• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2005 xc70 front end issue

turbopop23

I was hoping someone could help me out with this. My 2005 xc70 has recently had new control arm bushings new front coil springs and new struts put in. The alignment has been done twice, but still I have this issue. Ever since they did the front end, the steering is very loose. If you turn the wheel sharp when going into a parking place, its almost like the wheel takes off by itself half way into the turn. The car feels extremely loose on the highway to, sometimes following cracks in the pavement if your not holding on to the wheel firmly. I have had it back to the shop numerous times, originally the struts were the wrong ones and were too long, so they redid the front end again, at no charge of course. The shop I use is a good honest shop, but they can't find anything wrong. Balljoints and tierods are all good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my wifes car and I hear about it alot. Thanks

What do your alignment specs look like? This sounds like either a toe or camber issue and you just aren't used to the alignment changes they made.

Do you have your before and after numbers?

What do your alignment specs look like? This sounds like either a toe or camber issue and you just aren't used to the alignment changes they made.

Do you have your before and after numbers?

x2, a different alignment spec can make it feel like a completely different car.

Do you think it would be wise to bring it to a Volvo dealership to get it aligned again? It never handled like this after previous times getting it aligned.

Do you think it would be wise to bring it to a Volvo dealership to get it aligned again? It never handled like this after previous times getting it aligned.

Truthfully no. If you had a shop do an alignment and it doesn't feel good to you that doesn't mean it's wrong, it just means you both aren't speaking the same language.

Taking it to Volvo will just be expensive. I would either go back to the shop and tell them what you're feeling and ask if they can tune it out for you (fair warning... they might not know stuff about alignments) for not much money OR... what I do is I get the Firestone lifetime alignments on all my cars. This is also because I know about the geometries and change stuff often enough that I don't want to pay every time. So I can just go in, tell them I need another degree of camber on this side, and roll out (it's a poor mans racing alignment because they sure as hell aren't corner weighting or any of that... and lord knows how accurate their equipment really is)

BUT... they'll give you the printouts and if you tell them your issue and they CAN'T tune it out... if you can get the numbers from them (or anyone) and post them here... we can plausibly suggest changes. But we need some reference.

Could it just be how it should be now? You know, you were running on bagged out crap for how long? All of a sudden its new and back to how it should be?

Truthfully no. If you had a shop do an alignment and it doesn't feel good to you that doesn't mean it's wrong, it just means you both aren't speaking the same language.

Taking it to Volvo will just be expensive.

My local dealer charges about $70 for a four wheel alignment... same as the tire store chains. Volvo frequently sends out coupons for those types of basic service.

I'd be weary of the fact they put in the wrong struts myself. Are you sure no other mistakes were made?

Back