• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

E85 for a Turbo

Lotuselanman

Gidday,
I have a 242GT with a Turbo engine ex a 760.
Normally Premium fuel is advised.
Has anyone gone down the route of larger injectors and using E85 or E 100?

To clarify any wrong terminoligy, I am Australian.

Why am I asking this question?
I have a Sports Race Car powered by a Nissan 2LTR Turbo, with a larger I/C and 3" exhaust it shows over 200HP on Premium petrol. For next season I am collecting bits for a powere up-grade. Larger Turbo, 740cc Injectors up from 340ccand mild Turbo cams and using Cane fuel. Total outlay for parts is $2000 US, this will give me inexcess of 400HP at the Flywheel using the original Nissan reprogramed EMS.
One of the great things using Cane fuel in the Nissan is the amount of Ignition advance
and leaning the mixture right off with no chance of detonation, also the lower cost of Cane fuel.

So, why cannot a basic upgrade not be applicable to the Volvo ? There must be a Computor wizz who has got into the Bosch EMS and is able to re-program it. !!

Look forward to interesting replies.
Thanks,
Les.

There are many many people on these boards running E85 in their Volvo's. The biggest problem you'll face is finding their setups using the lousy search feature that can't search for 3 letter words ("E85" being just such a 3-letter word). My recommendation is to use Google to search Turbobricks by just adding "turbobricks.com" at the beginning of your Google search then refine your search by adding more specific terms until you find some people running similar setups to yours.

I running it in my 16V turbo. Big injectors and Megasquirt - I'm using the nitrous table switching to have a dash switch swap the fuel/spark/boost tables when i switch between gas and E85. Works great. 105 octane (at least) fuel, at roughly price equality with regular gas (cheaper, but you use more), available at local gas station pumps. it's win.

I'm not so sure the ignition advance is really an advantage of E85, so much as just a requirement. Other than the ignition issue, which might be tough to deal with on LH2.4 outside of a re-mapped chip, getting it to run acceptably on E85 is just a matter of swapping in roughly 25% larger injectors. To get the physical injector flow into the correct ballpark fo the new fuel, so that the ECU can fine tune it from there with the O2 sensor readings. Actual AFR's are a lot different, but the O2 sensor jsut reads the Lambda value - the amount of remaining O2, in the exhaust, and it can steer the mixture toward stochiometric regardless. It's just that the ECU will trim to the limit, then set a CEL when that fails, without larger injectors.

Last edited:
I running it in my 16V turbo. Big injectors and Megasquirt - I'm using the nitrous table switching to have a dash switch swap the fuel/spark/boost tables when i switch between gas and E85. Works great. 105 octane (at least) fuel, at roughly price equality with regular gas (cheaper, but you use more), available at local gas station pumps. it's win.

I'm not so sure the ignition advance is really an advantage of E85, so much as just a requirement. Other than the ignition issue, which might be tough to deal with on LH2.4 outside of a re-mapped chip, getting it to run acceptably on E85 is just a matter of swapping in roughly 25% larger injectors. To get the physical injector flow into the correct ballpark fo the new fuel, so that the ECU can fine tune it from there with the O2 sensor readings. Actual AFR's are a lot different, but the O2 sensor jsut reads the Lambda value - the amount of remaining O2, in the exhaust, and it can steer the mixture toward stochiometric regardless. It's just that the ECU will trim to the limit, then set a CEL when that fails, without larger injectors.
Yeah, there's a guy on VolvoSpeed (I think he's on here too) who runs his 855 on E85. He's got 1200cc/min. injectors IIRC. MS2/Extra is what he's running for EMS.

You can flash the Bosch ECU, it's been done before; but if you're out to make power (why else would you run E85?); running a standalone would make the most sense to me.

I plan on running E85 as soon as some place in my area starts selling it. :rant:

I'm not so sure the ignition advance is really an advantage of E85, so much as just a requirement.

Certainly not a requirement. Many of the first generation FFV's didn't trim ignition timing much, if any. The only advantage you gain from advancing ignition timing is if you were knock limited on pump gas. MBT isn't THAT much different between gasoline and E85.

Back