• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting 240 from 1982 to 1988+ dash

t8fanning

8v are still cool, right?
I'm converting my dash from the stock bolster-less one to a nicer dash with knee bolster from a 1993ish 240. I think I've got all the parts to support the knee bolster, but the car I got them from was partially disassembled.

Could anyone share some detail pictures of the driver's footwell? I'm specifically interested in the mounting of the right side knee bolster support. I'm curious how it mounts to the upright center console support and how the plastic trim pieces interface with it. The ways I've mocked it up seem to stress the plastic center console too much.

I've seen some good pictures here: http://cleanflametrap.com/brakelights.htm, but it doesn't quite give me the detail on the right side mount that I need.

The piece that goes across horizontally attaches to the bracket that holds the dash structure up. It is different than the 89 and older upright support. I think I have one if you don’t have the later version. There are actually 2 pieces that make up that bracket.

This is what I currently have, it's probably from an 88 or 89 but I'm not sure:

4ct4Giil.jpg

9472VIkl.jpg

DUnW8fDl.jpg

This hood release bracket requires me drilling holes in the body to mount it, which I'm happy to do. But you're saying the later bracket mounts to the dash support?

The bracket on the right and your picture right above my post attaches to the bracket that goes from the side of the transmission tunnel up to the bottom of the dash beam. The bracket attaches to one that is the same as the one that’s already in your car, except, that it has weld nuts on it for that other bracket that you already have too attach to it.

I think I found the answer to my question. I think the right side bracket goes like this:

HZFVfQKl.jpg

but there seems to be a difference in the newer style center console plastics that move the mounting hole down like this:

My old style center console needs to stretch over the knee bolster bracket, but the newer style seems to be cut away. Looks like I need to cut my center console or find a newer style.

Yes. One end goes to the outside of the upright, the other end tucks in behind. There is a difference in the center stack panel. The top corner is cut away. You probably have to see them side by side to get what I'm referring to. I have several center stack consoles in black that are correct for a 90-93 dash.

The side panel that goes with the later air bad dash is cut to clear that structure. You may be able to use your center stack panel once you cut your side panel, or, replace it with the later version.

Last edited:
reading quick during meetings but I think you've got it. if you need pictures let me know I have the knee bolster and side panel off my car to do the heater valve. I'll probably be in that garage tomorrow.

Back