• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need info on 950 Block Coolant leak issue.

RCR

Need info on 960 Block Coolant leak issue.

Not confirmed yet but I suddenly have a leak I can not pin point from under the exhaust manifold around the 5-6 cylinder area. Nothing about this makes sense as this one is a meticulously maintained 1998 V90. It has been running Zerex ZO-5 coolant since I have owned it which is one of the few coolants which meet all the specs for VOLVO aluminum engines.
I have been smelling coolant for a few weeks and had to add for the first time this weekend. Yesterday went over all the lines checked the water pump ect. Found nothing and all the hoses were replaced within the last 60 days with all new OEM formed lines and all clamps are new + the coolant was changed. I have streaks running down the block from under the manifold and on the right side of the oil pan. I will get her up today on a lift if I can and take photos. This one is one of the last V90's with the original engine and it has right at 165K on the clock.

Last edited:
Looks to be lower and in the section of the middle main block along the cast ridges under the exhaust manifold. So far I am under her on a set of ramps today I will get it up on a lift or over a pit if I can so I can get a clearer view.
We did a head gasket only around 15K ago as she was leaking between 4 and 5.

Last edited:
DSCF0660.jpg

Is this a 6304F or S?

Don't know if it is an F or S code where do I look to find out. I have slowed the leak down a good bit by going from the green cap to a lower pressure black cap. Since I swapped caps so far I don't see any coolant dripping off the right side of the pan or smell coolant so far from the leak. However I know that the problem is still there and I need to find a solution to this SOON.

Last edited:
before you pull the head,take good look at your heater hoses/valve.jj

Valve is new and the 2 heater hoses are the only coolant hoses so far on the car I have not yet changed. I have a new pair of heater hoses in the garage so I will swap them in next week. Hard to tell exactly where it's coming from with that heat shield in place but looks like it is running down the block from well under the hard line that runs from the front of the head under the manifolds to the rear for the heater hose. Maybe the heater hose is leaking and it's running down the line then blowing back and I just can not spot it? I am not loosing much coolant but the fact that it's there really makes me wary to take her out on the road. As the State Vice Chairman of a Political Party I put over 800 miles on her in 2 days last week running a special election for State House so--.

Last edited:
Remove some stuff to get a better look, and then pressurize the system (1/4" short extension blocks the smaller coolant res. hose nicely, then just use another hose of the same size to apply pressure to the coolant res., using this method I found the leak on my whiteblock. Too bad it was the block itself...:wtf:

Year? Make? Model? mileage? engine sub-model?

I suppose this was for me, -97 s70 t5, b5234t(3?), 360k km which is something like 220k miles. Bore is excellent, but the whole block is a damn banana...
Edit: plus it is very badly cracked, and leaks coolant, lots of. And to make things perfect, the block is so warped, that the headgasket just wont seal.

Back