home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #26
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
Originally Posted by megulon-7 View Post
I dont see how the wagon will be more trouble replacing a quarter? What are these extra parts that are on a wagon?

And as for the extra weight, that folding rear seat you tear out will ditch a some, then get a 91-93 tail hatch (the only aluminum panel that ever came on a 240), do the 5 rear windows in plastic, and you should be ahead of the game.

There are WRX wagon rallycars out there, they seem to work fine.
Not as many wagons in the wrecking yards, aka... the rally parts depot.

JVL, I think this guy needs to rally a wagon. I mean... he already rawwwwwy-crosses an e30....
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #27
KoKi
Board Member

hm 15k?

http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=181734
KoKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #28
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotankshane View Post
Serious question:
what if you chop the roof over the cargo area and build a rally volcamino? At least to help with the weight slung out over the rear axle..

The beer brings the silly questions out at night
Why not a real ElCamino?

Or a Subaru Brat?

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #29
turbotankshane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Why not a real ElCamino?

Or a Subaru Brat?
A Subaru Brat would be my personal choice. I still haven't managed to pick one of those up.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
JohnLane
Board Member

OP look in the rally anarchy classifieds for a Volvo that is done right.

With real suspension from Sellholm.
A turbo motor that goes for real.
A Jerico Dogbox.
A 9" ford rear end with 35 spline axles and a spool so that won't fail among other things.
You're not 'Saving money' when suspension built out of rusty old **** and rebuilt struts fail at 110 miles an hour on a gravel road. Ask how I know.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #31
mark244turbo
Board Member

Quote:
Wagons as ironic statements are for hipsters...
Competition is supposedly about results---even if in the end it's about attaining enlightenment.
Your 100% right. Those ironic statements for hipsters have no place in competition....no sane person would ever enter a competition with a wagon and expect it to be competitive against lighter sedans, with lower center of gravity and less weight behind the rear wheels. ......

.....except perhaps the Factory Volvo Racing Team, Tom Walkinshaw Racing and a former F1 driver.

They never won a single race...but they achieved enlightenment every time they went over the curbs...Best result: 5 times more publicity than all other teams and immortallity!

Who won the competition??? I don't know...but i do remember the car that became 14th overall.
1983 244 turbo B21FT/AW71, full RUSToration/new rear (USA-import)
mark244turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #32
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Now it is getting a nicer motor: a nice B230 with JVAB 160mm rods, 8.0 compression and a nice Ford Cosworth turbo, a JVAB steel flywheel, and a Toyota 4-runner 8" rear axle for that nice big margin of safety when want in a car when the entries are over $500,

So yeah he's speaking from experience and he is right. A guy could use a wagon...
There's no point to, there is no advantages to, but people get on weird trips at the drop of a hat every day...weird things like painting the bitchin ally wheels black so they can't be seen (Brilliant!), and ruining cars by lowering them and using springs 3 or 4 times more than their inserts and dampers are valved for, and nobody blinks an eye.

So as always "Like. What evar"
Surely, there are many instances where black wheels do look good. Black on black is about as ugly as black on black crime, but is this?

And no doubt it's primary purpose is to look good. And if that's somebodys thing, that's cool. I can appreciate. LOL

BTW, I dig what you said about...

Quote:
9.4" travel custom valved coilovers mounted at the end of the axle...
Makes me think of the Lotus Elan and that whole well sorted long travel concept. But I believe in compliance over stiffness.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #33
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark244turbo View Post
They never won a single race...but they achieved enlightenment every time they went over the curbs...Best result: 5 times more publicity than all other teams and immortallity!
Yes!!!

Even more so then my beloved...

BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #34
Fjergus
Board Member

On the weight front, I want to say the tailgate alone weights about 75lbs (at least it seemed like that when I was doing the damn hinges). Soooo, just pull it off. Maybe replace it with a big sheet of lexan if the rules don't let you run with the ass end of your car open. Replace those rear windows with lexan too, and I bet you will have made up the difference right there.

Also, just think of how much easier it will be to weld up that roll cage with completely unimpeded access through the back of the car. There's a +1 for the wagon.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjergus View Post
On the weight front, I want to say the tailgate alone weights about 75lbs (at least it seemed like that when I was doing the damn hinges). Soooo, just pull it off. Maybe replace it with a big sheet of lexan if the rules don't let you run with the ass end of your car open. Replace those rear windows with lexan too, and I bet you will have made up the difference right there.

Also, just think of how much easier it will be to weld up that roll cage with completely unimpeded access through the back of the car. There's a +1 for the wagon.

It's more than that, one of the floor pan sections is thicker to make up for no cross brace behind the rear seat, not to mention the roof and extra D pillar which is not on a sedan.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 AM   #36
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Dooooo eeeeeeet! Come join the ranks of the rally tanks!!!

We are a kind and gentle bunch that enjoys making noise and going sideways.

FYI, a nearly bone stock Volvo 240 just placed 1st in open 2wd and 3rd in another 2wd class at Big White Rally. Check it out yo!
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #37
irish44j

Hah, so I still think about this idea every once in a while. But in the end, I didn't go the Volvo route, I just built the e30 for it...

That said, if this car ever gets totally balled up (and what rally car doesn't, eventually?) I still think I'll have to do the 240 wagon, since e30 touring shells are still too hard to get for cheap here!

irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote