• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

93 A/C into a 91 245

The compressor, condenser, and most of the hard lines are different on the 93. Definitely flush out the evaporator - it's easy from the engine bay once you have everything else removed. The two 90-degree bent aluminum tubes coming through the firewall are directly attached to the evaporator. You can use an aerosol bottle of flush or get a kit with a bottle that you charge with an air compressor. Either way, blow through the outlet (bigger port) and catch all the discharge with a jar over the other one. Flush until it runs clear.

I would also flush any used lines that you buy, and flush the condenser, but absolutely don't flush the compressor.

You can re-use the old 91 compressor if it's in good shape - it's a different style than the 93 but either will work with R134a. You can drain the old oil out of the 91 compressor and refill with Ester oil which is compatible with R134a and any remaining mineral oil that might be left.

Here's an R134a conversion I did on a 92 wagon using a 93 style condenser and hard lines, but keeping the earlier compressor:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=6081738&postcount=5

The firewall plate may be slightly different on the R134 models which may be an issue if you are converting the evaporator. Not sure what years they did the change though.

The firewall plate may be slightly different on the R134 models which may be an issue if you are converting the evaporator. Not sure what years they did the change though.

91-93 are all the same firewall back.

91-92 parts are easy to get, both new and used. Parts for the 93 system are almost all NLA. You are better off getting your 91 system up to par and putting ES-12 in it. The only reason to have a 93 system is it will cool enough using R-134.

91-92 parts are easy to get, both new and used. Parts for the 93 system are almost all NLA. You are better off getting your 91 system up to par and putting ES-12 in it. The only reason to have a 93 system is it will cool enough using R-134.

And by enough that means barely enough. Wish it had a high side port to actually optimize the charge without a machine.

The parallel flow condenser is nice to have at least.

And by enough that means barely enough. Wish it had a high side port to actually optimize the charge without a machine.

The parallel flow condenser is nice to have at least.

That is the only part that really sets the 93 system apart from the 91-92 systems. If the OP can find one that is in good condition, it would be a nice addition. The thread on the fittings even match the earlier system.

One of the ports on the condenser is in a different spot on the parallel flow 93 part, so you'd need the matching hard line as well.

If I'm not mistaken the compressor changed in 1993 too. It was a sliding vane type for 93, then the earlier type was swash plate / rotary piston, and even earlier was reciprocating piston (York).

Which of the compressors is more efficient?

Incidentally I have been eyeing the condenser off a late 960/S90 for the same reason (I have a 740)

Back