home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #76
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

I'm not running a CBV so unfortunately that can't be the issue.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #77
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
Since when?

Since you began searching for the missing boost?
__________________
John Vanlandingham/JVAB Imports
Sleezattle WA, USA

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #78
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Brand/model of wastegate might help, to know if it's plumbed correctly...

But yeah, I'm with John. Have you driven it in it's current setup to verify there is a problem at this point?
__________________
RIP
Doug Williams aka Mr. Doug 4/15/2009
Pete Fluitman aka fivehundred 7/14/2013
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #79
TurboDenny
Why am I here?
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
To start, I have a vacuum line coming off the stock nipple on the manifold (originally used for internal wastegate on stock Turbo) which is split in 3 by a 3 way splitter (not a tee but like equal angles between each nipple like a 3 point star). Off that splitter I have a vacuum line going to the bottom port on my external wastegate and the other vacuum line going to the boost solenoid for my EBC (Greddy E-01). From that solenoid I also have a vacuum line running to the top port of the wastegate. And lastly I have the stock FPR vacuum line cut and split (using another 3 way splitter) with one line going to the FPR and another going to the pressure sensor for the EBC. Most of this was me just following the instructions for the EBC.
Don't use manifold vacuum for the bottom port of the wastegate nor the solenoid. They need to be a boost reference off the compressor housing.
__________________

'90 245 Daily


Instagram: @itstotesdenny

I want all your nostalgic Volvo stuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #80
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Wastegate is an old model turbosmart evolution 38mm external wastegate. I haven't driven the car with the pcv vacuum line block offs yet but I am going to take those off anyways because they aren't supposed to be there. Might get a small check valve so that the vacuum line is only open under vacuum and not boost although I've heard the hose coming from pre-turbo should pull enough vacuum under boost to make it nearly impossible for any of the boost coming through the vacuum line to make it into the pcv.

I have no nipples on my compressor housing...

Last edited by maxitoman007; 11-29-2017 at 02:57 PM..
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #81
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

FYI, the vacuum nipple for the PCV is a ported nipple anyway, around .040" or so I believe, so the leak there is minimal anyway.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:15 PM   #82
turbotankshane
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Have you tried using the electronic controller yet? A larger header, larger a/r hotside on a larger turbo and an old gate spring could be working against you here.

My wastegate signal's source comes from the intake, through the solenoid and to the wastegate and it has not been an issue.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #83
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

No not really yet, the EBC was always in a "learning procedure" or something which required some wot 3rd gear pulls to complete (which I didn't do). That was one of the places I was going to check next. The EBC has a manual mode which bypasses the learning procedure so I might try that.

Last edited by maxitoman007; 11-29-2017 at 07:47 PM..
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #84
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Update: Found some time to day to replace the pcv vacuum line I had previously bypassed so that is back how it should be now. Did some research and apparently my EBC's "auto learning mode" is quite poorly made and most people recommend running the controller in manual mode. Most have actually stated it helped a lot with spool time and their cars seemingly now have "break-neck" acceleration after switching off this auto mode, sounds promising. I haven't yet has the chance to do any road testing but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to switch the EBC to manual mode to see if that helps the situation.

Also I would just like to say thank you to anyone who has helped me with this issue and any issue related to this car. This is a truly great forum filled with great people. I really appreciate you guys putting up with my seemingly sub par knowledge of these engines and I really look forward to learning more, so thank you.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #85
esmth
dirty swede
 
esmth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDenny View Post
You might be caught up in what other people are describing. You're still running an M46 which has a ridiculously short first gear that isn't going to load the engine well. Go out on the highway in 4th gear, punch it at 2k rpm, and record when it hits max boost.
OP, look at this. I have trouble getting more than 3psi in first on my m46 with 3.73 rear... mostly because the engine has hurled itself into the rev limiter before the turbo gets into it's efficiency zone
__________________
1991 244 +T LH2.4 m46 280k miles with B cam & STS cam gear adv 4*, 954 fuel & 207 ezk tuned with Ostrich, 350cc EV6 white injectors, 2.5" exhaust w/ magnaflow straight-through, SLC free wideband
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #86
K9 240
Board Member
 
K9 240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Midlands UK
Default

Not wanting to muddy the waters here, but wasn't there a thread a good while back discussing whether or not a connection from the Y connector to the inlet manifold was needed on a turbo motor? - & concluded that it was not required. I know after I had done my +T it didn't seem a good idea & did not connect it.
I can appreciate that it may have been a small opening, but all those nipples have been in & out a few times (smutty joke reference deleted) as well as the manifold being swapped so I don't know if it was on the right one anyway.
I do know that Stealthfti on his own site, talking about improving crankcase ventilation, shows a picture of the flame trap with a cover on the small tee. Having gone back & read it more carefully he actually says " NA motors and B230FTs use the small tee for the bleed to the intake. B21FTs do not use the small tee; hence the cap on it."
So why one turbo motor & not the other?
To make matters worse I have a B200 motor with a Kjet head/inlet !
K9 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #87
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmth View Post
OP, look at this. I have trouble getting more than 3psi in first on my m46 with 3.73 rear... mostly because the engine has hurled itself into the rev limiter before the turbo gets into it's efficiency zone
I still don't quite have a good understanding of how gear ratios work (tall gears,short gears, what the number means etc.), but I did find that my 740 turbo should have a 3.54 differential, but I don't know if that helps my case or makes it worse. What you're describing is almost exactly what I'm feeling in my car, it's like it wants to keep going but there's nowhere for it to go (already on the rev limiter). I will try to do some 4th gear pulls this afternoon. Are you on a similar turbo setup? What should I look for as good performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 240 View Post
Not wanting to muddy the waters here, but wasn't there a thread a good while back discussing whether or not a connection from the Y connector to the inlet manifold was needed on a turbo motor? - & concluded that it was not required. I know after I had done my +T it didn't seem a good idea & did not connect it.
I can appreciate that it may have been a small opening, but all those nipples have been in & out a few times (smutty joke reference deleted) as well as the manifold being swapped so I don't know if it was on the right one anyway.
I do know that Stealthfti on his own site, talking about improving crankcase ventilation, shows a picture of the flame trap with a cover on the small tee. Having gone back & read it more carefully he actually says " NA motors and B230FTs use the small tee for the bleed to the intake. B21FTs do not use the small tee; hence the cap on it."
So why one turbo motor & not the other?
To make matters worse I have a B200 motor with a Kjet head/inlet !
So you're telling me it'd be better if blocked it again? I too don't know if I currently have it connected to the right nipple on
the manifold which is slightly worrying as I could be putting much more boost pressure through that vacuum line than was ever intended if it ended up on a bigger nipple and could be starving another important vacuum connection (possibly to the wastegate) due to the smaller nipple size intended for the pcv. Does anyone know which nipple is supposed to be for the pcv?
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #88
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
What burns with a lot of smoke?
Used tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
Update: Found some time to day to replace the pcv vacuum line I had previously bypassed so that is back how it should be now. Did some research and apparently my EBC's "auto learning mode" is quite poorly made and most people recommend running the controller in manual mode. Most have actually stated it helped a lot with spool time and their cars seemingly now have "break-neck" acceleration after switching off this auto mode, sounds promising. I haven't yet has the chance to do any road testing but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to switch the EBC to manual mode to see if that helps the situation.

If the EBC is a possible culprit, take it out of circuit completely. Just run a hose straight to the WG from the turbo or wherever. 9psi spring right?
__________________
'90 244 - First car, antique tags and sitting under a shade tree.
'92 944T - Someone come get this thing.
'96 854 GLT - Old daily, currently for sale
'92 245 - Semi-daily, soon to be garaged and +T'd
'97 854R - New daily
'06 XC90 V8 - Family/Grocery Hauler - Wifemobile
Feedback:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ght=dmfwallace

Last edited by DMFWallace; 11-30-2017 at 12:12 PM..
DMFWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #89
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFWallace View Post
If the EBC is a possible culprit, take it out of circuit completely. Just run a hose straight to the WG from the turbo or wherever. 9psi spring right?
Not sure, when I opened the wastegate up during troubleshooting I believe I had a 5 psi spring (a used one at that) will have to verify. My EBC can be turned off where it vents the top port of the wastegate to atmosphere through the solenoid and runs as if it wasn't there. Might try that to verify my wastegate spring pressure.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #90
esmth
dirty swede
 
esmth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
I still don't quite have a good understanding of how gear ratios work (tall gears,short gears, what the number means etc.), but I did find that my 740 turbo should have a 3.54 differential, but I don't know if that helps my case or makes it worse. What you're describing is almost exactly what I'm feeling in my car, it's like it wants to keep going but there's nowhere for it to go (already on the rev limiter). I will try to do some 4th gear pulls this afternoon. Are you on a similar turbo setup? What should I look for as good performance?
The higher numbers are shorter gears. The 3.54 rear would be a little bit better than mine in that case. My last post was describing when I had the 13c turbo. Now I have a Turbonetics T3/T04B with .48 a/r turbine and I don't even bother trying to get boost in first, it's a useless gear anyway. Honestly idk what would be good performance as i built mine to be a fun DD, it's never been on a track and i've never timed or compared it to another Volvo
esmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #91
turbotankshane
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default

Well the m46 4.03 first gear with a 3.54 rear end, assuming a 24.2 inch tire and 6200 rpm rev limiter, will net you 31mph in first gear. Now I'm not sure exactly what tire size you're running, but that's a pretty hefty amount of gear reduction for what you're trying to do. Couple that with a larger turbo manifold and larger turbine housing and you're going to be up in the rpms in first before it builds any efficient boost. I'm not saying its something you need to change, but definitely don't try to use first gear as a measurement of how fast its going to spool.

And since its an m46 probably shouldn't bang out 3rd either.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #92
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Alright, good to know. So which gear would you recommend for testing? Have all these people claiming to spool to 20psi by 3500 in first have t5s or something? What should I be looking for? I'm hoping that the ipd cam I'm hoping for for Christmas coupled with an adjustable cam gear will help me lower the powerband a bit so I get better spool in the lower rpms.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #93
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
Alright, good to know. So which gear would you recommend for testing? Have all these people claiming to spool to 20psi by 3500 in first have t5s or something? What should I be looking for? I'm hoping that the ipd cam I'm hoping for for Christmas coupled with an adjustable cam gear will help me lower the powerband a bit so I get better spool in the lower rpms.
I get that kind of boost response in 3rd and my trans is a T5...so 3rd or 4th.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #94
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Default

You have the lowest of the low for powerband with that T cam. The iPd cam is going to wake it up across the board though.
DMFWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #95
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Alright so 20 psi by 3500 in 3rd would be good for my setup?
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #96
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
 
culberro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
Alright so 20 psi by 3500 in 3rd would be good for my setup?
Go drive your car on the stock WG spring and report back what happens in 3rd and 4th gear.
Start at around 2k rpm as others have mentioned.
Then up your boost to 10psi and do the same.
Then up to 12-15psi. Report back.
__________________
Cult Person. Pissing in your Kool-Aid.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #97
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Go look at the nipples closely (that's what she said). You'll see one is MUCH smaller inside than the others. That one goes to the breather, the others go to the other items.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #98
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Go look at the nipples closely (that's what she said). You'll see one is MUCH smaller inside than the others. That one goes to the breather, the others go to the other items.
Alright i will check in a bit.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #99
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer
 
gsellstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Somewhere in a northern California smog bank
Default

Also one should have a line around it on the outside. I believe that is the ported one for the pcv system.
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #100
maxitoman007
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Also one should have a line around it on the outside. I believe that is the ported one for the pcv system.
Alright so my pcv and boost gauge lines were swapped so I may have been getting slightly too much boost going through the pcv but they are swapped back now. I will go for a drive in a bit.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.