• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Help needed buying a 86 wagon

bypedro

So.. I' loocking at volvo 740 wagon of 86 it has 180k Kilometers but doesn't run for the last 10 years.

It seems to not have to much rust, only has a small hole of rust in the rear left taillight (Inside), in radioator top mounts, exhaust shield and that piece on top of the alternator.

My question is what things should i be locking mechanical wise.
Right now im at:
Timing Belt.
All normal maintenance stuff (Oil, filters, removing old gas, etc)
New tires (Easy one on the list since i already have some wheels with decent tires)
Window trim rubber in the passenger door (Not really mechanical but i think that i need to replace since it may leak water inside the door.

Also should i be worry about the rust. The car was in a garage the last 10 year however I will be having it at rain.

So.. I' loocking at volvo 740 wagon of 86 it has 180k Kilometers but doesn't run for the last 10 years.

There may be a good reason why it sat for ten years....not being mechanically inclined, it may be best to keep on looking, elsewhere.

10 years is a long time. If it was free and you could do all of the work yourself I?d say maybe, a big maybe. It?s just not that special or valuable car for the work it would need. Also didn?t those early 740?s have wiring harness issues?

10 years is a long time. If it was free and you could do all of the work yourself I?d say maybe, a big maybe. It?s just not that special or valuable car for the work it would need. Also didn?t those early 740?s have wiring harness issues?

My 86 did, I had to replace all underhood wiring a few years ago. Unless this is a project you can do 98% of the work on and don't mind it taking a while, I agree, don't buy it

Thanks everybody! I decided against it.
Also i was going to check a volvo 940 wagon today and my volvo 740 16v just died because of the idle air control... I Guess its not the time for buying a volvo for me.

Thanks everybody! I decided against it.
Also i was going to check a volvo 940 wagon today and my volvo 740 16v just died because of the idle air control... I Guess its not the time for buying a volvo for me.

The idle air control valve is an easy part to source and almost everyone has a few on their parts shelf. If that is your problem, then consider yourself lucky.

Back