• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

Well... I was thinking there was a high tech gadget. Maybe it draws the fluid down to the caliper.

Yeah it uses a vacuum to suck fluid through. From what I've seen you can also use one of these cleaning things:

Pneumatic-engine-car-engine-cleaning-gun-cleaning-gun-cleaning-gun-the-engine-clean-the-oil-gun.jpg

Did you follow the correct sequence when you were bleeding them?
Next time you need a hand call me and I'll swing through.

That would be great. Yeah, tried to follow the sequence. Got confused when I had to take my shoes off to keep count.

Do people convert the unusual redundant Volvo hydraulics to more conventional circuits?

That would be great. Yeah, tried to follow the sequence. Got confused when I had to take my shoes off to keep count.

The sequence is only good for a system that hasn't been opened, you'll send air out back to be trapped in the proportioning valves unless you're smart about it.

Do people convert the unusual redundant Volvo hydraulics to more conventional circuits?

Sure all the time just buy an ABS car.

I just got done doing that on my orange car. ABS single-line front calipers, and I ditched the brake distribution block. Check the latest update on my build thread, link in my sig. There's also some great information about various options of how to do that on Dave Barton's website. Be sure and read this, scroll down to "brake line routing":
http://www.davebarton.com/volvo240bigbrakes.html

I have to say, it was a super easy bleed with the distribution block gone! Easiest I've ever had on a 240.

Last edited:
I had a completely opened system and followed the bleeding instructions and had no issues and I'm not smart. :)

I like my old '65 Galaxy: one line from the master.

Well, I did like it until that wheel cylinder failed...

:omg:

So, now that I'm thinking about it, why the two lines to each wheel? If one line fails, the other one is the safety net and that brakes operates (more or less) normally? Sounds complicated.

That's exactly how it was designed...these cars were, really, ahead of their time. Think of what cars came with four wheel disc brakes standard then?

I like my old '65 Galaxy: one line from the master.

Well, I did like it until that wheel cylinder failed...

:omg:

So, now that I'm thinking about it, why the two lines to each wheel? If one line fails, the other one is the safety net and that brakes operates (more or less) normally? Sounds complicated.

:nod:

It's called a dual diagonal system in case of a compromised circuit there will still be 3 braked wheels, two fronts and a rear.

Edit,

All in all a simple exercise in plumbing, but you don't want to send air out back to be trapped in the proportioning valves.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. It looks simpler with the color schematic.

Not to go down a rabbit hole, but are there any benefits for the DD in swapping to fancy rotors and pads? (Other than chicks digging them...) I'm really loving the dustless NAPA ceramic pads on the wife's MINI.

Ya I ripped a rear flex line open on a steel lumber band at the lumberyard once, the warning light came on but I ignored it because they're always on on a 140 because of the funky bracket for the warning switch on the E brake always bends and lights it up.

Got home didn't notice anything with the braking, checked the switch which seemed like was OK so I looked at the the MC reservoir, and one half was dry, so I looked out back and found the slice in the hose.

But yea it's a terrible system if you're too stupid to figure out how to bleed the brakes.

:e-shrug:

Probably best to work one corner at a time when swapping hoses or calipers.

Swap / crack lower fitting or bleeder / gravity bleed / power bleed front upper then lowers then check the top again before moving to the other side or out back.

Then finish it out using the factory order when it's all swapped in and 'done'.

Back