home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #51
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Now see here, I have a very similar setup as you, and I don't ever come close to having that much responsiveness, no matter what I try. Either my entire setup is garbage or yours is a freak of nature. My peak boost looks like this per gear (~20 psi), per my datalogs:

1st: 5000
2nd: 4200
3rd: 3500
4th: 3000
5th: 2800

but hows your head been ported compared to garys? Wouldnt a really well ported head not see PSIG as fast as there isnt the same amount of restriction.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #52
maxitoman007
Board Member

Ok I may have found the issue... my car has a flame trap... yes, my turbo car for some reason has a flame trap. When blowing into my intake I was blowing air through the vacuum line going to the flame trap off the manifold and out through my catch can to the intake. Is that a big enough boost leak?
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #53
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
Ok I may have found the issue... my car has a flame trap... yes, my turbo car for some reason has a flame trap. When blowing into my intake I was blowing air through the vacuum line going to the flame trap off the manifold and out through my catch can to the intake. Is that a big enough boost leak?
Medium to huge. Run that SOB to the pre-turbo hose before that pressure breaks something.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #54
cwdodson88
Board Member

Hopefully you didn’t push any seals
Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #55
maxitoman007
Board Member

No oil puddles so far so we may be ok... currently fabbing some vacuum plugs. If I run a blocked vacuum line off the manifold nipple that was going to he flame trap and run a blocked vacuum line off the flame trap will that work? Or is even just having the flame trap in the return hose only a no no? I just don't have a hose long enough to run all the way from the pcv to the intake.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #56
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

You shouldn't block anything off at the flame trap. It needs to vent somewhere, either pre-turbo or to atmosphere if that's all you can do.
Feedback

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #57
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewNance View Post
You shouldn't block anything off at the flame trap. It needs to vent somewhere, either pre-turbo or to atmosphere if that's all you can do.
No no, I mean just block off the little vacuum line port coming off the flame trap, the large hose is still routed pre turbo.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #58
maxitoman007
Board Member

Update: installed the block offs and I think I can see an instant difference (well in neutral at least). Now even a slight blip of the throttle reduces the vacuum by around 7mmHg Where as it took some decent reving before the needle would move before. That being said, I'm now only pulling 16 mmHg vacuum cold and around 17 half-warmed up (idled for 3 ish minutes). Does this mean I have another vacuum leak somewhere?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #59
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Dunno what to say man. I'll see 5psi at 1800, 3500 it's sitting full tilt at 20 on the wastegate in any gear but I also have a converter to flash against. Even in locked in OD it'll see 15psi by 2800, takes a minute to get there though, and the revs climb kinda fast after that, along with the MPH...
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #60
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

What does the wideband say? I didn't see if you have a stock cam or not, which will affect vacuum at idle. Spray carb and choke cleaner at all the vacuum ports, if your idle raises you know it's a leak.

'90 245 Daily

Instagram: @itstotesdenny

I want all your nostalgic Volvo stuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 AM   #61
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Dunno what to say man. I'll see 5psi at 1800, 3500 it's sitting full tilt at 20 on the wastegate in any gear but I also have a converter to flash against. Even in locked in OD it'll see 15psi by 2800, takes a minute to get there though, and the revs climb kinda fast after that, along with the MPH...
But no boost in neutral right? I haven't had the chance to actually drive the car since the pcv incident so I'll possibly see the same results...? All I can do is pray... and perform more diagnosis haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDenny View Post
What does the wideband say? I didn't see if you have a stock cam or not, which will affect vacuum at idle. Spray carb and choke cleaner at all the vacuum ports, if your idle raises you know it's a leak.
Actually still waiting on a new sensor for my wideband so will update eventually. I'm still on the stock T cam
Old 11-28-2017, 01:33 AM   #62
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Probably with working the throttle I could spool it up a few pounds in neutral, but that's a completely irrelevant test unless you're some dubber at an import show trying to vent the BOV to make yourself look cool...

Am I reading this correct that you're questioning a boost issue without even having driven the car? Flawed logic is seriously flawed...
Old 11-28-2017, 01:52 AM   #63
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Probably with working the throttle I could spool it up a few pounds in neutral, but that's a completely irrelevant test unless you're some dubber at an import show trying to vent the BOV to make yourself look cool...

Am I reading this correct that you're questioning a boost issue without even having driven the car? Flawed logic is seriously flawed...
Was just going off the recommendation that vacuum on these cars should be between 18-22mmHg. And mine is slightly lower than that cold.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #64
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

You need to validate you have an issue before trying to diagnose a problem.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #65
maxitoman007
Board Member

You're right, but im still concerned now that someone has said that the vacuum line was there stock. Was blocking it a mistake? Makes no sense for it to be there to me, pretty much a built in boost leak.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #66
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
You're right, but im still concerned now that someone has said that the vacuum line was there stock. Was blocking it a mistake? Makes no sense for it to be there to me, pretty much a built in seal destroyer, ring unseater, crankcase pressurizer-er.
You may want to find a vacuum line diagram.... and fix all the previous owners "fixes". My 245 had some great vacuum line "fixes"
Old 11-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #67
maxitoman007
Board Member

Turns out the vacuum line is supposed to be there ugh. Back to stage 0, where is all my boost going!?
Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #68
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Turns out the vacuum line is supposed to be there ugh. Back to stage 0, where is all my boost going!?

Have you driven the car any?

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #69
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I am with John for once. Drive the car before digging into an issue you don't know even exists.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #70
maxitoman007
Board Member

I have since fixing the wastegate and it's still not boosting even close to how others describe. Struggling to hit boost in first year still maybe only 4 or 5 psi by redline.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #71
TurboDenny
Why am I here?

You might be caught up in what other people are describing. You're still running an M46 which has a ridiculously short first gear that isn't going to load the engine well. Go out on the highway in 4th gear, punch it at 2k rpm, and record when it hits max boost.

On a side note: can you get pictures of how your wastegate signal is plumbed?
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #72
maxitoman007
Board Member

Can't get a pic but I can describe everything non stock I've done vacuum/wastegate wise.
To start, I have a vacuum line coming off the stock nipple on the manifold (originally used for internal wastegate on stock Turbo) which is split in 3 by a 3 way splitter (not a tee but like equal angles between each nipple like a 3 point star). Off that splitter I have a vacuum line going to the bottom port on my external wastegate and the other vacuum line going to the boost solenoid for my EBC (Greddy E-01). From that solenoid I also have a vacuum line running to the top port of the wastegate. And lastly I have the stock FPR vacuum line cut and split (using another 3 way splitter) with one line going to the FPR and another going to the pressure sensor for the EBC. Most of this was me just following the instructions for the EBC.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:57 AM   #73
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

have you driven the car yet?
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 AM   #74
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
have you driven the car yet?
Since when?
Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 AM   #75
Janspeed
Board Member

nobody suggested a CBV problem yet?
Is the engine using a CBV? is it actually working and hooked up correctly?
it should be holding boost while throttle is applied = boost pressure acting against the CBV valve keeping it shut
OR
letting boost escape when throttle is shut = high vacume in intake manifold. The vacume is supposed to pull the CBV valve open.
The signal hose should be connected to the intake manifold between plenum chamber and throttle body
If that CBV is not working then the turbo can spin like crazy but it still won't produce proper boost.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote