• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Street Car

Put in a push to get the fuel system finished today. Built up a new tank sending unit for the Walbro 255 with a replacement cable passthrough that doesn't suck, installed a new fuel filter under the car, wired up a new pump power feed, drained the old gas out of the tank, and ran new hose from the sender to the filter/hard line. The only remaining tasks before we can pressure test is to drop the sender in the tank, slip on the hoses, and fill the tank with fresh gas.

photo%25201.JPG

Shelf thing with the main pump deleted.

photo%25202.JPG

Been having some odd issues with the gauge calibrations in VEMS. Turns out that the 5V sensor rail starts browning out as soon as you put even the slightest load on it. Plugging in the oil pressure, fuel pressure, and TPS pulls the rail down to almost 3V. The processor in the VEMS runs off a different rail, so it still works fine, but since the sensors are all ratiometric, the readouts are all wonky. I'm going to swap out the linear regulator that powers the sensor rail and see if that helps.

Another productive session with the car. Fuel system buttoned up and successfully leak tested, VEMS sensor crap is fixed, sealed the compressor housing, plumbed the back pressure gauge, fixed the dash cluster, installed the headlight adjusters, hooked up the tach, re-wired the washer pump, fixed the oil pressure sensor mount, fixed a small steering rack clearance issue, made a TDC indicator needle, and pulled the radiator and IC in preparation for pre-oiling the engine.

Couldn't find the cover for the fuel tank access port, so Alex made a new one.

photo%25201.JPG

Headlight adjusters are in and working perfectly.

photo%25202.JPG

We needed an accurate way to find TDC for marking the crank pulley, so we made a cylinder stop out of a bolt and a gutted spark plug. You just rotate the crank until it bottoms out against the stop, mark the pulley, then rotate it in the opposite direction until it bottoms out. The center of your two marks is TDC.

photo%25203.JPG

Here's the TDC mark and the pointer needle Alex made. Should do the job.

photo%25204.JPG

The list of stuff-that-needs-to-get-done-before-startup is getting dangerously short: pre-oil the engine, fill the transmission, terminate the e-fan power wire, engine electrical checkout, and hook up the headlights.

Hmmm if your doing just a single Walbro you would probably benefit from a bigger gauge wire, I know on my car it would loose fuel pressure and run lean after 13-14psi on my 8v motor, then when I upgraded the wiring to 10gauge it would never run lean. Just a thought! :) Merry Christmas!!!

I'm not too worried about it right now, but if the drop gets significant at higher pressures then I can always double up with the spare wire.

I bet that wasn't the first start, but anyway... Congrats :)

It's map-based VEMS. It will start on the first crank if everything's wired/plumbed correctly. My POS started on the first crank with an open brake booster nipple. Idled at 2 grand, but what the hell, it started.

Back