• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

new starter, wont turnover

teejsauce

So a week ago I turned my key in my 90 240 and nothing happened, I bump started it to get home, got home, turned the key and it slowly turned twice then stopped, like my battery was dead, I bump started it again, got home, turned it off then turned the key and it started right up twice in a row, waited an hour, then nothing.

I got my battery tested and it was fine so I got my starter tested and it was bad, so I bought a new one from autozone, installed it and it still wont do anything. I cleaned the ends of both the red wires going to it with a wire brush, tried the blue/yellow wire on all 3 connections and still nothing.

pretty sure theres power to it because when I went to disconnect the cables and forgot to disconnect the battery and it sparked when my wrench touched it (oops)

any ideas on where to look next/what could be wrong?

Ignition switch perhaps. Can you jump the solenoid and get the starter to spin over? Could also be the new starter is junk. I've seen plenty of reman's that were bad out of the box from a few different retailers.

Ignition switch perhaps. Can you jump the solenoid and get the starter to spin over? Could also be the new starter is junk. I've seen plenty of reman's that were bad out of the box from a few different retailers.

I dont think its the ignition switch because if that was bad I wouldnt be able to bump start my car would I? also how do I jump the starter?

Where the blue/yellow wire attaches to the spade terminal on the starter... Give that 12v and see if it turns over.

Or measure the voltage of the wire when the key is turned to the start position.
Btw, power to the starter is 12v straight from the battery. Nothing to do with the switch. That's why it sparked when you shorted it out with a wrench.

Is the block well grounded? I have seen bad negative battery cables cause all sorts of problems, including no crank.

I'll try jumping the starter when I get home, I've replaced my ground cable before, everything else on the car works like normal, and it runs and drives fine if I bump start it.

ok, so I jumped my starter with a screwdriver and my car started!! so Im guessing its the ignition switch... which is kind of weird seeing as my old starter was definitely bad (autozone tested it twice) so both died at the same time.

oh and this all started after I fixed my broken clutch cable on the side of the road. #volvoprobz amIright?

Can I use the switch from my '80 GT? or does it need to be from a later model?

ok this might be what I do. any one have any suggestions on where to get the power from? Im not that good at wiring stuff yet

That switch will work, but it might not stand up to the vibrations. If you pull the drivers side kick panel you will have access to the spade terminals on the fuse panel. Pull power from one that gets power when the key is in the "run" position.

its a manual car so no neutral safety switch.

what do you mean it wouldnt stand up to the vibrations? what kind of switch would be better?

Or just put a relay in. If you are getting a low current signal to the starter but the switch or wiring can't handle the current, a relay may work for you. It's been coming up more and more on this issue. Dig around on here for my no crank when hot thread...

I used a spare sunroof switch as a starter button in my 740, momentary on, high quality OEM switch fits in dash. Also freaks people out when you start the car with it

Back