• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C S60 T5 2001: surging problem help

keesue

San Francisco Native
Alameda, CA. (Across the bay from the city)
My wife's '01 S60 T5 is surging at idle. The tach moves about 2 to 300 RPM when idling at a stop intermittently. My guess is the ETM. Just yesterday the engine check light appeared and the surging appears to have subsided but it it too early to say there is a correlation. I also don't as of yet have a code reader. I will score one.

Do any of you S60 experts concur with the ETM guess as the culprit? Also, any recommendation for an affordable occasional usage reader/reset tool?

I would be appreciative of any input.

what mileage on the car?
was pcv done on the car?
my 04 xc 70 had same issue did pcv which was the issue and solved the problem.

Definitely check the codes, anything TPS-related points to the ETM.

The PCV can be tested with a nitrile glove over the oil filler - if there's suction you should be OK. If it inflates at all the PCV system is clogged.

Pull codes first and go from there.

I am not S60 guru, but what I would do at the shop would be pull codes and then go on our software program and see what other techs have found to be the common issue.

is your cruise control still functioning? your DSC/DSTC ? If NO then your ETM is most likely the cause.
because both CC and DSC/DSTC go offline whenever the ETM is malfunctioning.

More info I found googling: Apparently, there was a known problem with the '01 ETM. I was never informed - I am the original owner. I have no way of verifying this however. The CEL went away. There was a suggestion to turn the key on for 10 minutes to allow the CPU to reset the ETM to zero. Perhaps that helped. Now, it runs fairly normally with the occasional hint of a hunting idle at stop but no surging per se. One of the suggestions was to clean the MAF and clean the ETM. I'll also check the PVC for vacuum as well as CC/DSTC (which I never use cuz I rarely drive the car and at 77K in 16 years neither does the wife. She rides in my car most of the time.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the suggestions and pointers. I'm still open to suggestions but I think at this point it is the ETM. I'll post up the finale.

Wrap up for the record:

Cruise control and DSTC working. Got a can of CRC intake cleaner and sprayed it in after the MAF (at the intercooler junction before the intercooler). Let it bog the engine down until half can and let it sit. Fired it back up and voila! Nice and smooth - so far - well past when it should have acted up.

On another note, took a peek at the camshaft drive belt. 77K and 16 years. Nice and supple with no signs of distress. Gotta luv it.

Thanks to youse guys for the pointers.

I'd say youre on the right track with an etm issue. A new one might need Vida software so I'm not sure if you can just replace it yourself

Some still come programmed from the dealer, some don't. Cleaning does help even though it's a pain to get to them.

Back