• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M41 - convert from late to early shifter?

fatcatbestcat

Professional Hack
Hello again,

Still waiting on Purolator to deliver my engine hoist and that leveler. Until then, I'm looking at all manner of things that don't help my 144 run.

The car's a '67, but has previously had a B20F and a later M41 swapped in.
I bought a center console for the car (it looks cool, don't judge), and it was evidently meant for the early tractor-looking shift implement.

DSC01147.JPG

I just wanted to know if it's possible to switch an M41 back over to the ye olde tractor shifter, so I can fit the console. I know it's not pertinent to the car running, but I might want to do it in the future, when I fit my new carpet.

They are different. Do you still have a hole where the long shifter would go? If not, I wouldn't bother. Also, it might hit that center dash piece.

That center console is not for the 1972 and earlier cars with the truck shifter. The back part of the console appears to be raised like it was meant for an armrest which was never on the 1972 and earlier cars and I don't think it was on the '73- 74 cars either.

That center console is not for the 1972 and earlier cars with the truck shifter. The back part of the console appears to be raised like it was meant for an armrest which was never on the 1972 and earlier cars and I don't think it was on the '73- 74 cars either.

I had a 68 144 way back in my college days, and it had a console identical to the one in the OP's photo, so I can tell you it will work for early 140's with the long shifter. And it did have an armrest.
The OP's photo looks like a 72 with the short shifter, similar to 73-74 & early 240's.
Wish I could find a similar console for my 73, but they are rare.
Edit - OP's is a 67 with a later tunnel , I didn't catch that.

Back