home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-16-2020, 03:26 AM   #1
Jonesyboi

Default Low beams on when light switch on park (Volvo 740)

Hi. I've got myself a -87 GLE imported from Soviet Union of all places and i am unable to use the park lights only.
-When switch is on "0", everything is off like it should be.

-When on park setting, parks light up and low beam as well, but cannot engage high beam (all good except the low beam turns on also)

-And when i turn the switch all the way, everything is the same as with the park setting, but i am able to turn on high beam

Is my model fitted with some type of daytime running lights? I want to get rid of them haha. Any ideas?
Jonesyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:24 AM   #2
iamrolling
Board Member

If it is DRL, it's an easy one to solve. Some of the switches will have a switch that you can rotate with a screwdriver to disable DRL. Otherwise, you can throw a known non-DRL light switch at it.

WARNING: I am not a professional mechanic, and you should only base your repair decisions on my advice if I'm not corrected by someone who has worked on more than a few Volvos.
iamrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #3
142 guy
Board Member

I had a 1987 745 T with DRLs (Canadian market). I always left the headlight switch in the on position and the headlights and tail lights would switch on and off with the ignition switch. Turning the headlight switch to off turns everything off. As I recall, the headlights do not come on in the Park position. The fact that your high beam does not work in the Headlight position suggests a problem with the high beam circuit. Will the high beams flash when you pull back on the turn signal switch? If not, the high beam switch may have failed or the latching headlight relay may have failed. The fact that your low beams come on in the Park position also suggests that there might be a problem with the headlight switch or the wiring.

Of course, this presumes that the Soviet market 740 is wired like a Canadian market DRL system.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
lummert
Board Member

Does the 740 have a headlight relay similar to what is used on the 88-90 760 and the 960? Perhaps there's a different relay for US models that can be swapped in.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:19 AM   #5
Jonesyboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 guy View Post
I had a 1987 745 T with DRLs (Canadian market). I always left the headlight switch in the on position and the headlights and tail lights would switch on and off with the ignition switch. Turning the headlight switch to off turns everything off. As I recall, the headlights do not come on in the Park position. The fact that your high beam does not work in the Headlight position suggests a problem with the high beam circuit. Will the high beams flash when you pull back on the turn signal switch? If not, the high beam switch may have failed or the latching headlight relay may have failed. The fact that your low beams come on in the Park position also suggests that there might be a problem with the headlight switch or the wiring.

Of course, this presumes that the Soviet market 740 is wired like a Canadian market DRL system.
Oh the high beam works like it should, when on headlight position they work just like they should. Only problem is that the low beam turns on when on park position.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:19 AM   #6
Jonesyboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
Does the 740 have a headlight relay similar to what is used on the 88-90 760 and the 960? Perhaps there's a different relay for US models that can be swapped in.
I have tested three different relays, so i think the problem is in the wiring or the switch itself.