• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 Weight

Ride height of the front and the rear makes a difference, too.

That's what I was thinking!

Mopar, did you set it up to have even weights somehow or did you just luck out? Is the ride height the same on each side of the car? Also, does the car have much rake?

I just adjusted the ride height to be even side to side, and I lucked out. The purpose is to adjust on the scales, but that was not needed.

I would not say I have much rake. Ride hieght is pretty level front to back.

This^ on my S13 we gave it a reverse rake to promote traction mid slide, it around 51/49 now and it was 52-48 before. it's scary how much difference one percent can make either way! never got to do a full corner balance due to time,

I just adjusted the ride height to be even side to side, and I lucked out. The purpose is to adjust on the scales, but that was not needed.
Yeah, you did well, indeed! But, like mentioned above and I didn't think of it before, it's best to set it up when you're in the car as that's how it'll actually be driven.

Regardless, measure the height from the ground to the pinch weld just behind the front wheel well and just in front of the rear wheel well to measure rake difference. From that picture it's somewhat hard to tell, but I suspect there's more than half an inch of rake still.

Yeah, you did well, indeed! But, like mentioned above and I didn't think of it before, it's best to set it up when you're in the car as that's how it'll actually be driven.

Regardless, measure the height from the ground to the pinch weld just behind the front wheel well and just in front of the rear wheel well to measure rake difference. From that picture it's somewhat hard to tell, but I suspect there's more than half an inch of rake still.

I mostly weighed it just to see what it weighed.

I only autocross it and drive on the street, so more than often there is a passenger with me.

I did weights with me in it too. Its at the bottom of the sheet but I did not post that.

composite hoods work wonders for fixing weight balance. that and smaller batteries or relocated batteries.

I could feel the difference when I went from the 48lb Optima to the 13lb XS Power. Left it in the stock location for ease of install, but still made a noticeable difference.

I am still looking for a CF hood, the weight biased moved forward again when I removed all the extra weight from the car (interior, sound deadener, etc.).

I mostly weighed it just to see what it weighed.

I only autocross it and drive on the street, so more than often there is a passenger with me.

I did weights with me in it too. Its at the bottom of the sheet but I did not post that.
Yeah, no worries, was just saying it's surprising how good it was and if you were wanting to make it even more optimized(because I know you autox it), it's what I would do. If you make the rear end sit lower and get more weight back there, it'll be better balanced and will drive out of corners better because it'll be less likely to lift the inside rear wheel. If you normally autox with a passenger as well, then you're golden on crossweight.

composite hoods work wonders for fixing weight balance. that and smaller batteries or relocated batteries.

Many years ago, my DD was a 1976 Jeep CJ-5. I rolled it and mangled the entire front clip. In the rebuild, we found a one-piece fiberglass hood (with homemade tilt-forward hinges) to be vastly cheaper than steel, so went with it. Holy cow did that make a terrifying difference in acceleration and felt performance, but it went too far, and threw what little handling I had out of whack. Braking got even squirrelier.

Honestly though, the difference in go was worth it. I'd do it on my 240 :D

Last time I had my 245 on a scale it was at about 2800lbs as well. I love when people say, "that thing must be super heavy!", then I tell them it ways about as much as a new BRZ. These cars arent heavy. New cars are heavy!! With all the crap they have in em now adays

I'm glad I read through all the posts, because this is the exact example I was going to give. The BRZ/FRS is touted as a very lightweight car now. I had a coworker who guessed my 745 weighed 4000 lbs! I also watched a tuner show years ago where someone actually had a Volvo 122 there, and the host of the show said into the camera "believe it not not, this car weighs 3500 lbs. I was too lazy to write to the show to correct him.

Last edited:
A power-nothing, B200, M45 equipped 1988 245 with 10 liters (about 3 gallons) of fuel and noone inside it weighed 1290kg (2840lbs) IIRC.

Back