home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #76
vxracer
Board Member

This is great! I recently had the plastic nipple break off and spew coolant till near overheat. Lucky I was going downhill on the highway with an exit at the bottom with a gas station there! So I just cut the motor off.. Then a quick water fill for a 1/4 mile to auto store.

I recommend to everyone to carry a 5/8 x 2" double nipple or even a piece pipe in the trunk for an easy 5 minute hose bypass. Or be stranded. I slapped another unit from a pick n pull back in, but I have the piece I purchased in the trunk with a water and a coolant jug. Till I can sort it put.

This new unit may be the way to go. I'm glad I waited to do this job now!

Nice work! Thanks.
vxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #77
lummert
Board Member

After breaking the valve on my 88 765 w/B230FT while trying to replace the vacuum hose I'm looking into doing this upgrade. Was rerouting of the hoses required? After looking at the pictures and under the hood of my car the hoses on my car look like they're routed slightly different.

At the moment I have installed a plastic pipe to connect the hoses, but, this results in the coolant flowing through the heater core at all times.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #78
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

No rerouting at all, but you will need to cut the other hose to put this valve into place, since it connects in both hoses.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #79
lummert
Board Member

I'm in the process of doing this upgrade. Stretching the hoses onto the valve is a bear. The hoses measure 1/2" I.D. and the nipples on the valve measure 3/4" O.D. I ended up having to put barbed hose connectors (which I already had) in both hoses and drive to NAPA to get some larger hose clamps. The original OE clamps were too small to use with the valve.

I found a nearly new GM valve that was made in Canada on a 90-95 Astro Van at the junkyard. I only had to drive 6 miles out of my way on the drive home from an appointment on Wednesday to stop at my friend's junkyard. Since my wife had the appointment I was able to wear work clothes. She really didn't seem to mind waiting in the car.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #80
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

shouldn't be 1/2" hose on there. stock is 5/8" so the stock ones fit fine. even my silicone stuff worked out without too much hassle.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #81
lummert
Board Member

This morning I got out the digital caliper and measured the OE valve and OE hose I.D. Nipples on OE valve are 16 mm (5/8") and the OE hose is 15.46 mm.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #82
lummert
Board Member

This morning I got this valve installed. One problem, the valve leaks at the flapper shaft lever. But only in the closed position. Turn the heat on and it quits leaking. The valve is in new condition, not even dirty yet.

I looked on some Astro Van forums and learned that several Astro Van owners have been having the same problem. Their solution: remove valve, replace with 2 pipes, and plug vacuum hose.

Looks like I need to put the pipes back in in place of the valve. Too warm outside to drive with the ECC temperature control turned to 85.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #83
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Or just grab a new valve...

Going on 2 years with mine, dry as a bone, but it was new on install.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #84
lummert
Board Member

I found another bypass valve that's temperature controlled instead of vacuum. GM part number is 22657309 (15-5675). Fits:
Chevy Cavalier 99-02
Chevy Malibu 99
Olds Alero 99-01
Pontiac Grand Am 99-01
Pontiac Sunfire 00-02

http://www.autoplicity.com/products/...at_bypass.aspx

Another bypass valve that I found was GM 15688297 (15-50572) fits 90-95 Chevy Astro Van. It's made just like the vacuum controlled valve with the exception of it being temperature controlled (it contains a metal spring and a plunger and no vacuum servo).

I have a temp controlled Bypass valve from a Pontiac Grand Am installed at this time.

Last edited by lummert; 04-13-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #85
barkster1971
Board Member

Is it the same as the four seasons 74607 HVAC heater control valve ( on ebay ).?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #86
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
Is it the same as the four seasons 74607 HVAC heater control valve ( on ebay ).?
74607 is the same as the previously mentioned vacuum operated valve for a 90-95 Chevy Astro Van.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #87
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Only thing with that valve Lummert is there's no vacuum control. The 7/9 series don't control the temp thru that valve, but rather via a blend door setup. The normal HVAC controls provide an on/off to allow or stop coolant thru the core, that's it. How are you planning to control the flow thru that valve to shot off the coolant flow? Just curious.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #88
mafoose
Boost Addict

Sounds like he's using it for the bypass of your valve while retaining the Volvo valve for the heater control, possibly eliminating the failure prone GM part perhaps?

- 84 242 - 92 740 - 72 240z - 78 280z -
mafoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #89
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Only thing with that valve Lummert is there's no vacuum control. The 7/9 series don't control the temp thru that valve, but rather via a blend door setup. The normal HVAC controls provide an on/off to allow or stop coolant thru the core, that's it. How are you planning to control the flow thru that valve to shot off the coolant flow? Just curious.
I've considered this. I'm working on a way to pressure test the valves to check for coolant leakage before installing on car. I have 5 or 6 of the vacuum controlled Chevy Astro Van heater bypass valves. One of them is bound to be leak free.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #90
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoose View Post
Sounds like he's using it for the bypass of your valve while retaining the Volvo valve for the heater control, possibly eliminating the failure prone GM part perhaps?
The pressure controlled bypass valve would be a good idea if I can find room to also fit in a manual shut off valve between the bypass valve and the heater core.

I have a cable operated valve from a 1980 VW Dasher in my stash.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #91
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxracer View Post
This is great! I recently had the plastic nipple break off and spew coolant till near overheat. Lucky I was going downhill on the highway with an exit at the bottom with a gas station there! So I just cut the motor off.. Then a quick water fill for a 1/4 mile to auto store.

I recommend to everyone to carry a 5/8 x 2" double nipple or even a piece pipe in the trunk for an easy 5 minute hose bypass. Or be stranded. I slapped another unit from a pick n pull back in, but I have the piece I purchased in the trunk with a water and a coolant jug. Till I can sort it put.

This new unit may be the way to go. I'm glad I waited to do this job now!

Nice work! Thanks.
The plastic 3/4" barbed (1 angled barb at each end) hose connectors I found on a Chevy Astro Van were 4 inches long.

Last edited by lummert; 04-19-2014 at 11:20 PM..
Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #92
lummert
Board Member

After figuring out how to hook up a vacuum controlled Astro Van heater valve to the water pipe for my shower (minus the shower head) I found that all 4 of the valves in my pile leaked. I then tried the pressure controlled Astro Van heater valve with the VW/Audi cable operated valve installed in place of a heater core. With VW/Audi valve open water flows through the Astro Van valve. VW/Audi valve closed the water by-passes the core.

This arrangement will work fine after getting both valves installed on the car. Just need to install a push/pull control cable for the VW/Audi valve. The same car that donated the valve still has the diesel injection pump advance cable installed. I can try to use that.

VW/Audi heater valve: 171819809E. Available from NAPA for $5.40, used from 1975 to 1993 on VW/Audi cars.

Last edited by lummert; 04-20-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #93
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Just my .02 but it seems like that's more money and work involved than just grabbing new valve, toss it in, and be done with it.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #94
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Just my .02 but it seems like that's more money and work involved than just grabbing new valve, toss it in, and be done with it.
At the moment I'm just experimenting on what works. I have more time than money. I can say that the pressure controlled by-pass valve in line with the VW/Audi heater valve does work. A good Volvo vacuum controlled valve would work good with the pressure controlled by-pass valve.

There is room to run the pressure controlled by-pass valve and the VW/Audi valve in-line with the hose from the head to the heater core. Then the return hose returns through the bypass valve.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #95
lummert
Board Member

The Astro Van heater control valve can be taken apart for repair. It's just an o-ring that needs replacing to fix a leak.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 AM   #96
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Good to know!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #97
lummert
Board Member

Another 4-port heater control bypass valve that's less expensive. Four Seasons brand part number 74777.

Fits:
Jeep Cherokee 91-96
Jeep Comanche 87-92
Jeep Wagoneer 87-87

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-74777
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #98
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Problem with that is it is vacuum modulated, rather than closed with vacuum as the stock one is.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #99
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Problem with that is it is vacuum modulated, rather than closed with vacuum as the stock one is.
I'll check this out. I tested a good used valve with water pressure and a hand operated vacuum pump. The vacuum seemed to do it's thing.

Checked out the valve with the vacuum pump. Takes only 5 inches of mercury to start pulling the valve, 8 inches of mercury and the valve is completely pulled. Between 5 and 8 inches of mercury modulates the valve. No vacuum results in coolant passing through the heater core. Vacuum applied and coolant bypasses the heater core.

Last edited by lummert; 04-24-2014 at 09:54 PM..
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #100
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

So, bad news on the heater valve front. Went to replace the radiator after an end tank started leaking, found a small puddle under the firewall. Seems as though the end tank went and the heater valve went as well. Not a critical failure, just some seepage, and oddly enough, not from the shaft, but rather one of the end caps.

Grabbed a new one from oreallynow, time will tell how it does.