to affect the performance though, it held 18psi no problems.

As for the bumpers, I believe I used some semi-gloss wheel paint from autozone. It's all I had laying around at the time and it came out great, even with just mildly scuffing up the bumpers first with some sandpaper.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #109
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

So I've had a pair of 25mm 5x108 - 5x120 adapters for a while now, and today for the hell of it I tossed on a couple of my buddy's BMW 16x8s to see how they looked, and I'm at a bit of a dilemma here. He has a spare set of them that he'd sell me, and I quite like how they look. It's sort of hard to tell from the picture, but they sit about perfectly flush with the edge of the fender. If I got them, I'd get some wider but shorter tires for them (they're mounted with drift tires for my buddy's e46, and they're 185/65/16).

And a same angle pic of the current Voxx 17x8 for comparisons sake.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #110
Roy 940
Board Member

Better with the BMW wheels!

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=247082
Roy 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #111
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Paint the Voxx wheels gold and drop it lower.

Or...

Paint the BMWs gold and drop it lower.

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #112
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

So after mulling the wheel decision over for a bit, I decided against the change for now. They're somewhat easy to come by (buddy has two full sets, I've seen sets on craigslist and I found a full set with gold centers in the junkyard once) so I might look into it later when I have some spare cash and am dying for a change. For now, I might try the centers of the Voxx wheels gold to see how I like it. I already have some gold paint so it would cost me nothing to try it, and if I don't it'll be easy enough to go back to silver.

Other than that, the wagon has been running phenomenally lately. No leaks, no major issues, no odd noises. The powerband is so much fun, merging onto a highway in 2nd gear is ridiculous, it just pulls and pulls. It's nice to actually enjoy the car, instead of taking it easy on it because of some leak or impending repair.

The only mechanical issue that I need to tend to is the master cylinder, which has been acting up more in the hot temperatures. However, I have the replacement unit sitting on the shelf, I just need to find a day where I can finally take care of it. Speaking of finding time, I should probably make a to-do list of sorts to keep myself organized.

- Master cylinder
- Buchka wasted spark board. Should arrive soon, then just need to solder it up and get a bosch 2x2 coil
- Paint wheel centers
- Locate water leak that drips into blower motor. Believe it's from somewhere under the cowl.
- Paint, possibly. If anything, just the roof. The faded paint is such an eyesore.

And now a few pictures. Wagons are quite versatile. Was the pit car for the last drift event a couple of my buddies participated in:

And the night before the event (Volvo coozie FTW):

And for anyone interested in an up and coming drifter, check out my best friend Teddy. Awesome dude with a lot of talent and a sweet e46.

www.teddysfriend.com
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #113
+Kardboard+

Seal up the area above the blower motor with 3M Windo-weld. Access from under the cowl; just did that with my old 740 in preparation for selling it.

Awesome wagon remains awesome, dude.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #114
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Got the master cylinder done a couple weeks ago with a friend's help bleeding the brakes. It all was really easy and the brakes feel MUCH better now. I don't have to dread the pedal sinking to the floor during stop and go traffic on a hot day anymore.

Took the wagon down to another FLVCOA meet in Safety Harbor on the 12th and had a great time. Beautiful weather and a shaded park and food catering from Bahama Breeze. Haven't seen many pics from the meet yet, but here's one from before when my lady friend helped me wash it:

Then just this morning I felt motivated enough to change up the wheels a bit. I've been toying with the idea of gold since I picked them up almost 2 years ago, and I finally said what the hell and gave it a shot today. I'm super happy with how it turned out:

That was done with about 3/4 of a can of Rustoleum gold metallic. One coat, didn't take the wheels off and just wiped them down with a rag before masking and painting.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #115
Sharingan 19
Board Member

Lookin good!

Sorry I couldn't make it to the meet, sounds like it was a great event. But I'll be racking up the miles very soon, first start up should actually be in a couple hours.
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #116
+Kardboard+

That paint looks fantastic. I think I may have to get a few cans myself.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #117
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

Swag wheels
1995 850 T5-R
1991 740 Turbo
1987 240

Leave Me Feedback
Simi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #118
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Just gonna leave this here:

Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #119
kendog11
Board Member

Ruined
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #120
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

I like it
Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #121
masswrecker
Board Member

I like it. I am gonna do mine a few shades darker my paint looks like crap.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #122
+Kardboard+

Inspires me to Plastidip it in a wine red...
Old 06-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #123
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Ruined

But I like it
Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #124
kevbot
illuminati confirmed

Thanks guys I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's not dip believe it or not, it's Behr premium outdoor paint from Home Depot. About $20 total and maybe 3-4 hours invested. It's got its minor imperfections here and there but from 5 feet away it looks fantastic. I toyed with the idea of dipping it for a while now but I didn't want to drop that kind of money on a 'removable' paint job, and I don't have the money for a professional paint job so this is what I went with. It may be 'ruined' to some of you, but the he stock paint was beyond ruined to me, especially on the roof, and it had scratches all down the sides so I just wanted something quick and easy to take care of it, and this is easily repairable if need be.

More pics to come later, and I plan on making another stripe kit for it but this time with matte black vinyl, and I'll stick the badges and everything else back on for the final product.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #125
miguel.760ti
Board Member

Olive drab works pretty well with the gold wheels actually.

1988 760 Turbo
also
2016 Ford Fiesta ST
1995 Ford F150
miguel.760ti is offline   Reply With Quote