home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-24-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Default Which cam for the b230f is the most worth it now?

I read around that the A/B/K cams were a great upgrade over the stock M cam. But seeing as how they are going for around $250+ on eBay now, would the IPD cams be a better buy?
GeneralBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Post an ad in the wanted section of these forums. A/b cams typically run $50-75 from what I've seen. K cams do bring a little bit more. $250 for one is wild.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
vwblue1967
Board Member

pretty sure I paid around $60 for mine, that was posted for sale on this site. Just ask for one or look. --B cam, made a noticeable difference.

You can get a A/B cam for pretty cheap. When I see H/K or the V cams, they seem to be a bit more especially on ebay. Also keep in mind buying from IPD its new so for sure more expensive the Volvo cams are going to be used but worth it.

93 244 stockish.
vwblue1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwblue1967 View Post
pretty sure I paid around $60 for mine, that was posted for sale on this site. Just ask for one or look. --B cam, made a noticeable difference.

You can get a A/B cam for pretty cheap. When I see H/K or the V cams, they seem to be a bit more especially on ebay. Also keep in mind buying from IPD its new so for sure more expensive the Volvo cams are going to be used but worth it.
Would you recommend a K cam? I have also heard of the RSI stage 1 cam being an overall better cam than the K, but RSI is long gone. Also, would a K cam pass emissions in California? Given I have the lh2.2, I could advance the timing a little to help with the weaker low end and have an overall better powerband.

Last edited by GeneralBurrito; 11-24-2017 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: adding more information
Old 11-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
white855T
Board Member

Do you have auto or manual? K cam is great for a manual. If auto, A or B cam would be a good budget route. B cams go for 50-60. A cams a little more 75-100. The guy on ebay has those cams overpriced.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
Do you have auto or manual? K cam is great for a manual. If auto, A or B cam would be a good budget route. B cams go for 50-60. A cams a little more 75-100. The guy on ebay has those cams overpriced.
I have an m47. Doing a little more research, it seems the V cam would maybe work a little better for me as it has a little better low end than the K. Is the D cam any special? Some people have said that the D is the best for an NA application.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
quillc
yv1a.com

I run an A cam in my 91 wagon and previously in my 83 coupe (which now has an H).

Little more lump in the idle, but definitely increased power. With the A instead of the M, I can pull a hill on the highway that I previously would have to downshift for.

With its increased lift/duration/overlap, I would have a hard time believing that it would pass emissions in CA. You never know however and it wouldn't be expensive to give it a try.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

as usual, you didn't say what for? For usage? Plans?
NO: name age budget skills anything about who the fawk you are or what you want to do or anything..
(Notice how the lack of any clue as to who what why you are, people just jump right in with opinions?)

Want to try again?

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
as usual, you didn't say what for? For usage? Plans?
NO: name age budget skills anything about who the fawk you are or what you want to do or anything..
(Notice how the lack of any clue as to who what why you are, people just jump right in with opinions?)

Want to try again?
Jesus Christ someone's a little angry. It's for daily driving with a little spirited driving every now and then. Plans, get the car in good driving condition that isn't a stock slow brick, just want to get a better cam in it.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBurrito View Post
Jesus Christ someone's a little angry. It's for daily driving with a little spirited driving every now and then. Plans, get the car in good driving condition that isn't a stock slow brick, just want to get a better cam in it.
I assure you he is not angry.

Just imagine for a second.

An old Volvo, hood open, a few guys looking under the hood having a beer.

You show up, without any introduction, and say :

"I read around that the A/B/K cams were a great upgrade over the stock M cam. But seeing as how they are going for around $250+ on eBay now, would the IPD cams be a better buy?"

People would frown.
That's what this is, frowning, no big deal, no anger, no hard feeling.
And in this situation, it's kind of a normal reaction.
Don't you think?

So let's try again (now that you have mentionned your goals):

Hey dude, welcome to the forum, name's Vince.
What's your name?
How old are you?
What car do you drive?
Have you ****ed with cars for a long time or you a new to it?

Last edited by Vincent Gagnon; 11-24-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
EivlEvo
Board Member

QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
I assure you he is not angry.

Just imagine for a second.

An old Volvo, hood open, a few guys looking under the hood having a beer.

You show up, without any introduction, and say :

"I read around that the A/B/K cams were a great upgrade over the stock M cam. But seeing as how they are going for around $250+ on eBay now, would the IPD cams be a better buy?"

People would frown.
That's what this is, frowning, no big deal, no anger, no hard feeling.
And in this situation, it's kind of a normal reaction.
Don't you think?

So let's try again (now that you have mentionned your goals):

Hey dude, welcome to the forum, name's Vince.
What's your name?
How old are you?
What car do you drive?
Have you ****ed with cars for a long time or you a new to it?
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Would you recommend a K cam? I have also heard of the RSI stage 1 cam being an overall better cam than the K, but RSI is long gone. Also, would a K cam pass emissions in California? Given I have the lh2.2, I could advance the timing a little to help with the weaker low end and have an overall better powerband.

Quote:
Get a 'B' cam.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

The B cam made a noticeable difference in my old 89 B230F "NA" engine. Lease the shim kit from IPD, take your time, buy the hushers to quiet her down a bit (they probably lasted long enough to get new vehicles out of warranty). Take special care with your timing belt reinstallation and setup.... many on here have buggered that up, it has some tricks necessary to get it right. More than a few have destroyed valves/pistons by not torqueing the cam gear bolt properly. MORE tricks to do that right, and keep her running. You don't need IPD or RSI cams for a non Turbo DD that just needs to get out of it's own way a bit.

Nope, John isn't mad..... he's just seen this movie too many times

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #14
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

B cam in my '90 n/a daily 240. It made a pretty good difference versus the stock M cam. It's still a slow car.

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
The B cam made a noticeable difference in my old 89 B230F "NA" engine. Lease the shim kit from IPD, take your time, buy the hushers to quiet her down a bit (they probably lasted long enough to get new vehicles out of warranty). Take special care with your timing belt reinstallation and setup.... many on here have buggered that up, it has some tricks necessary to get it right. More than a few have destroyed valves/pistons by not torqueing the cam gear bolt properly. MORE tricks to do that right, and keep her running. You don't need IPD or RSI cams for a non Turbo DD that just needs to get out of it's own way a bit.

Nope, John isn't mad..... he's just seen this movie too many times
How is the V cam in comparison to the B?

And to satisfy everyone:
Name: Pablo
Experience with general car service: auto service classes in HS, interned at a shop
Experience with Bricks: none
Old 11-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member

Quote:
How is the V cam in comparison to the B?

And to satisfy everyone:
Name: Pablo
Experience with general car service: auto service classes in HS, interned at a shop
Experience with Bricks: none
Hi Pablo.

Here is some unofficial specs for the different cams :

http://turbobricks.com/resources.php?content=camspec
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #17
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
Hi Pablo.

Here is some unofficial specs for the different cams :

http://turbobricks.com/resources.php?content=camspec
Thank you, I think I'll go with the V cam. Would it be recommended to get a cam and swap it while I have the timing belt replaced?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #18
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Thank you, I think I'll go with the V cam. Would it be recommended to get a cam and swap it while I have the timing belt replaced?
The belt must come off to R&R the cam, so yes. Also suggested to change seals at the front of the engine (crank & aux. shaft) IF they show signs of leaking. If they are grey color rubber lip, and don't leak, leave them alone. Even tho the V cam might show small differences in lift/duration, I doubt you will be able to feel any difference between them.
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #19
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Replace the rear cam plug while in there and don't forget the hushers.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #20
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
Replace the rear cam plug while in there and don't forget the hushers.
How many hushers should I get?
Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #21
2manyturbos

Quote:
How many hushers should I get?
8 They go on the end of the valve stems and quiet the cam followers. Adjust the valves first, then, remove the cam and followers and install the hushers. It is a PITA.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #22
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Not at all! That's not even logical..Come on, you gonna work on cars there are logical things to do and to have any happiness---and that is the whole point of being here---then you must learn to be logical---within the illogical world.

here's a basic thing you must grasp:

Engine torque is pretty much a function of engine volume and (dynamic) compression ratio,,

The camshaft moves the powerband around--where peak tirque is in the revs and as a result of where peak torque is, where peak HP occurs..
But its torque that moves the car..
Fapping about one POS emmissions cam over another POS emissions cam is max fapping.

You want more fun?
Pull the head and surface (mill) it about .040"

Then get a cam that is supposed to be a FUN cam, not a POS emissions cam in a car designed and built and sold to crusty ol sprout eating white guys...

The car will be boo-coo funer-er...
Get the static comp up to somewhere between 11 and 11.4 and the K cam is fun.
But since people want stupid money for them I'm getting some cams out of Sweden that are FUN cams on new sticks that cost less than people have been asking---and getting---for used cams here in Fapp-central

Last edited by John V, outside agitator; 11-25-2017 at 04:13 PM..
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

I'm going to disagree about the hushers. $25 in my wallet sounds much nicer than the minimal amount of valve noise they prevent.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #24
2manyturbos

^^

The problem is, he is in CA where one has to be concerned about emissions. It doesn't take much modifying to make a car not pass CA emissions inspections, thus, non-licenseable.

I agree on the hushers. I don't install them on my own redblocks. When the valves are adjusted correctly, they are quiet without them, IMO. Besides, I love the sound of a solid cam. It's the percussion section in a symphony, IMO.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #25
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Not at all! That's not even logical..Come on, you gonna work on cars there are logical things to do and to have any happiness---and that is the whole point of being here---then you must learn to be logical---within the illogical world.

here's a basic thing you must grasp:

Engine torque is pretty much a function of engine volume and (dynamic) compression ratio,,

The camshaft moves the powerband around--where peak tirque is in the revs and as a result of where peak torque is, where peak HP occurs..
But its torque that moves the car..
Fapping about one POS emmissions cam over another POS emissions cam is max fapping.

You want more fun?
Pull the head and surface (mill) it about .040"

Then get a cam that is supposed to be a FUN cam, not a POS emissions cam in a car designed and built and sold to crusty ol sprout eating white guys...

The car will be boo-coo funer-er...
Get the static comp up to somewhere between 11 and 11.4 and the K cam is fun.
But since people want stupid money for them I'm getting some cams out of Sweden that are FUN cams on new sticks that cost less than people have been asking---and getting---for used cams here in Fapp-central
Yeah I was thinking about the K cam, but like you said people want some big money for them. And I have thought about milling the head, maybe later down the road.