• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tuning for RWD Me7 RN Whiteblock swaps?

blackbndt

I'm trying to get past the tuning hurdle of doing a me7 RN whiteblock swap in my 1972 142, I have my 2000 v70R as a complete donor car, but before tearing apart a perfectly good car, searched... everything points to sourcing pre-99 and m4.3-4, trying to figure out possible for tuning me7 for the swap. Main concern is the manual conversion (non Volvo T5). And as far as electronic tb goes I was going to swap out the pedals, sensors ect ect. Called ARD today but waiting on reply. I don't know much on the EMS systems either, if possible for manual swaps ect.

ardtuning.com or http://hiltontuning.com/

A lot of people have had issues with ARD's tunes, but he does also do TCM tuning and things if I remember correctly.

Hilton Tuning is a fairly new arrival, but I haven't heard a single complaint about his work, and he can do it remotely with ease.

There's also a guy in Colorado http://www.jzwtuning.com/ with the fastest Saab in America that tunes ME7, but I don't personally know anyone who has gone to him, but have read good things about a big turbo kit you can get from him that includes a tune.

Biggest problem you're going to have is the immobilizer. If you don't use the same instrument panel, immobilizer box, ecu, and key with the antenna ring on the ignition, you need to find a tuner who can hack all that out. ARD couldn't do it when I asked him to a couple years ago, Hilton seems to be the go to guy for real deep custom tuning right now. I'm running a JZW tune and it's fantastic, but you'd have to call him to find out where he is on manual swaps, he wasn't able to do them a year ago. The 99-up cars are not friendly for butchering the wire harness and using it in another car. Everything is bus networked and inter-related.

Other than that your best bet is going to be standalone like MS.

Contact us at nick@re-volvparts.com. Our in house tuner, Steve, is a whiz with me7. We have a few manual conversions on both 99-00 v70rs as well as P2 manual swaps.

Can Steve bypass the immobilizer? If so that'd be excellent news for putting ME7 into older cars.

Biggest problem you're going to have is the immobilizer. If you don't use the same instrument panel, immobilizer box, ecu, and key with the antenna ring on the ignition, you need to find a tuner who can hack all that out. ARD couldn't do it when I asked him to a couple years ago, Hilton seems to be the go to guy for real deep custom tuning right now. I'm running a JZW tune and it's fantastic, but you'd have to call him to find out where he is on manual swaps, he wasn't able to do them a year ago. The 99-up cars are not friendly for butchering the wire harness and using it in another car. Everything is bus networked and inter-related.

Other than that your best bet is going to be standalone like MS.

Can Steve bypass the immobilizer? If so that'd be excellent news for putting ME7 into older cars.

Exactly, the plan is to retro fit all of said above as best possible. dash in there with same cluster, key ect. Don't plan on butchering up the wiring as much as possible. All of the wiring from the 142 will be pulled and replaced with the v70R, Lots of extending wiring for sure. I would assume that even the v70 manual swap still are very bus networked where as the obvious T5 ford would send nothing on the loop.

I also couldn't find anything about them? I have had two ARD tunes for my 850. I've never had any real issues with ARD. His m4.3 to m4.4 conversion works well. That said, I've got a tune from RUI in the mail for my little turbo upgrade.

Why would you kill the V70R? :-(

No matter where the engine comes from I'd go with a standalone, honestly. Trying to swap over everything from the R is going to be a headache and you'll have a much easier time building a fresh wiring harness instead of chopping and splicing one that's been in a car for 15 years. If you're not planning to implement the immobilizer, ABS or stability control in the 140 there's no point in keeping the networked stuff and the ETM and they probably wouldn't work right anyway.

Why would you kill the V70R? :-(

No matter where the engine comes from I'd go with a standalone, honestly. Trying to swap over everything from the R is going to be a headache and you'll have a much easier time building a fresh wiring harness instead of chopping and splicing one that's been in a car for 15 years. If you're not planning to implement the immobilizer, ABS or stability control in the 140 there's no point in keeping the networked stuff and the ETM and they probably wouldn't work right anyway.

Will a full standalone let me bypass all that though? I was going to use immobilizer and all that because didn't see a way around it, and no plans on making ABS or stability control work, as far as ETM, I didn't see a way around that with the Me7 ecu and being able to swap to a drive by wire TB like the pre 99 do, at least I have not find out so as far as tuning.
And as far as the v70R goes, it has some issues that need worked out (tranny solenoid, 02 bank 1 sensor, gas tank is leaking from top, no propshaft, tie rods are shot, and its a salvaged title... so if I were to sell it outright at most I see $3000 as new owner will be in it another $1000 at least. Either way the v70R is gonna go. Selling it or parting it. I can part a lot of it out, body is straight, lots of R parts ect. and end up with a way cool engine swap for the 142.

Will a full standalone let me bypass all that though? I was going to use immobilizer and all that because didn't see a way around it, and no plans on making ABS or stability control work, as far as ETM, I didn't see a way around that with the Me7 ecu and being able to swap to a drive by wire TB like the pre 99 do, at least I have not find out so as far as tuning.2.

Yes, a standalone ECU will let you bypass all of that. Throw away the ME7 stuff, convert to a cable throttle body, and use VEMS or MS. If you haven't read Homer's thread, it should give you an idea of what's involved:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=219119

Yes, a standalone ECU will let you bypass all of that. Throw away the ME7 stuff, convert to a cable throttle body, and use VEMS or MS. If you haven't read Homer's thread, it should give you an idea of what's involved:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=219119

Thank you! Great clear answer, I have not read Homer's thread. I will for sure. I'm glad the swap is a go. I'll get a build thread up soon.
xc front bumper cause wrecked and couldn't find an R.

Also look up Hussein's (lookforjoe) build thread. He built an insane V70XC that is running VEMS last I checked. I know he's a member here, but his long thread is on volvospeed.

Antenna ring for the key is easy - hook the ME7 ignition wiring up to the 240's key, and keep the v70's key hot glued in place permanently sonewhere hidden in the dash!

I have done full engine swaps(not on a volvo) and took the entire engine harness, ecu, key, ignitions, and theft system from the original car.

Best, most reliable thing to do if you can get it to work.

That was my original plan when I was thinking of doing the T5 swap.

Back