• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

82 244 Turbo - PCV Questions

Murploid1

Hello,

I have been tinkering with my PCV system over the last two days.

Couple of points:
1. There is no flametrap filter screen. It has been completely removed. Should I purchase and install one or is this not an issue?
2. The large hose that routes from the trap to the intake is not secured properly. By that I mean it is simply pushed through a hole in the metal pipe (inlet). Shouldn't there be a nipple there for the pipe to connect? If so, where can i get one? Seems the previous owner tried to remedy the issue with some kind of sealant - it doesn't work. There is oil and filth everywhere.
3. I assume the vacuum pipe UNDER the manifold should connect to the flametrap? I took the inlet manifold off, found this vacuum pipe hanging there.

Thanks!

240 turbos don't use a flame trap.

The breather hose is just jammed into a hole in the cast inlet tube as you described. If the hose is old it won't fit tight enough for it to seal.

The vacuum hose nipple for the breather is on the top of the manifold. It's calibrated so make sure you connect it to the correct one.

TurboPCV.jpg

Can you post a pic of the hose under the manifold?

So I went and looked under the hood of my '82 turbo and the small hose barb on the PCV elbow is capped. I then looked at the emissions greenbook and it seems as though there is no other connection to the intake contrary to the first pic I posted.

TurboPCV.1.jpg

Thanks for looking at your car. What is it capped with? So, it does not require any additional vacuum. Cool.

Wondering if I should install a generic catch can in between the PCV hose and the intake. A fair amount of oil seems to pass through.

OK next question...

Does anyone have a recommendation on what catch can to purchase?

I don't have an issue with venting to the atmosphere (if that's the best option), otherwise it can be routed back into the intake.

Get a Mann+Hummel Pro-vent 200 and appropriately sized check valves. One to the intake manifold, the other to the pre-turbo intake pipe. You can either return oil to the sump or a containment tank. Sump is usually better. Oil gets hot enough to evaporate combustion by-products that the separator will return to the intake tract to burn or contain in the filter.

Get a Mann+Hummel Pro-vent 200 and appropriately sized check valves. One to the intake manifold, the other to the pre-turbo intake pipe. You can either return oil to the sump or a containment tank. Sump is usually better. Oil gets hot enough to evaporate combustion by-products that the separator will return to the intake tract to burn or contain in the filter.

Their website in under construction.

Can it be simple enough as running the pipe from the oil separator box to a vented catch can like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/joe-12310

Instead of routing that pipe back into the intake? Or will there be issues under boost etc?

It will smell and you will have oily residue all over your engine bay. Plus, it's more polluting. Just not a great way to deal with blowby.

It will smell and you will have oily residue all over your engine bay. Plus, it's more polluting. Just not a great way to deal with blowby.

OK. How about a can like this from Yoshifab inline between the oil separator box and the intake?

https://yoshifab.com/store/2-5-10-catch-can.html

would this clean up this considerable amount of oil currently being sucked into my intake? Can I plumb it inline without check valves?

Back