• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My idea of a 243

Duder

Watch it man, there's a beverage here!
I know there have been many versions of 243s created over the years, but whenever I see pictures of one I think it would be awesome if someone took the idea a few steps further. Instead of just a 245 minus two doors, why not make a proper compact hatchback or "shooting brake" out of one?

I did a photoshop a while back that I just found and thought I would share with the class. I started with this boring stock 245:

I moved the b-pillars back and used 242 doors like others have done, but then shortened the wheelbase. Also eliminate the original C-pillar, shorten the body behind the rear axle, and perhaps modify the rear side windows to meet up with the B-pillar.

I think this would be fun as hell to drive. A ton of bodywork, for sure. Some clever reinforcements would be needed in the floorpan, and you may want to section it just ahead of the lower trailing arm mounts and eliminate the rear seat area. The end product would kind of be the 240 equivalent of an 1800ES.

Of course I had to lower the car when I did the photochop but apparently I got lazy with the wheels.

I thought about building one of these as a 24 Hours of Lemons car but they frown on cutting large sections of wheelbase out and modifying the "crush structure."

Am I bat**** crazy or does anyone else think this would be awesome?

i think it's a bit too short. maybe chop an inch or two off the top as well.

so longer and shorter. maybe lowered.

Here's some from the Jon-Erik picture gallery.

245-243-002.jpg

245-243-010.jpg

245-243-011.jpg

There are some wagons that look great as a 2-door wagon. The 55-57 Nomad is one of them. The 245 is one that will never look good.

Ugly little nugget that is.
Front end is too long, roof too high. Keep chopping and you basically end up with a Toyota starlets retarded cousin.

Keep chopping and you basically end up with a Toyota starlets retarded cousin.

:lol:

The roof does end up looking too tall with these proportions, I agree. You could keep going, shorten the front, chop the roof, but what would be the point, right?

Don't get me wrong guys - I am in no way suggesting that anyone actually make one of these. It saddens me to know that more than one person has tried (and failed, arguably). Both of the examples posted have regular 245 front doors and are even shorter than my photochop though.

I have no illusions that the end product would be worth the time, effort or money involved to create. A better way to look at it is, what if someone gave you the keys to this thing, already 100% done? I know I would hoon the crap out of it. It would be more fun, durable and useful than most modern 3-door hatchbacks on the market. And RWD.

The purple one does look well thought out, reasonably well executed and there are a ton of body mods. In the hot rod / kustom world, chopping, sectioning and extreme body mods are just par for the course. I started the thread just to generate discussion, thinking: what if one of the really talented customizers got his hands on a 245 and decided to turn it into a hatchback?

Back