home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 11-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
Avtovaz
Board Member

Default anti freeze plugs b230 engine

ive got a b230a engine, its just been rebuilt by someone, one of the things they asked for was 9 large core plugs. He has installed them incorectly, so i need to replace them all.

Is there 8 in teh block and he has used 1 to black off the dizzy drive in the back of the head, or is there a core plug behind the flywheel or something?

I just need to know if i need to take the engine out or not to fix it. its the dished type of plugs

thanks
Avtovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
hiperfauto
Board Member

There are 8 40mm welch plugs on the early B230 blocks. Later blocks used the same size cup plug. There is another plug in the back of the block but it's not a freeze plug. It's for the intermediate shaft and it's larger than the freeze plugs.

The plug for the head mounted distributor is a rubber covered metal plug.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Avtovaz
Board Member

thanks, so why did he have me buy 9 40mm dished plugs? Incase he messed one up?

So the motor does not need to come out then to get to it? thats really good.

thanks
Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
hiperfauto
Board Member

That's entirely possible. They're easy to mess up.

Correct, the engine won't need to come out unless the intermediate shaft plug was also installed incorrectly.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Avtovaz
Board Member

if the intermediate shaft plug was installed wrong i think it wont fail, he has hit them in the middle with what looks like a 10mm punch type of thing, they must have expanded a little bit the car since the motor was rebuilt has driven about for 5 mins, and also was running in the garage for probably about an hour all in all. Water had got pressureised , but it was when it got super hot on the rollers today one popped. I dont think there is any such pressure on the one for the shaft, but will have a feel of it and see what its like. He maybe even machined a plug as he has for where the dizzy in the block sat.

thanks!
Old 11-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
hiperfauto
Board Member

How much power does your engine make? Highly stressed engines have been know to flex enough to spit the freeze plugs. DeeWorks makes a retainer kit to hold them in if that's the case.

The dizzy hole in the block can be plugged with a cup type freeze plug from a later B230. The original shallow plug is NLA.

I use a deep socket to install the freeze plugs. This is what the look like from the factory. You don't want to knock the center in too far.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
Avtovaz
Board Member

well , the million pound question on the power, its b230a, 298 deg cam, 11.5 lift, 46-38 valves, ported 530, solid lifters, 11:1 compression, otherwise all new rings bearings etc, but with lh2.4 inlet using bmw m44b19 ecu. engine is in a e36 compact with a is200 6 speed. Power i dont know as yet, i cant change the inlet at all as that is part of the rules for the road rally class my car is in.

So its not highly stressed, so i dont think the after market retainers will be needed.

thanks for the pic that helps a lot, i ve just watched a vid, on youtube this one and the way he removes them looks like the way they have been installed!

thankyou very much for the help! really appreciated!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
Dicktater
Cretin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
There are 8 40mm welch plugs on the early B230 blocks. Later blocks used the same size cup plug. There is another plug in the back of the block but it's not a freeze plug. It's for the intermediate shaft and it's larger than the freeze plugs.

The plug for the head mounted distributor is a rubber covered metal plug.
You should be a moderator here, You and a few others are such a great asset here! ......thanks for the great info you take the time to share!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMeatWagon View Post
I hope your treehouse gets cancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I buy a few when foodstamps get here because I have an investment strategy.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo740b234/531 View Post
I smoke my weed and dream of an awesome life
Feedback >http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=197700
Dicktater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Off topic but can you stick a heater into one of them holes? It would be great in a very cold climate. Thanks
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtovaz View Post
well , the million pound question on the power, its b230a, 298 deg cam, 11.5 lift, 46-38 valves, ported 530, solid lifters, 11:1 compression, otherwise all new rings bearings etc, but with lh2.4 inlet using bmw m44b19 ecu. engine is in a e36 compact with a is200 6 speed. Power i dont know as yet, i cant change the inlet at all as that is part of the rules for the road rally class my car is in.

So its not highly stressed, so i dont think the after market retainers will be needed.

thanks for the pic that helps a lot, i ve just watched a vid, on youtube this one and the way he removes them looks like the way they have been installed!

thankyou very much for the help! really appreciated!
How many RPM are you turning? Does it have an underdrive pulley?
'92 245 - For Sale?
'97 854R - Waiting to get fixed
'06 XC90 V8 - Family Hauler - Wifemobile
'04 XC70 - Impulse buy of the year
Feedback:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ght=dmfwallace
DMFWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
sbabbs
Board Member

I was gonna say the freeze plugs that popped out where from excessive water pressure is what was thought I thought anyway. Like what happened to Kenny. Flexing of the motor and they pop? Where is the evidence of that?
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
DMFWallace
Ignoramus Bigotus

I'd definitely spring for retainers, cheap insurance. From your specs it sounds like you're wanting to turn ~7500rpm and I'd at the very least do a smaller crank pulley/vib damper and the larger of the B230 WP pulleys to keep the water pressure down. Also, this may or may not be true, but some aftermarket WPs have a stamped steel blade style impeller as opposed to the OEM style round cast impeller. I always make sure to get the ones with the OEM style cast impeller. HEPU makes good OEM quality replacement WPs.
DMFWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
hiperfauto
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktater View Post
You should be a moderator here, You and a few others are such a great asset here! ......thanks for the great info you take the time to share!
Nah, I don't think I'd make a good moderator. I'd be inclined to swing the ban hammer indiscriminately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Gwynne View Post
Off topic but can you stick a heater into one of them holes? It would be great in a very cold climate. Thanks
Like this?

http://www.240.se/litteratur/8-87-16.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
I was gonna say the freeze plugs that popped out where from excessive water pressure is what was thought I thought anyway. Like what happened to Kenny. Flexing of the motor and they pop? Where is the evidence of that?
Well, the radiator cap should relive any excess pressure so that's probably not the cause. It may not be flexing of the block but a combination of vibration/harmonics and cavitation from the water pump spinning too fast that causes the plugs to pop out. Whatever the cause, it's a known issue on highly stressed redblocks.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
Avtovaz
Board Member

well, i want it to do 7,000 revs, no more, that is because at those revs itll be ultra reliable hopefully, its above there that things vibrate and shake loose. Pulleys wise, volvo water pump driven of the >back< [so turns the wrong way] of a cerpantine belt, bmw m52 bottom pulley, bmw sized pulley for the volvo alti, bmw ps pump and pulley...Not got any pics, ill take some at the weekend.

oh the rad is bmw m3 ally type, and vw lupo rez bottle.

Any idea s on the power anyone please? thanks
Old 11-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
sbabbs
Board Member

Reminds me I gotta do the water pump on my 90 745, weeping from the weep hole. I just used the bigger water pump pulley and Dale's under drive crank pulley and revved to 7.5k and beyond! LH 2.4 no rev limit mod..

Watch the tach go beyond it's limits..

This one still trying to figure out how high I revved!

sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #16
planetman
Board Member

He ain't kidding!! He's already threatening to have me banned if he was a mod, and I'm his brother!!

Mods, is there some rule against bans against family members?

Quote:
Nah, I don't think I'd make a good moderator. I'd be inclined to swing the ban hammer indiscriminately.
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #17
Fred Gwynne
Board Member

Quote:
Yup. Thanks
Fred Gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #18
Dicktater
Cretin

Quote:

Like I said, you alone could make Turbobricks great again......
Dicktater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #19
Avtovaz
Board Member

whats the best too to use to [put them in with, ill be doing it this weekend you see, want to make sure i give myself a good chance, and also i need a big hammer or will tehy go with a little tap?

thanks
Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #20
miguels244
I can automate that.

They are core plugs dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
But at the very least, when your rhetoric matches up so neatly with the actions of a deeply deranged individual, it should give you some reason to rethink what you're saying, and how you're saying it.
As gun owner and firearms enthusiast, I will not sacrifice our sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, friends and lovers on the bloody Altar the NRA has built.
It's time to sane up.
miguels244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
Avtovaz
Board Member

i call them core plugs, you lot call them all different names LOL! I was trying to fit in.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #22
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Yes they are correctly called core plugs in English.

Do you know what water pump you have fitted. If its a blade type it would be worth chaning for a cast one. Did you have a underdrive pulley on your parts list. I can't remember exactly what you had now

classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #23
Avtovaz
Board Member

its a cash impeller, straight vein, i know that for a fact as its on my table next to me now! Its being driven backwards off the serpentine belt. Ive asked about and as long as its straight vein it can run either way.

My stat looks like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Penta-M.../dp/B007I904XE

its a b230 a i am now thinking is that the wrong one and that is why the motor shat the core plugs out.

I remember seeing the header jsut before it blew, it was filling up, pressurising i think now, i wonder if that is the wrong stat for the motor?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
hiperfauto
Board Member

That's the wrong t'stat. It should look like this.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
Avtovaz
Board Member

i wonder what that could do to the motor? I mean it shat it s core plugs, wonder if it just pressurised, or hadnt bled properly, and then thats why they blew out.