• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No heat after cooling system overhaul.

Jressman

I just replaced the radiator, thermostat, waterpump and hoses on my 1993 Volvo 240 and it?s together and been idling for 10 minutes and NO HEAT. The engine temp gauge is right where it should be. The upper radiator hose is very hot and the lower is just warm. What?s your ideas? Thanks!

Assuming it's got the heater hoses connected and it'snot really, really low on coolant, it's probably a flaky heater control valve. Under the dash/HVAC, on top of the tunnel, driver's side footwell.

Mine is stuck open. I'm not sure which is worse. Heat all the time or heat noon of the time.

Assuming it's got the heater hoses connected and it'snot really, really low on coolant, it's probably a flaky heater control valve. Under the dash/HVAC, on top of the tunnel, driver's side footwell.

Mine is stuck open. I'm not sure which is worse. Heat all the time or heat noon of the time.

Is this something I can access pretty easily from inside the car? I don?t have to pull a dashboard so I?

No, it's (technically) accessible by just removing that lower trim and squeezing yourself partly into the footwell.

There are some rubber hoses in there that are never (normally) replaced.

You might try backflushing the heater core through the heater hoses in the engine compartment, just to make sure it's not full of crap. That can happen.

So strangely the heat is back to working great. It must have had air somewhere in the system. I let it sit for 20 minutes, took off the coolant reservoir cap and it hissed. Took it for a drive to get gas and right away it was blowing HOT air.
I deleted the AC condenser, lines and canister. Just the pump left. My AC has been out since I bought the car 5 years ago and I don?t use AC anyway. I prefer windows down. Heat is something that?s needed in Massachusetts for at least half of the year.

Always turn the heater on and run it till it blows warm then top off the coolant. A rookie move is to miss that step, ship the car, then have them overheat and blow an engine.

Always turn the heater on and run it till it blows warm then top off the coolant. A rookie move is to miss that step, ship the car, then have them overheat and blow an engine.

^this^

You just had a bubble.
Happens all the time on drain/refill.

Back