home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 12-01-2017, 01:37 AM   #101
maxitoman007
Board Member

Ok, didn't get the chance to drive lots but here are the first results. I only had the chance to do tests with the EBC off not with settings adjusted yet. So I was correct, my wastegate spring is indeed a 5psi spring as when I hit 5 psi it would not go past. As for spool rpm, in second I managed to hit 5psi by 4000rpm and in 3rd I hit it at 3000 both at wot. Didn't have the chance to test 4th as my car began misfiring (determined it was a bad spark plug wire so I'll replace that asap, anybody know any cheap but decent auto parts store replacements?). The car felt better, could have been just me but before it started misfiring it felt like it was pretty quick. I'm excited to slowly work my way up to 20psi and maybe more. If these results are indeed ok.
maxitoman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #102
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

NGK BPR7ES

Good progress.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #103
lummert
Board Member

Cheap auto parts store spark plug wires are a waste of money. At least check out NGK wires.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #104
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Cheap auto parts store spark plug wires are a waste of money. At least check out NGK wires.
Ok, found some at napa for $70 they are Altrom. In other threads I've heard good things about them so I might give them a go.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #105
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Still seems slow..

My 940T could (eventually) build 5psi at T/C stall speed which is roughly 2500rpm? with a .63 hot side and was at 18 by 4,000-ish. Granted, your cold side is larger than mine was. My old turbo was a cheapo .50/.63 ebay affair. You may still have a leak somewhere.

Do you have factory sized piping? When you had the flange on the ebay manifold flipped, did you make sure the ports on the head flange lined up nicely with the runners? Was there any overlap between the flange and the tubing? Maybe a restriction there.. but still sounds like it may be leaking boost/air.

Low boost in first gear is still not surprising.

Never heard of Altrom but I got my last set of NGK wires at the local NAPA if I recall correctly.
'92 245 - Semi-daily, soon to be garaged and +T'd
'97 854R - New daily
'06 XC90 V8 - Family/Grocery Hauler - Wifemobile
Feedback:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ght=dmfwallace
DMFWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #106
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Buy cheapies to get you by, and then order some Kinsborne wires from the states.

http://www.kingsbornewires.com/Searc...s.asp?Cat=1938
Old 12-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #107
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFWallace View Post
Still seems slow..

My 940T could (eventually) build 5psi at T/C stall speed which is roughly 2500rpm? with a .63 hot side and was at 18 by 4,000-ish. Granted, your cold side is larger than mine was. My old turbo was a cheapo .50/.63 ebay affair. You may still have a leak somewhere.

Do you have factory sized piping? When you had the flange on the ebay manifold flipped, did you make sure the ports on the head flange lined up nicely with the runners? Was there any overlap between the flange and the tubing? Maybe a restriction there.. but still sounds like it may be leaking boost/air.

Low boost in first gear is still not surprising.

Never heard of Altrom but I got my last set of NGK wires at the local NAPA if I recall correctly.
Yea I'm not sure about the boost, most of my piping is factory sized aside from the piping to the bigger intercooler (although this is only bigger piping). I did check the mani before installing and the flange lined up great. Were you still running a stock T cam like me?

Wonder if I'll be able to return the cheapies once I get my new wires.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #108
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
Buy cheapies to get you by, and then order some Kinsborne wires from the states.

http://www.kingsbornewires.com/Searc...s.asp?Cat=1938
This.

I've been running their wires on a few vehicles for quite a while. Mine were cheaper after shipping and tax, with the firebraid and a custom coil wire than a new set of Bougi's, let alone that $70 set from Napa. Grante I'm assuming that $70 is Canadian monies though...
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #109
maxitoman007
Board Member

$70 napa wires would be the "cheap wires to get me by" as those are the cheapest wires I can find here in calgary that'll fit my car. Hoping I can open the box very carefully as to be able to return them after. Found a guy selling a new set of bougicords and is willing to ship them to me for $30 plus shipping CAD only from Ontario as for the kingsborne wires, I have a feeling shipping will be expensive as when checking out it says "shipping estimation not available, we will contact you." So I'm tempted to go for the bougicords.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #110
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

If you're sweating bullets over $40 Canuckistani pesos for spark plug wires you should probably not be trying to cobble together a fast car...
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #111
maxitoman007
Board Member

Alright haha I'll order them from the guy.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #112
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxitoman007 View Post
$70 napa wires would be the "cheap wires to get me by" as those are the cheapest wires I can find here in calgary that'll fit my car. Hoping I can open the box very carefully as to be able to return them after. Found a guy selling a new set of bougicords and is willing to ship them to me for $30 plus shipping CAD only from Ontario as for the kingsborne wires, I have a feeling shipping will be expensive as when checking out it says "shipping estimation not available, we will contact you." So I'm tempted to go for the bougicords.
Bougicord wires are OE quality and will last several years.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #113
maxitoman007
Board Member

Good news, didn't even need new wires. Found a different bougicord of the correct length in my bin of parts that I had deemed broken earlier before but discovered it simply had an old spark plug cap still in the connector hence why it wasn't working right. Removed that, installed it and it worked like a charm. Time to experiment with more boost
Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #114
lummert
Board Member

Just wondering what kind of performance you're expecting from this earlier version of the B230FT? Do you have a later replacement engine lined up just in case of a blown engine? The slightly improved K block didn't appear until mid 1988, then the 13 mm connecting rods in 1990 or 1991.

Last edited by lummert; 12-02-2017 at 12:18 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #115
maxitoman007
Board Member

Update: turned up the boost to 15psi to start, was hitting that by around 4500 ish in second. Set boost up to 18ish psi and was hitting that around 5k in second and pulled very hard until redline. in third it hit 18psi by around 4300 but didn't pull as hard as second. Didn't quite feel as much like boost as second which I believe is expected in third gear. So far no pinging as far as my ping-virgin ears can tell, I've heard it sounds like marbles in a can which I never heard. So more boost? Hoping and ipd cam and adjustable cam gear will help me hit peak boost a little earlier in the rpm range.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #116
esmth
dirty swede

If your exhaust is loud it can be hard to hear ping
Old 12-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #117
maxitoman007
Board Member

Exhaust is quite loud as it's out the hood although I've heard hood exits are quieter than open dp's.. Can anyone link me to a clip of what pinging sounds like? Will I know it when I hear it?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #118
lummert
Board Member

Exhaust out the hood on a road car? Last time I tried that was the early 70's.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #119
maxitoman007
Board Member

Didn't have much pipe so I made due. Now can we talk about my results? Good? Bad? What does everybody think?

Also is ping really noticeable?

Lastly should I return my base timing to 12 btdc instead of the 15 it's at now? Could this be contributing somehow?

Edit: forgot to mention that the turbo only really begins pulling at around 10psi at least in second. Up to 10 psi, acceleration is decently slow, but after 10psi, the boost shoots up to 18 very quickly. I've heard of people saying the stock T cam won't rev well past 4800, but past 4800 was when my car pulled the best... could just be the settings on the EBC which I have yet to tune, but as of now, in second at least, I often feel like the rev limit is the only thing stopping this thing from hauling a** a lot longer.

Last edited by maxitoman007; 12-02-2017 at 02:31 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #120
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Sounds like your timing belt may be off a tooth. That would explain a lot of things, including why it wakes up at 4800.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #121
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Pinging sounds like a box of marbles.

What's your fuel system? I'm guessing stock since you can't afford spark plug wires. You should probably turn the boost down before you break something.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #122
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Sounds like your timing belt may be off a tooth. That would explain a lot of things, including why it wakes up at 4800.
Off a tooth in the cam?I highly doubt it my timing cover is still off so I can see the marks line up on gear and cover. One off on the crank? Alright I did check using the harmonic balancer and timing scale when I did it so I gues the balancer could have slipped a bit? But wouldn't that make my base timing adjustment off also. which way should I try adjusting the crank? if the belt were to stay in the same place should the crank go a tooth clockwise or counter clockwise? How would I set base timing? Is there any way to confirm you are at tdc?

But wait if I did get the crank and engine a true tdc wouldn't my can then look like it was off? Could I just adjust that instead? Is one tooth on the cam gear equal to a crank tooth? This is so confusing.

Edit: I've thought about it and I'm pretty sure a tooth is a tooth whether it be on the crank or the cam gear so on that note, I might just try setting the cam gear off a tooth (clockwise to advance timing?) and just see if it's better. If it is I'll just look at where the balancer timing mark hits when the cam is ligned up with the back cover to determine how offset the mark is then knowing that offset, I could set base timing using the old balancer mark by accounting for the offset. More of a guess and check method

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
Pinging sounds like a box of marbles.

What's your fuel system? I'm guessing stock since you can't afford spark plug wires. You should probably turn the boost down before you break something.
I'm using browntops on lh 2.2

Last edited by maxitoman007; 12-02-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-03-2017, 12:31 AM   #123
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I'm NOT recommending setting it off a tooth, I'm simply recommending you VERIFY it is correct, with the cam and crank both at TDC.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:58 AM   #124
Hotdoggin
Board Member

1984 244DL - Crushed
1984 245DL - Sitting in someone's yard
1991 740SE - girlfriend's car
2008 S60 2.5T - Money drainer
Hotdoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:25 AM   #125
maxitoman007
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
I'm NOT recommending setting it off a tooth, I'm simply recommending you VERIFY it is correct, with the cam and crank both at TDC.
Well when I check, the cam lines up with the timing mark and the tdc mark on the pulley lines up with the 0 degrees but that could have slipped. Is there any harm in trying it a tooth forward just to see if it runs more normally?