home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Default Watertight sunroof?

I found a problem with my 1981 264 sunroof... the water drains as it should but, when I move the car it splashes down into the interior.

Is there a way to water proof the sunroof? Or is my cars supposed to have seals but there are worn out. It's actually a necessity as it rains all winter here on Vancouver Island.
BeaverMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
MasterBlaster
Board Member

Quote:
the water drains as it should
Apparently not.

Quote:
but, when I move the car it splashes down into the interior.
And there you go.

Normally, a car will have a "tray" that everything attaches to, and a drain hose at each corner leading down the roof pillars to dump under the car. The hoses can get plugged over time by tiny leaves mixed with dirt and other random crud. Some people will ram a wire down the drains from above to try to unclog them, some will use compressed air. Over-enthusiastic use of either can dislodge the drain tubes from the tray, or crack them, and lead to water coming into the car, usually in the front pillar area (wet 240 fuse box time) or the rear (trunk or rear footwell fills up). If nobody has ever GENTLY cleared the hopefully still-connected tubes, the tray slowly fills up and dumps the water on your head.

Here's a pretty picture of a 240-series tray....

Quote:
Is there a way to water proof the sunroof?

1990 740GL, now in extra-small economy size.
500,000 km so far...
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know... I'm thinking at least one hole is plugged. Probably the rear ones as the car was on a slant when I was washing it. Once I got to level ground I got soaked.

Time to start up the noisy-ass air compressor and blow them out. I double checked and the hoses are conected

Red Green... classic
Old 09-14-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
Corey
Board Member

All the drains are 100% clear on mine and my sunroof still leaks. Spent a bunch of time years ago trying to get it to work with little success. Something on my list to revisit...

'81 242 turbo
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
All the drains are 100% clear on mine and my sunroof still leaks. Spent a bunch of time years ago trying to get it to work with little success. Something on my list to revisit...
I'm thinking its a common issue with most old sunroofs. They all leak. This one seems to be fine when it sits long enough to drain.

For the winter months I'm going to get some vinyl strips to seal the sunroof. Only problem is removal.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:47 AM   #6
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

^Magnet sign? / do no harm/low calorie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #7
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
^Magnet sign? / do no harm/low calorie?
Not really “water tight”... and they always blow off down the highway.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #8
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

^Never had a problem on a 240/they're not very aerodynamic/lots of swedish steel to stick to.

Water tight enough/won't let much in if it covers enough of the roof.
Not likely to harm a clean roof on removal.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:48 AM   #9
BeaverMeat
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
^Never had a problem on a 240/they're not very aerodynamic/lots of swedish steel to stick to.

Water tight enough/won't let much in if it covers enough of the roof.
Not likely to harm a clean roof on removal.
Good point. I used to work for a sign shop and we always sold extra magnets because people were always loosing them.

Ill have to see how much it will cost.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:18 AM   #10
740atl
educator monkey

My front and rear drains regularly get clogged. I run weed whacker nylon line through the fronts and use a shop vac to blow out the rear from the trunk. Btw the trunk drain tee can look clear but be blocked. It’s been said before but if water comes in the car when you start driving then rest assured one of the drains is clogged. The system is designed to allow water through it from the factory.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

I had the same issue on the 242 Turbo. Drains were 100% clear, yet on hard braking first thing in the morning... water fall all over me!
I sold the car to someone who lives in a desert. Problem solved!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #12
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Lower the headliner and then disconnect each hose and blow out all of them out with regulated shop air. 150 psi can dislodge them. Just because some water is coming out, doesn't mean they aren't partially clogged. If there is still a leak, your sunroof assembly may be the cause of the leak.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
2manyturbos

I've had probably 150 Volvo sunroof cars and only one leaked. Their design works when everything is the way it should be. Oh, and it rains like crazy here in the Willamette Valley.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #14
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

^This is more or less true, though I've had to fix a bunch of sunroofs/dislike them.
No holes in roofs please.

Magnet sign at least 'do no harm' was all I was thinking/done in the past if the customer doesn't want to pay for it?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #15
740atl
educator monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Lower the headliner and then disconnect each hose and blow out all of them out with regulated shop air. 150 psi can dislodge them. Just because some water is coming out, doesn't mean they aren't partially clogged. If there is still a leak, your sunroof assembly may be the cause of the leak.
In my experience lowering the cloth headliner pulls the ring moulding away from where it adjoins the sunroof. Getting the entire headliner back in place without damaging the fragile backer board is in my good estimation, much more trouble than its worth. YMMV.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
Kjets On a Plane
Board Member

^Don't remind me / PTSD.
Used to have to do this for picky PITA volvo customers when the cars were expensive/new when they were owned by upstanding citizens, not dirtbag lowered lowlifes.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #17
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

It's gotta be clogged drains. How hard would it be to sneak in there and pull off the hoses at each corner for a good doucheing?

Is there a common clog point on a 240?

I usually charge 3 hours (but it's on different cars). That gives me enough time to deal with dropping the headlining, blowing out the hoses, clearing the bottoms, reattaching hoses, etc.

Is there some kinda "rubber beak" at the bottom of the hose? I've snipped many of those open to relieve a clog and allow for better flow.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #18
2manyturbos

No. There is no reduction in the hose. It takes a couple of tight turns going through the body in the front of the car. The hose actually exits right in the door jamb. I wouldn't be surprised if the hose is kinked at this point. It really isn't that hard to lower the headliner in a 240 and replace the front hoses if needed. I would definitely avoid lowering the 7-9 series headliner for the reason mentioned above. They like to snap in half right at the sunroof opening.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote