• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dave,Paul,S-60-R Caliper Questions

MJ Dan

Hi,
Got all the goodies,Thanks for your help..Starting to Design /make mounting brackets for my 740.
Here's a couple questions I have.
-
On the opposite side / end of the brake bleeders are allen plugs.
Can they be switched ? The plug is pretty tight so I wondered if you did the switch ? or did you guys just leave the brake bleeders pointing down.
-
Any problems bleeding the air out of the brakes with the bleeders pointing downward ?

R brakes

You don't want to mount calipers with the bleeders toward the bottom. You'll never get the air out of them. Try swapping sides of the car with the calipers. If you can't do that then I guess you would have to change where the bleeder screws are. Long ago this drove my brother crazy with his Austin Healey Sprite because the previous owner had mounted the calipers on the wrong sides with the bleeders pointing down.
Best regards,

I know I'm not Dave, or Paul.

dlot said:
Try swapping sides of the car with the calipers.
From the specs on the Caliper thread, the front calipers have different sized bores. This is used to put a higher force on the trailing (if I remember correctly) end of the pad, therefor equalizing the pressure of the pad on the rotor. If you switch the calipers from left to right, the larger piston will be in the wrong spot, and uneven pad wear will result.

HTH

opeterson said:
I know I'm not Dave, or Paul.

From the specs on the Caliper thread, the front calipers have different sized bores. This is used to put a higher force on the trailing (if I remember correctly) end of the pad, therefor equalizing the pressure of the pad on the rotor. If you switch the calipers from left to right, the larger piston will be in the wrong spot, and uneven pad wear will result.

HTH

Daves and Pauls are actually indeed switched, they said it worked fine.

Snoop Dougy Doug said:
Daves and Pauls are actually indeed switched, they said it worked fine.

The reason I think they work fine is because they are not only switched left to right, they are switched from the front side of the rotor on an S60 to the rear side of the rotor (where it is on a 240... and where it should be). So the correct direction of travel is maintained for a 240. Does that sound right?
Dave B.

dbarton said:
The reason I think they work fine is because they are not only switched left to right, they are switched from the front side of the rotor on an S60 to the rear side of the rotor (where it is on a 240... and where it should be). So the correct direction of travel is maintained for a 240. Does that sound right?
Dave B.

completely.. I forgot that on the R's they are indeed on the other edge. Hey, works out right :-D

I'm tired, so this may not be right, but you check it out. I don't think it does work out. Draw a rotor, with a caliper on the left side, and hold this to your left. This is like you are looking at the left front wheel of an S60. When going in a direction from in front to behind you, this rotor is going counterclockwise, so the larger piston should be on the bottom.

Now hold it to your right. This now represents you looking at the right front wheel of a 240. When going from in front of you to behind, this is now spinning clockwise, but the larger piston is still on the bottom.

Verify?

Greg

I called Brembo Racing,As far as switching the bleeders.
The Brembo calipers with an EXternal cross over tube can be switched top to bottom.The S-60-R calipers however,have a internal cross over,so they can not be changed.
-
At Brembo they said the Front mount caliper will work ok mounted in a trailing position.ie front left moved to right rear (bleeders up ). However he noted that the brake pads will wear faster because the piston sizes would be backwards...
-
The initial bite as the rotor rotates into the caliper should be the smaller piston/s first,then trailing piston the larger.
-
Since I've spentss my moneyss and have the parts.I'll be mounting the left (leading)caliper to a trailing position on the left.
This will put the bleeders pointing down.I'll have to unbolt the calipers and rotate up ,or something to bleed the brakes. I'll just have to come up with a system.lol
But the rotation will be correct..
Dan

Back