• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH2.2 Tuning For Non-Volvo Installation / X1/9 Dallara + K24 Swap

Thanks for the link to the BINs Nick

Comparison of LH & composite injectors

null_zps138f7a05.jpg

The slot for the retainer in the rail is different offset for all three. I will machine a new groove in the black 16.7lbers to match the LH approx 8.5mm from filter basket tip so that the head is not stressed to fit the spring retaining clip

I heated a razor knife with a propane torch which easily cut new grooves in the tip.

More problems. It never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to use the software on a PC laptop. I have a newer one that runs Win7 and a older one that runs XP. The vendor says that I need a PC desktop. The software doesn't like 64bit environment, also. Being a Mac user since the 90's I know nothing about PC idiosyncrasies. Can't find a DB25M to DB15M cable to go from the programmer to the laptop either. What a cluster****.

IMG_3354_zps59532719.jpg

Last edited:
My willhelm used the old 25pin parrallela printer port and matching cable. It's got way more pins then a 9 pin serial port. Most laptops don't have that big paralela ports anymore at all. I'm pretty sure the new willhem version5 like you have does USB also..

Yeah I've only ever programmed chips with older P4 windows xp machines and I turn printer spooling off with the windows task manager by hitting control alt delete to bring that up.

I'll download that version of the software you are using and take a look at it, but what your problem is, is the software doesn't see the programmer.. Don't worry about the ICSP pins at all.

Can't find a DB25M to DB15M cable to go from the programmer to the laptop either. What a cluster****.

This will never work, that db15m is a monitor port...

To use parellel printer port it's 25 pin to 25 pin cable only, no other ports are that...

9 pin is serial port, that won't work..

15 pin is for a monitor or screen, that won't work.

Now your newer willhelm has USB, try that... But the USB might only supply power for this willhem I'm not sure about that. Read the directions..

One thing is don't give up, it might seem daunting but it's easy once you do one and figure it out.

Go get an old PC P4 or amd designed for and running XP 32 bit and use that for this. Cheap, $20 or so any used place.. Remember 32 bit, so any PC 2.0 gigahurts to 3.0 P4 or AMD, even a 1.5gigahurts. I still use a P3 500 megahurts windows 2000 operation system even for this..

Last edited:
Ok - thanks for the input!

I'm going to get the somewhat more costly True USB Programmer which will work in Win7, and use USB for power & data. The one I bought is USB power only, not data transfer - he'll take this one back in exchange, since I haven't actually used it. This will be the easiest route for me.

Okay but remember what I said about those USB programmers being able to properly program the 2732 chips... If you look at what it says about that one you bought it says right in the specs close to the top that it has a better supply for doing the older 2732 chips.. I've read people have problems programming these chips with the USB only ones.. But talk to who your getting it from see what they say about the USB only one programming 2732 chips ask them if they've done it...

THat willhem that have says this..

New software supports over 100 more chips Works well & stable on EPROMS: 2716, 2732..

Simon

Yes, that was my concern when looking at these to begin with, based on your findings with burning these chips.
I have been emailing back & forth with their tech guy all day on this - I made it very clear that all I want to do is read and burn 2732 chips. He says the true USB (is a completely different design than data cable style) willem has inboard DC/DC up converter IC's - he says this will provide stable voltage for writing older chips. We'll see.

Last edited:
lookforjoe:

Sorry, not to threadjack, buy I'd be very interested in how you do your fuel rail fabrication, as I had considered changing to the more conventional style injectors on my X1/9 as well. I had also thought about converting to LH jetronic, I'm glad someone is pioneering this venture for the X1/9, it may mean being able to save a lump of cash on not going straight to Megasquirt or the like (especially if I ever get the opportunity to turbo my Fiat).

I'm making my own runners to go between the plenum and the head - which will have late style injector bungs in the center instead of angled from the sides.

X19_LH22_00021.jpg

X19_LH22_00014.jpg

Once I have these mocked up with the flanges, I can figure out the rail. Probably gonna get a honda rail and redrill for the needed spacing. I was going to try and use a
Volvo rail, but the spacing is all wrong. Easier to work with a billet rail.

Last edited:
Got the Willem USB programmer. Software runs in Win7

IMG_3466_zps1f322901.jpg

Read & copied the 514bin

ScreenShot2013-12-17at71508PM_zps4da6d187.png

514 board & socket

IMG_3463_zps5266fa93.jpg

Got 5 new Intel chips to program once I figure out how to lean out the fuel map

IMG_3465_zps97693c83.jpg

Found a Honda rail that I can repurpose/re-drill for the Fiat port spacing - two ports (1, 4) align OK

X19_LH22_00016.jpg

Last edited:
Modified a LH2.4 harness for LH2.2 - removed the ECU connector & rewired into the 25 pin EZK connector (which matches the LH2.2 ECU

X19_LH22_00029.jpg

X19_LH22_00024.jpg

Cutting down the harness to match the X1/9 proportions and component locations

X19_LH22_00030.jpg

On more of a tuning note, can anyone tell me whether the values in the fuel table have to be raised or lowered to lean the map? The injectors I'm using are 16.75% lower flow than the stock 19lb'ers.

Last edited:
Modified the stock runners instead - the custom required too many angle alignments at the same time to fit - I found that the runner / plenum flanges are also offset in two planes.

X19_LH22_00034.jpg

55mm on center per pair, 135mm between pairs.

X19_LH22_00035.jpg

Honda fuel rail will need three out of four ports drilled. Going to weld an AN06 bung for the fuel line. Using 98 V70 FPR in pod - so only regulated pressure to rail, and return safer/simplified as a result.

Last edited:
Finally have the engine back in the car & starting to setup the fuel system

X19_LH22_00000.jpg

Fuel delivery uses '98 V70 FPR & modified lines, Quick release fittings.

X19_LH22_00045.jpg

Still hoping someone knows whether the map table values should be lowered or raised to lean out the map. EDIT: Regarding Map adjustments, I re-read the thread on ECUProject - lowering the table values increases fuel.

544 (2.3L) table:

IMG_3344_zpsce4c92cb.png

Saab 514 (2.0L) table:

IMG_3347_zps16388443.png

Values are lower (for the most part) in the 514 bin, I just don't understand this guys logic where he talks about % changes (in his for turbo enrichment)

ANyone have any experience at all with these maps? Any similarity to 2.4 tables?

Last edited:
Went with 16% higher values to lean out the table.

Setting up the LH (Saab MAF) intake piping

EA3BB343-7824-412A-B968-1CBED1F331F9_zpsmmo6baq2-1.jpg

5A3C9D91-A66C-4CFA-BAFB-FC7CF95317DC_zps79k2ttqj.jpg

Saab 514 ECU

IMG_4504_zpsa6fad3e5.jpg

I had mis-wired the switched feed to the ECU/system relay, once I corrected that, the motor fired up instantly. Have to fit the exhaust to the header before I can run it to warm & make adjustments.

Couldn't get it to run right with the Saab ECU/MAF. Switched them out for the Volvo 544 ECU & 007 MAF, and it's much happier. I had to lean out the MAF adjustment significantly to get the AFR's in the 14.5-15.2 range at idle. Having trouble with low idle vacuum issues that don't help.

EDIT: Problem with Saab MAF is that it's LHII (LIKE '83 240), not 2.2, so the wiring to the MAF is different. I toasted the first MAF as a result. I added a pigtail for the LHII MAF & was able to run the engine off the Saab ECU/MAF.

Last edited:
Running well with the 554 ECU & 007 MAF. Had to get a new 026 CTS, LH2.2 didn't like the M4.4 CTS.

CB76A744-D21E-45A4-BDDB-14938618CF39_zpsflcpiwff.jpg

D85EAFD2-609C-42C9-95CD-63920DD9B616_zpstuoxxttl.jpg

Next I'm going to make a EZK117 conversion. I have both 011 & 012 modules.

X19_0536.jpg

I'll make a hybrid dist using the lower half of the Fiat & the upper half of the Volvo (004)

X19_0349a.jpg

Last edited:
Did you see that you can tune the lh 2.2 eZK also? Just have to cut the 40 pin dip chip out of the ezk and get some blank chips and a 40 pin dip programmer. I can do it. I posted a tunerpro XDF for tuning the lh 2.2 ignition bins. Early style 2.2 ezk required with the two boards inside the box. Not for the later motorolla single board 2.2 ezk. Also turbo 012 or NA 011 2.2 ezk doesn't matter same depends on the chip you burn for turbo or not either will work for either.

Did you see that you can tune the lh 2.2 eZK also? Just have to cut the 40 pin dip chip out of the ezk and get some blank chips and a 40 pin dip programmer. I can do it. I posted a tunerpro XDF for tuning the lh 2.2 ignition bins. Early style 2.2 ezk required with the two boards inside the box. Not for the later motorolla single board 2.2 ezk. Also turbo 012 or NA 011 2.2 ezk doesn't matter same depends on the chip you burn for turbo or not either will work for either.

Cool! Did you make a thread on the EZK modding? Is there a pic of the board difference, or a date code to look for? I have two 012 & one 011 modules.

EDIT - found your thread with the zip file

Another EZK thread

LH2.4 W/O crank sensor

Raise Rev Limit

LH2.4 Wasted Spark

LH Chipping Thread

EZK 116K timing mod

Last edited:
Have had trouble getting rich enough AFR's under load - so I haven't pushed it. I decided to put the Bosch Yellows (200cc/20lb) used in the 960/870 NA. Warmup AFR's are more appropriate (13's), and I was able to bring the MAF voltage output down to 1.5v - warm AFR's on the WBO2 are still 14.3-15 range, & system O2 is sweeping as it should. Tomorrow I'll romp on it & see what the under load AFR's show

A3DB63EC-A0BF-4D50-AD82-F05612135F69_zpsvjuzodjw.jpg

Raised the base FP to 50psi, now I have AFR's in 14.5-15.2 range with the engine hot & the O2 disconnected - before I had very lean AFR's if I disconnected the O2.

Hybrid Distributor is almost ready

X19_0349.jpg

Ready to assemble:

X19_0350.jpg

X19_0349b.jpg

EZK module going here:

X19_0390.jpg

Last edited:
Back