• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Newb question...shocks.

700lbBench

New to Volvos, but not to European cars. I just came into possesion of a former WagonMeister car, a 1984 pale yellow 245 5 speed.
I want to cut 2.5 coils off the front and 1.75 off the back (have searched the forum bunches). My question is, I need to upgrade the shocks/struts. I have read about shortened perches and guys using either s-10 or suburban shocks...
Can someone give me a good low budget option so that I order them up and get my brick roadworthy? Thanks guys.. (Oh, I should mention that this is pretty much CurtPNWs fault. I was going to do an e-class as my next project until I saw his damn Volvo.)

Here is a pic of a couple of my other cars. Cabbie is a 16 valve swap, and the Corrado is a 1.8t swap...
2012-07-28_15-22-41_729.jpg

Last edited:
If you want budget... go to the junkyard and grab a pair of bilstein HD's from the front of a 4WD suburban

that will be cheap and should suit the car well with the stock springs cut as you suggested.

struts will be a little more expensive... try to find someone selling some second hand bilstein HD struts for a 240.

there are other low budget options using other less reputable brands of struts, but i haven't messed around with those so I won't comment on it.

Back