• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'96 960 Wagon w/o Nivomat - Sagging Rear End

MisterBLC

Everyone,

Working on a '96 960 with over 200k miles on it. The car has a definite sag in the rear end, especially if the car is loaded down. My research indicates this is a Mk2 IRS car that did NOT come with Nivomats. On the chassis identification plate, the suspension is marked with an "H" and there are standard shocks on the car. The part number on the shocks don't match any volvo part number I can find so I am thinking they may be an aftermarket replacement. So questions:

1.) Is it worth trying to replace the shocks to help the rear end sag? Perhaps with "OEM" shocks, which are surprisingly reasonably priced?

2.) Is there anything that can be done if the fiberglass leaf spring is sagging? Anyone tried "shimming the mounts in some way to lift the rearend up?

Any other info and experiences from other folks would very helpful!

Thanks,
Brian

I?ve seen it mentioned a couple times in some older threads that if the front gets worn out it?ll actually raise up some, making it appear that the rear end in sagging. Could?ve been wrong, so take it with a grain of salt

Hi Brian
HD Rear spring was NLA, when I went looking for one about six years ago. Volvo was re-boxing Monroe/Tenneco shocks for these cars, FYI. I found out when I did all four corners on a sedan. I believe Sachs makes a gas shock for the rear, might be worth a try.

Back