• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1994 940 whiteblock/m90 swap

Nerddage

Hello,

Which white block should I plop into my 940 with an m90? I live in Colorado and I am looking for a motor/ecu combo that wouldn't be murder to wire in(I know it is going to be a pain) and will be accepting to further upgrades down the road.

I have been lurking on the forums/PMing people and most the people who have done this swap are overseas and have access to certain cars that I have issues accessing/affording(and i wanted an NA setup which I have since abandoned). So my brain is overloaded with info. I am just trying to find the most feasible swap for my needs.

I wanted to work on this car for years and I am finally reaching a point in my life where I have the space and time to finally stop planning and start doing. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Why a does it have to be a whiteblock? Are your goals impossible to reach with a
redblock?

On this site people give the redblock not nearly enough credit. Take a look on savarturbo to see what a low budget redblock can really do.

Also keep in mind there are 2 M90 versions. One redblock and one whiteblock version. Not interchangable.

I have the whiteblock m90 with the associated parts. I have nothing against redblocks by any means. I just grew up driving a whiteblock (my brother got the redblock).

I have the whiteblock m90 with the associated parts. I have nothing against redblocks by any means. I just grew up driving a whiteblock (my brother got the redblock).

Ok then if you're going to put a turbo on it with some serious boost find either a 2.3L five cylinder or a B6284t from a 1999 or later S80 depending if you want the dual or single VVT. The 81 mm bores are stronger. You'll have to think about a set of stronger rods if you want to go to a high HP setup.

The B5244T also comes highly recommended..... 81mm bore as mentioned above. Search for posts by Johann "The Man"......

The B5244T also comes highly recommended..... 81mm bore as mentioned above. Search for posts by Johann "The Man"......

B5244T5 from -06 T5 models to be precise. 81mm bore and 93.2 stroke, low weight crank and coated pistons. And dual VVT.

Awesome, Thank you all very much.

Would it be feasible to just take the ecu/associated parts from the donor b5244t? Or would a specific year be the best splice? Or should i just say screwit and do an aftermarket ecu.

Thanks again!

Awesome, Thank you all very much.

Would it be feasible to just take the ecu/associated parts from the donor b5244t? Or would a specific year be the best splice? Or should i just say screwit and do an aftermarket ecu.

Thanks again!

I'd go aftermarket all day if i could. But if you choose the stock ECU up to 1995 850's does not have a immobilizer.

If you have the choice I don't know why would anyone go for the 5 cylinder 81 mm bore engine instead of the 6 pots variant. You can get the same hp output with less stress on the engine, you don't have to modify the oil pan and I don't think that the weight difference is relevant.

Okay, now i know what to keep an eye out for on the classifieds/junkyards. Thanks again for the info. Hopefully ill have all the parts and be able to get started soon!

Okay, now i know what to keep an eye out for on the classifieds/junkyards. Thanks again for the info. Hopefully ill have all the parts and be able to get started soon!

The twin turbo S80 isn't that rare so you can easily find a B6284t if you search a little.

I am finding donor cars without too many miles. I just need to wait for the right time(I am in the middle of moving, so i will soon have available space for the project). Will it be possible to wire a b6284t/ecu to a 940 cluster without too much issue? That is one of my main concerns. I can turn wrenches all day, my soldering skills are lacking.

Speedo, tach, temp etc. are unrelated to the ecu. However you will probably need to convert your tach signal, as you will have 2 more cylinders = more pulses.

good info, the only other car I have done major wiring on was a 1967 vw beetle... so this is going to be a learning experience.

Speedo, tach, temp etc. are unrelated to the ecu. However you will probably need to convert your tach signal, as you will have 2 more cylinders = more pulses.

Will the 960 cluster work in a 940.

The t5 ecu output to the tach as a 4 cylinder signal surprisingly, it’s possible the stock ecu for the b6284 might too (doubtful but maybe).

Back