• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C S90 1998 transmission problems

240Psycho

still trying
The car is a 1998 volvo S90 sedan automatic with 179k. At slow speeds and little throttle, it feels like the transmission is going from first to third then back to second. When at WOT the transmission shifts fine. It was only intermitent, but now it seems to be a constant problem.

What should I be looking at? Any help appreciated.

The gearbox switch is the classic on those. They're always shot and lots of cars have had the bulb removed from the warning light so the new owner fails to notice the box is in limp mode.

The gearbox switch is the classic on those. They're always shot and lots of cars have had the bulb removed from the warning light so the new owner fails to notice the box is in limp mode.

Is this the Park neutral switch located on the transmission? I think FCP sells them for about $75. My mom has owned the car since 2004 and it has never had any transmission problems before.

Yes, it's the PNP switch, normally it's accompanied by the transmission warning light coming on. That light should cycle on and off when the ignition is switched on.

I had the limp mode problem in my 850 and used that gear-shifter rowing trick. Took a few tries, and it went away. Just replacing the stupid thing is a better way to go, but if you're looking to buy time until you can do it, give it a shot. Not really sure if it was that or just coincidental, but I had the 850 for another 3 years and never saw the issue again.

s90 transmission

i have exact the same problem please let me know how you fixed yours if you already did. Thank you

wow, how timely :uh:

Published on Mar 2, 2014

Hi Robert,

This is the best video about changing and repairing the PNP switch on a V850 automatic I've seen to date.

Regards from two Danish electronic engineers (me and my wife) with at couple of old Volvo's in the driveway.
------

Nothing but the finest, for TBrickers

can you pull codes from the trans computer?

Not with a normal OBII scanner you can't. Have to have a scanner with the 1997-2000 Volvo software pac installed and good luck finding one ( ask me how I know this :wtf::roll:). OBD II only reads codes that are mostly engine management and Emission related. Pre OBD II systems will read trans codes through the blink reader with no issues but post OBDII WON'T unless you have the full software!! REAL PITA when you have a trans code pulling on these year Volvo's!

Back