• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3 sets of fuel pumps failed

If the in tank isn't being killed it is prob not rust in the tank... What this is sounding like to me is a fuel pump relay issue... possibly it isn't giving good voltage to the pump? What about wiring? You need to pop the cover of the fuel pump relay and re-flow solder to all the connections. Then I would make a good test light with a incandescent brake light or similar that would pull pretty good amps, and hook it up to the power wire at the pump. See if it lights it up nice and bright... Check the wiring as much as you can for any shorting...

Pump relay issues such as poor ground connection can cause the relay to rattle like a rattlesnake.

Just the name of the place you bought them doesn't say much. Both of those places sell Delphi stuff. Could be junk pumps, could be the relay or wiring to it. There's no specific 'control circuit' component.

Airtex E8778 intank and be done. Approved and a proven good pump by cleanflametrap. Now I do have a Delphi inline purchased from RockAuto. While louder than stock, it has worked fine.

Thanks lummert. The ground for the relay is under the carpet by the driveshaft tunnel? Centason, good advice for the in tank but hopefully I'll find something wrong before putting any more new components in... Ralph

I'm also wondering about my sending unit. Purchased and installed back in 2010 during the original resto we never heard of reversed wiring from the vendor. Would the fuel system have worked so long before starting to fail if the wiring was reversed? R.

I'm also wondering about my sending unit. Purchased and installed back in 2010 during the original resto we never heard of reversed wiring from the vendor. Would the fuel system have worked so long before starting to fail if the wiring was reversed? R.

Going by the price you paid for the replacement sending unit, you probably got a VDO which were wired correctly. The aftermarket senders were usually under $100.

image015.jpg

image courtesy of cleanflametrap.com

thanks hiper, I did see that pic. Just went out and started the car with the wires to the in tank pump reversed with clips but it didn't make any difference. Tomorrow I'll start looking at the grounds in different locations. R.

<del>I’d pull the hose off of the input to the main pump, jumper the fuses to turn on the tank pump and see if the tank pump moves any fuel. If you hear it running but no fuel is coming out of the hose, then try switching the + and - wires to the pump and redo the test.</del>

Edit: never mind, I see you’ve already tested for actual fuel flow

Clean the ground and make sure all connections are good. Poor connections could burn stuff out. At the fuel pump relay and power wiring too.

Thanks Zvolv, do you know off hand exactly where the ground for the fuel pump relay is and what terminal it connects to? Left of the shifter on the driveshaft tunnel? Ralph

It's under the back seat. You can do a voltage drop test on it to test it.

I thought it was in this pic, but nope. Here is one way to check current draw of the pump with a scope and amp clamp. Without one, you could just put a meter in line with the circuit and see whatcha get.

picture.php

Wow, way back there? I figured it would be up front under the dash somewhere near to the relay itself. Tomorrow, I'll start looking at these connections. I really appreciate your help! R.

Resistance test the ground wire is a good idea too. Inspect for chafing or bad wiring under the car too.

before I dig in and start my troubleshooting I want to let everyone know that every time we change out the pumps the car runs fine for a few days before the external pump starts making noise and eventually the car fails. Right now the car is running and driving fine except for the main pump whining and the relay slightly vibrating so wouldn't that lead us to believe that it would be something wrong inside the tank like the rust mentioned before or the sending unit power reversal issue? Why run fine for awhile and then die consistently and after changing out the pumps the cycle repeats? Things that make you pause and say hmmmm... Ralph

Did you replace any hoses during the process? A kinked hose will starve, then kill the Main Fuel Pump.

A replacement fuel sender had a different angle and eventually kinked on me.

thanks racer, yes at one point we did have a problem with the hose on the in tank pump. I just jumper tested both pumps and heard them both start so next I tink id like to try and find the ground to the pump relay and after that try to take the sender unit out myself to see what I can see, especially since you mentioned a hose issue... Ralph

Back