• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

Ran the race-wagon up to Tacoma for VW car show. Kind of lame as there was only one Volvo, but, whatever. Six hours there and back. The DL did great. So, the car is quieter. More quiet than it was. A reduction was achieved. However... it is NOT a "quiet car." On the plus side, the exhaust is great. Descending into Gig Harbor on a slow down hill in second gear with no brakes applied and the windows down was about as close to audio heaven as I will ever get. Just awesome. Steering still wanders. GOT to fix the driver's seat lumbar adjustment. The wife approves of having heat and defrost on cold / foggy mornings. This is a great highway car. The OD / 3.31 combo makes her very comfortable between 70-80 mph. Except for the noise and the seat...

150-M.jpg

154-M.jpg

156-M.jpg

158-M.jpg

159-M.jpg

174-M.jpg

179-M.jpg

250-M.jpg

Trying to knock out a few items before the big Plus-T effort starting in January.

84FD7BA8-00D3-4779-B75B-AB8F089AC1E2-M.jpg

Got the E-fan set up again. Using a different "Saab T" I got a while back from Revotec. Thought I'd give it a try. It's adjustable. I wanted to run it in the lower hose like I did before, but it ran warmer than I thought it should, so it's in the upper hose now. Whatever. This will give me two months to test it out.

Ordered a Forge blow off valve. Pretty excited. Going to make some turbo noises!

Nice work. Try not to break it.

I never tried the lower hose, but standard Saab T in the upper works perfectly fine for me.

Sooo. Let's see...

Ordered a BOV so my upcoming Plus-T swap will sound cool. :cool:

Swapped the front tires from side to side (directional) so see if it helps with the tramlining. Probably not.

Had fun at the local PnP the other day. Found a nicer passenger side cargo area trim panel (none of the card board slots were pulled out!), grabbed a few inside door release bezels (getting better at popping them off, without cracking them).

Went through my inventory of relays. Did the best I could surfing the internet to decode the numbers: 1-898158 (front wiper), 3-896459 (front wiper), 1-896327 (wiper? / dunno), 1-6849781 (rear wiper), 3-898151 (fuel pump).

Going to wrap up "Operation quiet DL" when I pull the motor (install the shifter foam thing).

Looked at new style power steering pump with the shepherds hook plumbing. I picked up a non-AC bracket a while back. If I thought power steering would reduce the cars tramlining, I would jump. But the effort on the looped ZF if fine 99% of the time. Only in slow / tight parking situations does the lack of assist become apparent.

Up next: Have baffle in Plus-T oil pan (drain) welded back in place. Have bung for wide-band installed after the cat. Order a few more bits in December.

Going to get crazy during the holidays. Glad the car is running well. Get to use it to haul the visiting family around town next week. Won't they be impressed...

Got some little plastic plugs to fill the holes in the rockers. Taking it to the nines...

01D19BE6-C68F-4665-99B8-91D8B49BBA32-M.jpg

Warmed up the trans and dumped the GL4 (Redline) from the M47 and refilled with GL5 (Lucas). Initial impression is good, for an old trans with a drain plug that looks like this after 18 months...

10AE048B-1228-49B7-A591-6123DE018BC7-M.jpg

Nice! :nod:

We'll know if the GL5 is any better the next time I shift it cold.

I'm going to say that the left to right tire front swap thing is an improvement. Drove it down the 205 one-handed today. Very brave of me I thought.

So far so good on the e-fan.

Bling - bling!

28060B8E-F4F6-4A5D-AD8A-3060363FDD8F-M.jpg

Pleased with the GL5: No more grinding into reverse on cold start-up, no more working down from third, to second, to first, when cold. And the fifth gear "roar" is reduced. A little.

Operation "Quiet DL" continues...

:nod:

Pleased with the GL5: No more grinding into reverse on cold start-up, no more working down from third, to second, to first, when cold. And the fifth gear "roar" is reduced. A little.

Operation "Quiet DL" continues...

:nod:

I was sure it wont quiet down worn tapered roller bearings... Fortunately they are available new.
I'm really curious about is its behaviour towards brass synchro rings though.

Okay. This is why I'm here: The difference between a diverter and a blow-off is where the intake pressure is vented? Back to the atmosphere or back to the intake?

Okay. This is why I'm here: The difference between a diverter and a blow-off is where the intake pressure is vented? Back to the atmosphere or back to the intake?

Correct:

Blowoff-atmosphere

CBV/diverter-back to intake past maf to pr vent a metered air leak

;-)

Either one will work just fine. I was just messing with you. I figured you would have known the old arguments about how the VTA wouldn’t work yet it does.

What else do you need? I still have parts left over.

Nice work so far! Need to get those plugs for my car. Glad the new GL-5 is working for ya. Subaru Extra S works swimmingly in noisy, grumpy and tired transmissions.

Back