• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

If you have a radiator with the thread-in sensor, you could use one of these:

10283131_wel_sw650_pri_larg.jpg

Since it's two-post, you could use it with the factory 850 fan and dual speed relay...low speed comes on at 189*F, high speed comes on at 198*F.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wells-vehicle-electronics-cooling-fan-switch-sw650/10283131-P#

this is nice.
what male connector fits?

If you have a radiator with the thread-in sensor, you could use one of these:

10283131_wel_sw650_pri_larg.jpg

Since it's two-post, you could use it with the factory 850 fan and dual speed relay...low speed comes on at 189*F, high speed comes on at 198*F.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wells-vehicle-electronics-cooling-fan-switch-sw650/10283131-P#

I did cut a old top hose and put the switch in there. Works okay but the way I have it wire fan sometimes comes on a second time after the car is off. Have not had time to tinker with it but not cooling issues at all. Do plan to order that switch in the next week or so and test it out for my self. It makes for a clean install. My cars are all still NA. Just can't get started and Now my 242 has a blown Head gasket. Duck me running. Made the deal for a big Valve Unitek 530 so I may finally get something boosted going.

the way I have it wire fan sometimes comes on a second time after the car is off.
Same here, and I'm perfectly ok with it. It's been like that for years and I appreciate that it is keeping underhood temperatures in check at all times. A decent battery will have no problem with it. My fan actually turned on 3 or 4 times a couple of days ago while it was sitting in a hot garage after I drove it home from work(nothing special). Still fired up plenty fine in the morning and I've had the battery installed for more than 3 years. The fan's been installed exactly as it is for probably closer to 4 or 5 years.

Same here, and I'm perfectly ok with it. It's been like that for years and I appreciate that it is keeping underhood temperatures in check at all times. A decent battery will have no problem with it. My fan actually turned on 3 or 4 times a couple of days ago while it was sitting in a hot garage after I drove it home from work(nothing special). Still fired up plenty fine in the morning and I've had the battery installed for more than 3 years. The fan's been installed exactly as it is for probably closer to 4 or 5 years.

Only time that you would run the battery down is when it going bad anyway. You right about the under temp with it coming on like that. Did not think of that but I have garage space for my 240's or I mine would do the same thing. Still going to try that two speed switch the I will know first hand and it's a cleaner install. Need to tidy the engine bay anyway.

Found a cheaper dual switch with m22 threads:

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-201-1612-Thermo-Switch/dp/B000CB3EEQ

From the supplier:

The correct temperatures are 87-76C - 93-82C. You are correct in that this is a dual switch. Our stock has been checked and everything is fine.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Again, thank you for looking to Beck Arnley for your needs.

Best regards,

Jan Crowley
Product Manager

It's cheaper than that other one from Wells.

I don't know if I posted this in here, but this is what I found a long time ago:

Took me forever to find, but for all you e-fan people, this fits in the rad and controls high and low speeds if you use it with the Volvo relay (don't know if it's rated for the current of the fan itself):
Low / High
on-off/ on-off part number
75-70/82-77c (25195948175)
85-74/93-82c (251959481K)
95-81/102-91c (191959481C)
You can get the plug from any VW or Audi with A/C, or be cheap and use spades.
Hopefully this cures my detonation from heat soak (it's not really even summer yet).

It threads into the threaded rads and the SAAB coolant T.

I use the 85-74/93-82 switch on my car with an 82 t-stat. Car stays as cool as it did with just low speed as it used to be when I had high speed going on the old rad switch. The fan only runs once, on low after I shut the car off. Haven't gotten it hot enough for high speed switch to kick in yet

I was doing some work today and learned something very important I want to pass on.

If you have a 940/850 e fan on either your 240 or 740 and never had a pusher e fan to begin with, then here is the way to wire it up so it works when the compressor turns on.

pos2neg.gif

This is how you do it, high speed either is spliced or goes to 87, splice a wire from the compressor and put it on terminal 86. Then from there put 85 and 30 to ground.

The only issue I have found so far is that when the car is in the on but not running and the compressor engages, the fan will turn on when the car is off, but that can be solved by a second relay.

Worked perfectly.
Until after I got home last night, low speed kicked on unexpectedly after the car had been turned off for a few minutes... gotta figure that one out.

Last edited:
That's what happens after water movement stops and the radiator begins to heat soak.
You can prevent this by interrupting the control wires of the fan relay with another relay triggered by switched +12v

Or you can leave it be, and it can help maintain lower temperatures underhood... It's not going to kill your battery unless you have a crappy battery. I've had mine set up with low speed to come on automatically for the past 6 years or so, and never needed to ever even hook up the high speed or ever had the battery die on me.

My fan cycles once, maybe twice at the most on low speed for about a minute or so, it's not gonna kill your battery unless if your batt is already taking a ****.

Yeh I'm gonna leave it alone. The battery's got a 5 year warranty anyways, so if I can kill it before then, I get a nice new one anyways.

Does anyone run an e-fan in their 240 with the 80A alternator? I searched through the whole thread and couldn't determine what you guys are running.

Also, does anyone use this sensor? My radiator has a port for this that's just got a plug in it:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7380/113102-thermostatic-radiator-switch-for-auxiliary-a-c-fan

I'm thinking I could just get a relay, a temp sensor for that port and a decent fan and ditch my propeller.

There's a few fans with factory 2 speed relays in the for sale section right now, one I saw that was already modified to fit a 240 radiator.
Yes, that sensor will work well, I have my low speed control circuit ground for the factory relay run through it and it functions properly.

However if you put a 9xx ecu in with fan control capability you can just run the control circuits for the relay to it and be done.

Back