• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ABS Sensor Q.

moustacio

Hi everyone, hope y'all had a nice holiday weekend.

Have a 1988 740 with the 96 tooth front abs tone rings. Would an abs/speed sensor from a car with a 48 tooth tone ring work for me? Seems like 1989 on uses the 48 tooth ring in 700/900 cars.

Ipd and Fcp show that the later sensor is not a match for my car but other sites seem to think it will work, they look the same but thought I would ask here.

Thanks for any information.

Last edited:
The speedometer may be affected. wait...I don't think the speed sensor would know the difference. BTW, if you were to disconnect both front sensors the ABS would be disabled. The light would come on, but the ABS would be disabled. I didn't like the ABS, so this is what I did to my 88 765.

Oh yeah should have mentioned: the front abs sensors for the tone rings on the front wheel hubs.

2manyturbos: thank you, I might get a hold of you about the sensors.

Lummert: thank you, and you actually helped me earlier to stop my false abs modulation by disconnecting the sensors. I recently grabbed the spindle with the correct tone rings for my car in hopes of enabling abs again and destroyed my sensors during the swap.

Are you saying that the later year sensors will likely work?

Oh yeah should have mentioned: the front abs sensors for the tone rings on the front wheel hubs.

2manyturbos: thank you, I might get a hold of you about the sensors.

Lummert: thank you, and you actually helped me earlier to stop my false abs modulation by disconnecting the sensors. I recently grabbed the spindle with the correct tone rings for my car in hopes of enabling abs again and destroyed my sensors during the swap.

Are you saying that the later year sensors will likely work?

I never confirmed whether the wiring connectors of the sensors were interchangeable.

Volvo 1363559 fits:
740 88-90
760 88-90
780 89-90
780 turbo 91
780 2.8l 87-88

Standard ALS554 fits:
88-92 740
89-90 760
89-91 780
91-95 940
92-97 960

Last edited:
I miss read your post and thought you were asking about the rear axle sensor. My friend's 1988 780 had ABS sensors on the front struts that were peeling all the insulation off of the harness. When I did a brake job for him, I used the later 940 ABS sensors on it without any issue.

Hi and thank you 2manyturbos,

That is great information and I'm happy I won't have to hunt down another car from 1988.

I was vague with my original post and went back and edited it after realizing I didn't specify the front sensors.

Thanks again guys

Back