• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 New to this stuff

that_dude

I recently bought a 940 Turbo from a friend of mine because he was tired of messing with it. This is my first Volvo, and I didn't pay a lot ($100) and I would love to get this thing rolling again. My main problem is the transmission. It will work for about a minute then the car will not move at all. The fluid is black and burnt smelling and I have seen a lot of stuff about flushing the trans and that being the solution to a lot of problems. I am hoping that is all it is, but any help you all can offer me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You can try a flush, filter change, and Lucas Stop Leak before replacing it. If you plan on making the car faster and/or Make the trans last longer, shimming the accumulators is pretty much a must too.

Nice looking wagon. Good luck getting it back to where it needs to be mechanically.

These transmissions stand up to a lot of miles but can be worn out. A fluid change is a relatively inexpensive investment but not really likely to 'fix' the transmission. Maybe not 'relatively inexpensive' compared to what you paid for the car.

You do not identify if the car is eaten up with rust but if not could be inexpensively brought back to life.

My Volvo 240 wagon had a similar problem last fall. The automatic transmission started to wear internally and aluminum shavings clogged up the filter inside the transmission pan. I took off the pan, installed a new filter screen, and put in new fluid and it ran for another couple of months until more wear happened and more aluminum shavings clogged up the filter again. The solution was to install a used transmission.

My Volvo 240 wagon had a similar problem last fall. The automatic transmission started to wear internally and aluminum shavings clogged up the filter inside the transmission pan. I took off the pan, installed a new filter screen, and put in new fluid and it ran for another couple of months until more wear happened and more aluminum shavings clogged up the filter again. The solution was to install a used transmission.

^^^^
This.
Be sure to flush out your lines and everything else with fresh fluid before you hook up your "new" transmission, or you'll be introducing a quart of what killed your last transmission right back into your "new" one.:omg::nod:

Hey that dude! You stole that car . save yourself some time and trouble and go snag a junkyard tranny for cheap. Replace the trans mount and shifter bushings and never look back.

Tranny, new mount and shifter bushings can be had for less than $200 Then you have $300 bucks total in a decent looking 940.

If the fluid is black and your tranny no workie I would say it needs more than a flush if you want to drive it. Where you live?

If you are lucky enough that the fluid just wore out instead of the trans it could be a easy fix as my s90 was.

What I would do is drop the pan and inspect the filter and magnets.

Then I would clean the the pan and change the fluid.

At this point re install the pan with a new filter and perform the flush and put a bottle of lucas trans fix.

If you are lucky the car will drive.

If it makes it to 500 miles on that fluid I would pull the pan again inspect it for more metal etc.

If the filter is clear flush the trans again and add another bottle of lucas.

At that point if its shifting fine I would say you got lucky.

I did this to a s90 with very badly wore out trans fluid and I've put over 10k miles at this point on that trans.

*you can use this kit to make flushing the trans a little easier.
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4809/105310-automatic-transmission-flush-kit

Last edited:
Hey that dude! You stole that car . save yourself some time and trouble and go snag a junkyard tranny for cheap. Replace the trans mount and shifter bushings and never look back.

Tranny, new mount and shifter bushings can be had for less than $200 Then you have $300 bucks total in a decent looking 940.

If the fluid is black and your tranny no workie I would say it needs more than a flush if you want to drive it. Where you live?

I'm in Chattanooga, TN. I am going to look for a used trans locally. I could probably triple my investment for scrap but I just can't do it haha.

Hey you're that dude right? Even if the transmission is shot used aw71s are cheap on ebay and easy enough to install. That's a nice looking car, hope it works out for you.

Back