• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Duder (CFlo's) Pea Green 1975 245 DL - Survivor Wagon

75 b20 breaker less is vacuum retard

Never go full retard? Thanks for the info.

car is looking great

I have the same MIG clock

Right on man, I'm going to install this one in my '66 VW when I turn it into a vintage rally mobile.

:nod:

Or hook it with a bicycle spoke end.

Good idea although I have much more welding rod sitting around vs. bicycle spokes...

You don't need to make a special trip, just bring back the tools when you're done. They're duplicates so I won't miss them if you keep them a while longer.

Thanks Ian, I appreciate it as always. Will do the valve spring this weekend and get the tools back to you next week. It appears I also need a gasket for this M41, the one between the gearbox and the overdrive housing - do you have those available? It's leaking like an Anglo-Swedish sieve.

245's rock.

Indeed!

Still Ain't A Saab!

Yeah but it got you to join a Volvo forum in order to post that - so ha!

Thanks Ian, I appreciate it as always. Will do the valve spring this weekend and get the tools back to you next week. It appears I also need a gasket for this M41, the one between the gearbox and the overdrive housing - do you have those available? It's leaking like an Anglo-Swedish sieve.

Yeah, I have all the gaskets and seals for M40/M41 in stock.

Clean the trans and OD real good and check for other sources for the leaks. Don't forget to check the shifter bushings, especially the forward one. If it's worn, oil will leak all over the top of the OD.

Thanks for the tips! I did find that same picture in an earlier thread you'd posted in, and compared to what I was seeing. Below is my engine. I think it's off by one tooth in the clockwise direction, which correlates with the 2-wire connector ramming the block with the distributor turned clockwise to get it advanced as far as possible.

I'll try your methods for gear removal sometime in the next few days. I haven't had a chance to replace my broken valve spring yet but I could drop by your shop tomorrow to return the cam gear tools.

FlRLLuvh.jpg

Another thing is that slot is offset to one side if you notice it. So it has to be on the right side also. I don't think it will drop in. I forgot about that spring till you mentioned it.

Yeah, I have all the gaskets and seals for M40/M41 in stock.

Clean the trans and OD real good and check for other sources for the leaks. Don't forget to check the shifter bushings, especially the forward one. If it's worn, oil will leak all over the top of the OD.

Cool, will do. I'll get your tools back in a few days, as soon as I can.

Another thing is that slot is offset to one side if you notice it. So it has to be on the right side also. I don't think it will drop in. I forgot about that spring till you mentioned it.

Yeah, I noticed that after finding one of Ian's earlier posts. Still need to try popping the gear out and re-clocking. This thing has been running great though!

I got a nice redwood packed stick of front door trim from none other than Kenwood Chair himself, ordered some OE trim clips from Tasca, and finally got around to installing them today.

BNsgbkXh.jpg

Trim clips have a little nubbin that spreads the back side of the plug. However, they are injection molded as one piece. It helps greatly to get the nubbin started before installing the clip, then whack it fully home once the clip is set into the sheetmetal. Otherwise, the nubbin can get cockeyed and fail to fully seat.

avVsYcxh.jpg

New clips installed after pushing the remnants of the old ones through the door.

7gEYT7dh.jpg

Takes a good amount of force to pop the trim on; helps to get the top edge seated first, then bop the bottom edge with the heel of your palm.

2HAvOUSh.jpg

Christmas in So-Cal...the high is 55 degrees here today. People have parkas on. :roll:

LX8TURbh.jpg

6OX84Nnh.jpg

Yesterday was colder. Real, wet, watery rain fell from the sky.

fB2NGtWh.jpg

Many years ago I purchased the same color Volvo but a 242 model at a police auction for my sister. Great car, cost me all of $225 and all it needed was a fuel pump relay that I had in my car. She drove that thing for about 5 years after before she started having a few issues with it. At the time i didn't have a place to keep so it was donated to a charity. Although it wasn't mine I and she still miss it.

This car is so freaking cool!

I know right? Thanks!

Many years ago I purchased the same color Volvo but a 242 model at a police auction for my sister. Great car, cost me all of $225 and all it needed was a fuel pump relay that I had in my car. She drove that thing for about 5 years after before she started having a few issues with it. At the time i didn't have a place to keep so it was donated to a charity. Although it wasn't mine I and she still miss it.

A 242 in this color would be rad. I think I've only ever seen one. Too bad we can't keep them all...

Over the past few weeks I've been driving the 245 and doing a few things with it here and there.

First up was finding this original 1975 service manual on ebay. I snagged it because I figured the '75 had enough unique features that it would be worth having around. I prefer one big book to a binder full of smaller green books, and this thing has everything in it I should need to keep the car maintained and running right.

0cdMgVch.jpg

nAeH7Ufh.jpg

Next was replacing the broken spring on the #1 intake valve. Luckily it cracked near the top and only in one location, so nothing else was damaged and the valve wasn't floating much if at all. This was a quick one once I found the right shop air adapter for the spark plug hole. After that I adjusted all the valves to 0.020 inch; only a few of them needed to be opened up actually.

TmbLaUEh.jpg

cJleIEAh.jpg

meQEprHh.jpg

Then a few days ago I managed to remove and re-clock the distributor drive gear. It was stuck pretty well but wrapping some thin welding rod around the gear and yanking up with pliers did the trick. Initially I didn't realize that it also drives the oil pump and therefore has to slot into that whilst simultaneously lining twisting into the helical drive gear on the camshaft, and ending up in the right position. It took me an hour or so of iteration to get this right. A long flatblade screwdriver was helpful to orient the oil pump drive. Now that it's done I am able to set the ignition timing correctly without the distributor wiring harness getting mashed up against the block. Small wins.

cE5tCePh.jpg

Had to share my shop with these yahoos for the day. I don't know why they haven't given up on this silly Miata and started running a Volvo or BMW yet. I mean, it's not like they just won the national Lemons championship with it...oh wait, they did, nevermind.

z53gR5xh.jpg

Lastly (but not in chronological order) is a nice score for the 245 project. When I picked up the wagon from Luke, I also bought a very nice upper dash pad from him, which has only one crack that was filled in. It's significantly better than the toasted original dash in the car.

3grUrryh.jpg

However, of course as soon as I got back to LA I remembered there was a super clean crack-free '75 dash, complete, being sold by Loohan here on the boards. So over the break between Christmas and New Years I drove out to Whittier to pick it up. Loohan's '75 is another wagon and an ambitious project. He threw in some extras with the dash like a silly old aftermarket AM/FM/cassette deck with a mounting plate for the lower location. Not sure if I'll use that yet but at least it wouldn't look terribly out of place like the hacked in headunit that's in the car now. Dash should be a fun upgrade project either way. Need to get a clock though!

Ks7DSV5h.jpg

hYqf4ELh.jpg

WijX0F1h.jpg

Before leaving Whittier I remembered that the Hill Valley High School scenes in Back to the Future were filmed there. So I drove the five minutes down to Whittier Union HS and found some of the original shooting locations. Cool to see these still look pretty much the same as they did in 1985, er, uh... I mean 1955.

Front of the main building from the school (watch out for Strickland around here):

bgxx4mzh.jpg

Side quad that they used as the parking lot for the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance. You can see the staircase where Biff was looking at "Oh La La" which was disguised in the dust jacket from Gray's Sports Almanac:

GRiwnQuh.jpg

"Parking lot" where Marty drove Lorraine in behind the wheel of Doc's Packard convertible:

CH61puqh.jpg

Scene of George McFly's punch delivered squarely to Biff's jaw for the knockout.

x5N6nuWh.jpg

Cool, will do. I'll get your tools back in a few days, as soon as I can.

Yeah, I noticed that after finding one of Ian's earlier posts. Still need to try popping the gear out and re-clocking. This thing has been running great though!

I got a nice redwood packed stick of front door trim from none other than Kenwood Chair himself, ordered some OE trim clips from Tasca, and finally got around to installing them today.

BNsgbkXh.jpg

Takes a good amount of force to pop the trim on; helps to get the top edge seated first, then bop the bottom edge with the heel of your palm.

2HAvOUSh.jpg

:nod:

Looking good.

Palm of the hand is correct but it's supposed to be a downward blow from the top and it'll go on much easier.

I like to use a rubber mallet to gently whack stubborn trim in place. Looks excellent! Hope to see it in person someday.

Good tips guys. I'll remember those for next time.

Hey, if my neverending story 242 project car doesn't run soon, I may have to drive this wagon up to Davis!

So Davis is happening for you after all?

Yes, for sure. Will be there either way. Even if we have to drive the V60. But the 242 will be running for this year; it hath been proclaimed.

Hey man are you interested in buying back that dash pad? You may have noticed on the previous page I scored a complete dash so now I have redundant pads. :-D

I could haul it back up to Davis if you want!

However, of course as soon as I got back to LA I remembered there was a super clean crack-free '75 dash, complete, being sold by Loohan here on the boards. So over the break between Christmas and New Years I drove out to Whittier to pick it up. Loohan's '75 is another wagon and an ambitious project. He threw in some extras with the dash like a silly old aftermarket AM/FM/cassette deck with a mounting plate for the lower location. Not sure if I'll use that yet but at least it wouldn't look terribly out of place like the hacked in headunit that's in the car now. Dash should be a fun upgrade project either way. Need to get a clock though!

Here you go (not mine):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-140-1...ash=item2ef98bb619:g:VRYAAOSwux5YWNEC&vxp=mtr

Back