• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Help me decide between two cars?

Johnnya101

Hi folks,

Sold my 88 sedan a few months back due to some windshield gasket rust and I kind of wanted a wagon.

I have been looking since I have sold it for a replacement and have not found any nice cars locally.

Two have popped up recently that have caught my attention:

-1992 245, red

-1992 240, silver

The 245 has around 280k, lots of recent work done. Very worn beige vinyl interior, needs new fuel sender, radio, seat covers, etc. But runs great. Guy wants $1300. Has some rocker rust, and rust holes that were plugged in the upper rocker area? Not welded, just a plastic plug or something stuffed in the rust holes. The area below the doors. I thought that was kind of unusual. Can they rot from the inside out in that area?

The 240 is from down south. Always garaged. Paint is faded from southern sun. Virtually no rust. 280k. Book of receipts and maintenance logs and such. Just needs some new headlight covers. Hasnt been driven a whole lot for the past few years. Mint black cloth interior. $1100. Small bubble of rust by hood, rear bumper trim missing and bumper looks warped or dented.

I really was thinking about a wagon but every one I have seen so far in NH has looked like it has sat at the bottom of the ocean for a few months then driven on salt roads for a decade without being washed. Wouldnt mind getting another sedan if it had no rust and oil coat the h*** out of it so it wont. Also like the earlier 87s-89s but I think they rust more and wouldnt be the best choice for occasional winter driving?

Are wagons any more "worth it" than a sedan? Ive only ever had a sedan 240 and the wagons look fun but man, they are hard to find in decent enough shape without needing new rockers and floor pans and patches everywhere for under $3k. Thoughts and/or advice? I know its kind of a my decision question, but wondering if wagons are more worth it value wise and usability wise? Only main reason for a wagon is for the dog :)

Last edited:
Of the two I'd focus on the sedan: seems to be fairly solid.

As far as finding a rust free 245 or sedan, there are still some nice, rust free old turbobricks to be had here out west.

Not as many as there once were, of course, but it would probably seem like nirvana to you.

Of course our hoard of old Volvos doesn't do a guy in NH much good unless he's willing to come out here to see for himself.

The thing about the wagon is that you have instant utility with a larger area for stuff to go back there. If you truly don't have the need for a wagon it's better to chose the more rust free car. Wagons have such great utility they are daily driven to death. You could say wagons are a bit safer since you have more metal behind you.

I paid too much for my wagon. It had a few more issues than I'd like including rust. But it was what I was looking for. No roof rack, 5spd, cloth interior. So I paid the entry fee and it's been a great daily for many years once I sorted it out.

Wagons are also noisier, as they are a big metal box. That said, I love my 245 to death. M47, 320k, driven daily. Like dl242gt said, instant utility. I transported a 7 piece Shaker-style dining room set in it.

If you don't have to have a 200 series, there's a 945T down by me on Bridge St in Salem MA that was pretty clean (not mint but pretty good) for $1500...

So pretty much what I was thinking. I would like the mint interior of the sedan over the ripped up ugly tan vinyl wagon interior. Only spot of rust (so far from photos) on the sedan is a little teeny bubble from the windshield gasket. Which is farily normal.

As suggested above the 900 series wagons especially turbo make great daily utility wagons as well. They are bigger and heavier but are less rust prone and another level of volvo safety. Good sacrificial cars for the winter.

So get the sedan. Then when you need a wagon fix get a 900 series. The earlier 740 turbo wagons are cool as well. They usually have manual seats and were available with a manual trans. I have a strong dislike for power seats.

Thanks DL, that's a great idea! They are cheap enough to get a couple at some point. Think I can look at the sedan next Monday. I will try and remember to update. Supposedly no rust besides the spot by the windshield (which almost all 240s get).

I love my garage-kept rust-free '89 760 turbo wagon. It is amazing how much cargo a wagon can accommodate.
The power seats are a minor nuisance. I have them set to where I want them and do not touch the controls as the motors are ready to die.

240 sedan with cloth seats recommended

"Ferrari" red 240's are head turners. I'm complimented regularly on mine. I recommend the sedan and definitely +1 with a 700/900 turbo wagon for utility. I also recommend cloth seats over the wagon's vinyl ones. They all dry up and shred. Avoiding power seats is also good advice. My 1990 760 wagon's power seat had an "emergency stop" button which was stuck in the disable position and the seat wouldn't work. I never seen anything like that and still don't know why it was included. A squirt of WD-40 finally fixed it, but I'm nervous about using the power adjustments and leave them alone. My red 740 turbo is much less finicky than the 760 with manual adjust black leather seats that are great.
profile.jpg

Back