home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

Default Waterpump Brands

I know this thread exists a million times over, but the consensus seems to change every year or so. So here we are again. What's the current standing on Graf pumps? $10 cheaper than Hepu, both have 5 star reviews on FCP, and from what I found from 2016 threads, Hepu seemed to be slipping in quality.

Updates? The wagon is currently running the standard green, too. What's the latest on that?

I was told that all this sh1t was done, but there's oil covering the water pump at no insignificant rate, and the temp climbs a needle width or two when I climb moderate length, steep-ish hills. And PGH is made of them. I WANT THAT GAUGE THAT DOESN'T MOVE, DAMMIT! (Said the girl who smashed a hole in a 3-row this winter...)

AND THEN THERE WERE TWO (and a half)
2008 XC70 3.2: Stubborn sensor on wheels
1992 M47 240 Wagon: Why did anyone let me have anything this nice?
1990 240 DL: Parts car
1983 242 TIC +M46: Ticket to the 242 Crush Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
I have no idea what's going on, but I think I can fit more 8====D in my mouth than 240240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
Mmmmmm curvy girls and cock excess
XxJenoxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
woodenpudden
lacks goats

I don't have a comment on Graf, however, the Gates pump sold at rockauto has the same impeller design as a Hepu. I bought/installed one last month, but haven't used that engine yet.

I also installed a Gates pump on our Forester 2 years ago (no probs), and ditto on a Saab last year (also no probs).

Flunt delivers!
woodenpudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Gates is the OE manufacturer for basically every auto maker out there now. I use Gates WP's on everything at work with zero come backs for leaks/failures. They're well priced and are well built, go for it. They're $27 including the ride on RockAuto.
#mclovethesenuts

-My car: White 1991 244, 308k miles. B230F LH2.4, AW70, R134a retro. Thrush glasspack, anthracite refinished Coronas
-Wife's car: White 1990 244DL, T cam, 190k miles.B230F LH2.4, AW70 w/aux cooler, Duracool AC w/condenser fan, purple refinished Virgos, tow hitch, ipd wagon overload springs.
-PSM 2002 Subaru WRX wagon: 120k miles, Perrin TBE, Perrin turbo inlet, intake, and Y-pipe, GrimmSpeed cross pipe.
Rebuilding EJ207 shortblock to swap in this summer.
KeizerBrickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:27 AM   #4
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Grafs are not good in my opinion. Stamped wheel, flimsy bearings. I had to replace one after 13k miles on my '80 rabbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
get on my lawn
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

Well then, if I'm gonna go rockauto...

I should probs still go with a Bosch coolant temp sensor though, shouldn't I...
Old 05-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

And yeah, I asked this question before, but never got an answer because everyone just said to tighten the hose clamps down more (spoiler alert: That didn't work. Made the leak worse)...Any experience with the Mackay hoses FCP has? I have inevitably sh1t Uro hoses on the wagon, so I might as well save myself that headache later.

Edit: Unless you're gonna tell me they're on par with Continental's quality, nevermind...Rockauto has Contis for less. Just gonna end up eating the shipping.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Mackay hoses are good.

IMO URO hoses have improved over the past few years.
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #8
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

The Continentals are good. URO has improved their hoses. Can't speak to MacKay. ACDelco Professional parts are solid as well. I don't trust Bosch for anything other than electronics components on these cars...Stant or Gates for the t-stat. 190* is where it's at for most of us in the temperate/cold climates.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

I just went for the mid-range for the tstat. It seems to open a little hot on hills on warmer days, and it hasn't really been hot yet. Easy enough to swap out if I'm wrong.

Maybe I'll keep the Uros as backups. The Continentals were cheaper and even ended up shipping from the same place as the water pump, so it still came out cheaper than FCP.

SO:
Gates water pump
Continental hoses 2x
Wahler tstat 82*
Reinz cam seal 2x in case I f7ck it up (god dammit, that thing is pissing oil everywhere)
Fuel filter crush washers
Bosch coolant temp sensor
Washer fluid check valve for the rear window (It was prob dumb to pay $10 for this)

Gotta buy coolant. I want to upgrade, but also I don't want to get something harder to find in case I need emergency coolant.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Toyota red or zyrex are both excellent coolants that are affordable and available everywhere. I made the switch on all my volvos years ago and have had zero issues.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #11
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Toyota Red, Zerex, Dexcool. Dexcool you can get anywhere and you can get it in generic not made specifically by ACDelco/GM. It's come down in price per gallon of concentrate over Toyota Red. I am running Dex in both my cars without issue.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #12
PromiseRing
We don't even like Volvos

I wouldn’t buy anything but Volvo cam seals. I have seen many many leak brand new installed properly.

I use toyota red coolant and it’s great stuff.
93' 245 m47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata
95' Camry auto
Past:
80' 242gt m46
88' 245 m47
92' 940 turbo AW17

If you stop and think about it, it’s literally not worth your time to get on TBOT every day and argue about politics.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
Toyota Red, Zerex, Dexcool. Dexcool you can get anywhere and you can get it in generic not made specifically by ACDelco/GM. It's come down in price per gallon of concentrate over Toyota Red. I am running Dex in both my cars without issue.
Doesn't dexcool have the coagulation issue if combined with other coolant types?
Old 05-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #14
Homer
OEMplus++

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromiseRing View Post
I wouldn’t buy anything but Volvo cam seals. I have seen many many leak brand new installed properly.
What they said. Don't waste your time with anything else
Need something TIG welded? Give me a shout.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #15
KeizerBrickGuy
Sh*t pot stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Doesn't dexcool have the coagulation issue if combined with other coolant types?
If she is doing a new WP and t-stat; she'll be flushing the system until it runs clear and no sediment comes out before she installs her new components, so it will not be a problem.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #16
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerBrickGuy View Post
If she is doing a new WP and t-stat; she'll be flushing the system until it runs clear and no sediment comes out before she installs her new components, so it will not be a problem.
It's actually a major problem if you ever pay someone else to do your oil change and they top off your coolant with the wrong stuff (at $25/change I can't justify doing it myself). The Toyota red is compatible with all other coolants. Pretty stupid to have a coolant that will destroy an engine if one moron adds the wrong type. Not worth the $4/gal price break from the Toyota red. Zerex pink is the same price as dexcool.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #17
lummert
Board Member

I use the 5 year long life antifreeze in my Volvo. It is yellow in color/ not green.