• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1983 242 Turbo Flatnose "theory"

koenvbr said:
240 turbo's are indeed very expensive over here (holland, belgium, etc). <snip> Finding a 242 turbo, forget it, you will never find it over here (2 are imported). All 242's T builded in belgium were shipped to the US.

Wow... and all these years I was thinking Europe always got the best Volvos. I'm shocked and now feeling like we've been selfish, taking away all your fun cars.
Dave B.

hokman said:
So does anyone agree original turbo intercooled 240 cars be called turbo evolution?
No, because any car can be converted and you won't be able to tell if all the correct parts are changed.

If there were only 5000 (or so) 242 turbos built, then yes, I can see there only being 500 "homologation specials". I think we need to find some reliable production figures for the 242 turbo if possible. Per year would be a big plus.

Lots of good info in this thread. Hope it keeps going like this. :)

I think there are a few group A cars with the quad headlights.
eggenberger1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eggenberger-Win...052146541QQcategoryZ36677QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ravennexus said:
i think he means UK. when i've been seaching the europe car sites for 240 turbo's i've only ever seen 244 and 245's for sale.

Edit, they've also bean stupidly expensive. ex there's a
1985 245 turbo in holland for a mear 6500euro's, a 1984 244turbo for 7500euro and a 1983 244 turbo for 8000euro those are autotrader holland. crazy when a 2000 euro's here buys you a nice 1993 240 torslander

but then thats pretty pricey for here as you can get aT5 with reasonable miles for that money. and early 850 GLT 20V will run you around 1000euro
that are indeed insane prices.
usually you can find em for 1000-2000 euro in resonable state. not worth the trouble imho, a newer 20 with some problems can be had for 500-1000, and a B230FT for etc for 1000, and for 3000 total a 240 turbo thats better than the original...

ravennexus said:
possibly added later or possibly just a replica espesh seen as it's got the wrong wings(fenders) on too

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc/1985/Donington-1985-05-05-011.jpg[ /IMG][/QUOTE]
and no sigle wiper in the front.... the original 240's that raced had one wiper..

i have a book with volvo production numbers, but i don't have it at home. maybe tomorrow i can finde the numbers...

hokman said:
I think there are a few group A cars with the quad headlights.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-12/523737/eggenberger1.jpg
That was a "display car". It did not have the full race equipment.
All cars that did not have the euro turbo front end where privateer cars, not factory Group A race cars. There were however a few that did race with the different front end in Group A competition.

The reason that the RHD market never got the 242, 244 or 245 turbo was very simple. The turbo would have had an extra hole in the middle of it to allow the steering column to go through. :-P

I did hear of at least one 242 turbo being imported into the UK, plus three engines. I beleive the car got exported again but the engines didn't and I beleive are still about today collecting dust.

Bertiebandit said:
The reason that the RHD market never got the 242, 244 or 245 turbo was very simple. The turbo would have had an extra hole in the middle of it to allow the steering column to go through. :-P.
Nope. I call Shennanigans on that particular Urban Legend.
This car ...
244hill_1a.jpg

... is running a custom manifold now, but was running a standard "early" 740T/760T exhaust manifold for quite a few years.

Tuff240 said:
I think we need to find some reliable production figures for the 242 turbo if possible. Per year would be a big plus.
Unfortunately I have never seen Volvo production figures for 240's broken down by engine type. But here is what I do have.
These are the total production figures for 242 bodies, listed as Volvo lists them, starting with the 1981 models, the first cars to get the B21FT.<TABLE><TR><TD>1980-81</TD><TD>17,809</TD></TR>
<TR><TD WIDTH=100>1981-82</TD><TD>17,049</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>1982-83</TD><TD>12,893</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>1983-84</TD><TD>7,887</TD></TR>
</TABLE>
In 1984 the breakdown of sales by market was:
North America 28%
Scandinavia 23%
Europe 41%
Other 8%
I don't have 1983 figures for that, but I thought it was interesting anyway.

Oddly, the book I mentioned in my first post, which is in general a very good book, makes no mention of the Group-A cars or the "flathoods". It was published in 1984 and updated in 1986, and includes detailed info on both the 83 and 84 cars (it also covers the 480Turbo and 780), but no info on Group-A racing or the cars. It does show a photo of 240's racing the Volvo Cup, but that's as close as it gets.

Anyone have any idea where to get any better figures than that? Nearly 13,000 cars in 1983 leaves us with a lot of guessing if there were actually 500 or 5,000 "flathoods".
Given the number of countries that got a 242 but not a 242Turbo, and the fact that america only got roughly 28% of total production, I don't see 5,000 "flathoods" as being possible.

Forg said:
Nope. I call Shennanigans on that particular Urban Legend.
This car ...
244hill_1a.jpg

... is running a custom manifold now, but was running a standard "early" 740T/760T exhaust manifold for quite a few years.

Got any pics? I'm very interested in that.

Question then- is the 240 turbo manifold the same as a 740 one?

Bertiebandit said:
Got any pics? I'm very interested in that.

Question then- is the 240 turbo manifold the same as a 740 one?

no it's not the mani thats the problem its downpipe. volvo would of had to make one specific for the RHD cars.

I met with two orginal Flahood owners. One told me that she got the Group-A spoiler as a "dealer option" when her husband got the car. It may be that it came with the car, and the dealer decided to make the new buyers "pay extra" for it. By the way she had the spoiler in her grage and since it was collecting dust for many years, she toss it in the trash! Ouch!!! The second owner also a woman, had to order the Flathood from a local dealer. Therefore, it did not have a window sticker. However, she gave me the orginal contract when I bought the car from her.

why would you throw out an authentic Group A spoiler from the factory!!!!??!?!? ugh! women, she prolly had no idea that they even raced, she prolly just liked how the flathood looked. worthless. do you know how much it would me to me if i could find an original flathood from an original owner who still had the spoiler from the factory!!!! priceless!!!!

It's not that Volvo didn't sell 240 turbos in Europe. They didn't sell any RHD 240 turbos. So the UK and OZ didn't get any.

I think at first they did plan on selling them but changed their mind. One of my Volvo books has a picture of a black turbo wagon in front of Harrods but you can't tell in the pic if it's left or RHD.

Wow, a 242ti EVO now your talking some smack about your car.

They DID make RHD 242's

Is it still for sale? I am very interested? Was it in good condition?

Gary
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no, given that the post was from over a year ago. Gear Whine has a habit of bumping old threads :-P

Back