• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 940 regina keeps flooding

Billiam500

This morning I start up my car and pull out of the driveway to park in the street. no Problems. A few hours later I get in and try to start it, but it gets flooded. So I pull the plugs, clean them, and let the cylinders air out before I replace them. Then it floods again. Repeat the process, but this time I spray cold start int the intake: It fires up, sputters for a few seconds, then dies flooded. What the hell is happening?
The car is non-turbo.
Thanks!

Wow..could be a couple of things. My 90 was a Regina before I converted. Pull the vacuum line off the fuel regulator on the front of the fuel rail. If the hose reeks of gasoline, your fuel regulator is shot and dumping fuel.

it does not sound like it is flooded if it starts when you spray starting fluid into the intake .. sounds more like it is NOT getting fuel ... check the basics? RSR good? are the injectors clicking?

it does not sound like it is flooded if it starts when you spray starting fluid into the intake .. sounds more like it is NOT getting fuel ... check the basics? RSR good? are the injectors clicking?

No, it does flood. I sprayed starting fluid in AFTER I cleaned the plugs(they were soaking wet) and allowed time for the cylinders to dry out.

Yeah it sells like fuel. Apparently you can use a Bosch turbo FPR in place of an NA regina one, and the Bosch part costs about half as much. Thanks!

if the vac line smells of fuel then it could of blown out causing it to run huge rich ... a simple swap with another good unit would let you know right away if it was bad

Well the new FPR is in but it still won't run. I pulled the fuel rail, placed paper towels under the injectors, and turned the key for the fuel pump(didn't crank it); nothing came out of the injectors so I don't think they are stuck open. Also after I clicked the FP on I opened the throttle body to check if I can hear fuel spraying from the Cold start Injector, but I didn't hear anything. After dinner I'm going to pull the TB and check for puddles of fuel.
Any other tips?
Thanks in advance!

Check the resistance of the ECT sensor and post the resistances. I now have a Regina Green Book at home.

Also, are you sure your '92 940 has a cold start injector. When did Regina systems do away with it as the '93 at my shop (lol) doesn't have one.

Engine temp sensor... Try disconnecting the cold start injector and see what happens... If the tem sensor is bad, it can fool the systen into thinking it is extreamly cold..Will cause the cold start injector as well as the cylinder injectors to be waaayyyyyy rich...

Yeah I think it has a cold start injector, it's in the middle of the mani and angled downward toward the block. I'll try unplugging it.

OK IT RUNS!!! I unplugged the cold start injector and replaced the spark plugs(old ones looked fine but I figured it couldn't hurt) and i fired right up. I don't think it's the engine temp sensor because it ran fine when cold (mid 50*F weather) and continued to run and drive fine throughout warmup. Maybe air temp sensor?

Back